3800 Ron V question...or anyone...

• Thread starter imported_Xerxeis
  • Start date
I

imported_Xerxeis

Seeing as you're the "Master" Ron, I got some questions...

My car is a 99GT

1. I just had my resonator cut and i love the new rumble of my car, people say they sound like lawnmowers, but mine just grumbles. But i've notices either one or both of my mufflers are gutting themselves. do you have any input on either or not i should just cut them both and do straight pipes? I'm eventually buying 2 flowmaster 70's whenever my friend gets them cut off his camero, but would it be too damn loud without the mufflers?

2. Downpipes...I've done some searching around, and i've read about your downpipes and gutted cats...what should i do? One of these years i do plan on getting some headers, but untill then would it be possible to do a 3in dp? Eventually i would like to do 3in all around, but i'm having to do my exaust in pieces as you can probably tell due to money issues...Since i've got a GT and it's not supercharged, i dont have to worry about any backpressure on my system correct? so a catless system would cause me minimal to no issues except for the occasional O2 code.

I really want to do this right, but i'm just not sure what is "right". Right now whever i give my car some decent throttle over 3, or if i just rev my engine in neutral/park, my exhaust sounds good except for the rattling of the mufflers, even before the res was cut out. I'd like my exhause louder, but not too loud, with a rather agressive tone when i give it some gas. So far i've also notices none of the "drone" that no res causes, only thing i hear is my engine revving up :)

Sorry for all the questions, i hope you can help me.

Thanks for reading and trying to comprehend what i'm wanting...

Xerx

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Seeing as you're the "Master" Ron, I got some questions...

My car is a 99GT

1. I just had my resonator cut and i love the new rumble of my car, people say they sound like lawnmowers, but mine just grumbles. But i've notices either one or both of my mufflers are gutting themselves. do you have any input on either or not i should just cut them both and do straight pipes? I'm eventually buying 2 flowmaster 70's whenever my friend gets them cut off his camero, but would it be too damn loud without the mufflers?

2. Downpipes...I've done some searching around, and i've read about your downpipes and gutted cats...what should i do? One of these years i do plan on getting some headers, but untill then would it be possible to do a 3in dp? Eventually i would like to do 3in all around, but i'm having to do my exaust in pieces as you can probably tell due to money issues...Since i've got a GT and it's not supercharged, i dont have to worry about any backpressure on my system correct? so a catless system would cause me minimal to no issues except for the occasional O2 code.

I really want to do this right, but i'm just not sure what is "right". Right now whever i give my car some decent throttle over 3, or if i just rev my engine in neutral/park, my exhaust sounds good except for the rattling of the mufflers, even before the res was cut out. I'd like my exhause louder, but not too loud, with a rather agressive tone when i give it some gas. So far i've also notices none of the "drone" that no res causes, only thing i hear is my engine revving up :)

Sorry for all the questions, i hope you can help me.

Thanks for reading and trying to comprehend what i'm wanting...

Xerx
[/b]

no mufflers will sound horrible IMHO. i have heard a couple cars straight pipes, and you wont be happy. i dont know about the flowmasters, as i have never heard the 70 series, but the 40's sound pretty good. i would stick with a cat if you plan on getting louder mufflers, or it will sound like a lawn mower lol. sound good idleing, but these motors sound like ass WOT unless you are turbo'd.

as for the dp, a 3" dp is a GREAT investment, and is a 'must-do' mod if you dont have headers. you will notice a nice drop of KR if you are running a smaller pulley on the stock dp. if done right, PEM's and 3"dp combo can be a pretty nice combo. however with the price of headers dropping drastically, hp/$$ you are almost better off holding off and just getting the headers.

im not mr. vogel, but my .02 may help...

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
lol thanks shaun

either way, a 3" dp will make a huge difference in any application (3800 anyway). and straight pipes DO sound nasty on any 3800...

and PEM's and 3" dp can help out an n/a car for sure, headers will increase the gains, a nice set of SLP's or SnS headers will do you good...lol il shut up now

*pulls foot out of mouth*

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I would try a single large glasspack where the resonator is, then straight pipes. It will sound deep and rumbly inside and out, but shouldn't drone too bad (it will be on the loud side though). W/O the resonator, the car will sound like ass outside, but inside you probably won't hear the rasp. Whatever you do, remember that an exhaust on our cars is purely cosmetic/asthetic. It won't improve you're performance with more HP. However, the stock exhaust is pretty heavy, if you lighten it a bit, it will help the car wind up quicker.

If you're limited on budget, just delete the u-bend and resonator, leave the stock muffs and put your money in to ER rockers or N20 if you need some more get up and go. The car will sound racier without the res/u-bend, but shouldn't bee too raspy.

im not mr. vogel, but my .02 may help...[/b]
nail on the head, GT/GTP, either way, noise control (or rice control!)

I

imported_Xerxeis

I dont notice much of a drone though, only bad sounding thing i can hear is the wapping noise from the bad muffler(s)

i'm not truly looking for any performance gains from the exhause, just the sound, nothing loud and obnoxious just something deep and grumbly, like a v8 (though nothing would probably be close)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list