3800 Im going to uppercut some bitches in the taint

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So I get a set of HIDs in last weekend. I installed them on Sunday and flipped the switch. Only one worked. :angry: :angry:

So after switching EVERYTHING around, I find that one of the wiring harnesses is messed up. Sweet. Its a 2 dollar part. Well, Jacques dad insisted that it was a burnt connection in my car and not the harness since he tested the harness and it is running current. Even after I take the time to switch everything out on both sides. "I got lucky and made a connection". Whatever. Go fuck a dog or something.

So I goto Redline on Roselle and Nerge to see if they can help out, or at least sell me another harness. I get the same treatment. They test the harness and it "should" work. Even after I explained everything that I did and offered to show them as well. "You cannot work on your car in the parking lot and we are busy". I flipped. It can supposedly work all day but its NOT FUCKING WORKING. I wasted my time again this afternoon switching everything around to make sure I was not some dumbass and guess what?? I got the same results.

Uppercut to the taint FTW!!!!!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The harness on the Grand Prix sucks. You need the HD harness or you need to rev your motor to kick up the voltage to the lights when they start. 95% of the time only one light came on on my GP. I got tired of reving it up and the capsules on the GP don't take advantage of the HIDs anyhow so I just pulled them.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Hrm, interesting. If the douche bag that sits outside ever gets back from doing a tour, Ill shoot outside real quick and hook up the other bulb and harness real quick and try reving the car up. I always just tested them by switching the lights on and not by actually turning the car on. Makes sense now if that is the case.

However, now that I think about it. I would only have one HID hooked up with the harness in question and it wouldnt do jack. While the other one will fire up all the time no matter where it is hooked up.

Ill try it for shits and giggles. I dont have anything else to do.

On second though, its too cold and dark to be cursing under my hood tonight.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Hey James. The baby is doing well. Growing fast. I proposed at the Hancock on the observatory. However, that front is another story that I dont want to get into.

Mike, it didnt work. Even with that harness being the only one drawing power, it would not work no matter what the combo is. The other harness will work on both balasts, with both bulbs.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by Fish@Oct 31 2006, 01:01 AM
Hey James. The baby is doing well. Growing fast. I proposed at the Hancock on the observatory. However, that front is another story that I dont want to get into.

Mike, it didnt work. Even with that harness being the only one drawing power, it would not work no matter what the combo is. The other harness will work on both balasts, with both bulbs.
[snapback]144216[/snapback]​

Brian, do you have a pic of the harness and / or the whole system?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Brian, that's exactly what my car was doing and typically kicking up the idle would fix it. It sounds like you would benefit from one of the aftermarket harnesses that use the stock fittings for just a signal and draw power directly from the battery.

The stock W Body headlights/ wiring leave a lot to be desired.

I piut HID's in the pace car back in 1999. I had made my own harness to work with those bulbs. I never ever had a problem with them. they always fired right up. Stupid question, but did you diable the DRL's? Because that would cause those bulbs to get half the power. The HID's are only 35 watt but they require a startup surge of like 10,000 volts. The stock harness has problems here. If you need me to make you a harness, let me know.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Cool alex. Ill be there, but I have to leave kinda early since I have to work that night. The kit that I got does not hook up to the battery or the fuse box. Its a direct plug and play to the wiring harness for the bulb.

Like I said, it just really concerns me that with the harness in the car now, I can hook it up to any balast with any bulb and it will work.

The harness in question can be the ONLY (IE single, uno, opposite of two or dose :p) one hooked up, be on any balast, with any bulb and not work. I dont even hear the little hum the balast gives when I attempt to turn it on. While the other one will turn on without hesitation. Just does not add up when you really think about it.

I also have to find a screw that will hold the drivers side housing in place since one screw fell out. Only leaving one more holding it to the bracket. And actually aim the light up since the beam lands probably 3 feet away from the bumper. And Im waiting for a passanger side bracket since the clip broke thus giving me a shakey and pointing to the right passanger light. This blows. :lolsign:

I

imported_GraFFix

Thats the problem...my HID kit connected directly to the stock harness...with the upgraded wire harness that connects directly to the battery then you connect the HID kit to that...viola more power no strobbin and the HID's work great!

Although one of my HID bulbs is now burnt out so ive been running stock lights for a while and it blows.

Bk4293

Regular
Aug 31, 2008
My HID's wont work in my car without the upgraded headlight harness...I got mine from http://www.suvlights.com/
[/b]

Hey Joe,
Lemmee get this straight, the harness changes the HIDs to run straight off the battery when it senses voltage going through the harness?

So this would be the perfect solution to my DRL flashing problem in the 2006, ya' think?

In the words of Tina......"I twink I Wubb You Kebbin!!!!" (Please Substitute your name for Kevins)

Bk4293

Regular
Aug 31, 2008
Well guys, being creative, and being on a budget I was planning on building my own Harness. I went to radio shack and purchased the relay for $6.99 and was going to attempt to build my own harness. Accto the site that Joe posted, it's only one relay....For the lows and one for the highs. Being a 2006 and using 9006 bulbs (Seperate bulbs for highs and lows) I decided I only needed one relay.

Then today after not being able to find my crimpers ddecided to take a ride to the rice shop (Pep-Boys) over on Grand and Oak Park. While looking around through various electronic shit, I came across something very interesting......

$19.99 + tax.....Can you guess what I bought?

I'm going to try installing this in a few and keep you guys updated, this might be a cheaper fix to the SUV Lights harness. This relay has the same number/names for the pins, just a different layout as the relay listed on www.SuvLights.com (4 pin - 30,85,86,87) and is also listed as 12V 30 amps just like the formentioned relay.

The 12V Switched wire (From your stock headlight plug) is 22 awg wire
The wire going to the HIDs is 18 awg I believe.

There is also an On/Off button that comes with the kit that I might play with, but from what I read if power isn't going through on of your dashboard indicator lights come on...(2004+)

If one of you guys with the updated harness could post the wire gauges on the harness you ordered I'd really appreciate it.

Keep ya updated

Steve

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info