3800 A/C Clutch

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by GraFFix@Oct 26 2006, 12:28 PM
Mine was doing the same thing...I bought a used compressor from pictor and havent had a problem since. Not sure how hard it is to change out the clutch but its pretty dam easy to change the compressor
[snapback]143800[/snapback]​

yeah, im leaning towards gettin one from ed, just a bit disapointing that its gonna be a bit hefty to ship :)

what all did you have to remove to chage the compressor?

from looking at it, at least going from underneath, shouldnt have to remove much.
if were taking it out from top, would have to remove motor mount, fan, lower rad. hose, etc....

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Oct 26 2006, 03:08 PM
Measure the cluth gap and check the OK specs.......Ive seen them warped as well so check in a few spots w the feeler gauge..

Fogot what the spec is on it though.
[snapback]143814[/snapback]​

so are you suggesting that the clutch just might be out of alignment or ?

it sounds to me like the little clutch 'fingers'/peices are wobbling, but its kinda intermittent so far

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
i've gotta replace mine too....is it really necessary to replace the condenser? i did an engine swap and left the same condensor and my A/C works great.

my A/C clutch is making a grinding noise, it almost sounds like i have a huge vacuum leak. i'm going to throw in the A/C compressor from my old L36....one thing though? does the compressor even fit out of the bottom? it looks almost like it's so big you'd have to pull the engine to get to it!

~Nick

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Technically, you are always suppose to replace the reciever/dryer or accumulator any time you open up the system.......such as doing the AC compressor.

A good deal of shops do not do this because the customer doesnt want to pay for. it.....

Although they will probably buy another compressor in a few years again because of excess moisture in the system.........the compressor can not compress water.....

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Oct 28 2006, 03:26 PM
Technically, you are always suppose to replace the reciever/dryer or accumulator any time you open up the system.......such as doing the AC compressor.

A good deal of shops do not do this because the customer doesnt want to pay for. it.....

Although they will probably buy another compressor in a few years again because of excess moisture in the system.........the compressor can not compress water.....
[snapback]144021[/snapback]​

couldn't there be a way to "dry out" the accumulator? i'm honestlyn ot certain how it works, but it seems like there would be a way to get the moisture out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Toasty
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list