3800 Brake/ABS question

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
A couple weeks ago we were out at Staceys and I noticed that my ABS light came on. I figured it was a wheel speed sensor and would take care of it later. Only really NEED ABS in the winter.

However, it doesnt come on all the time. And when it doesnt, the ABS will pulse as I brake while in a turn. (usually always a right turn) Sometimes the ABS light comes on then, and some times it doesnt.

Ive worn brakes out before and didnt notice any ABS light on. Could it still be a wheel speed sensor only, or you think I need some new pads as well??

TIA

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Sounds JUST like my car.. FIRST check the wiring, it could be shorting out, hence why it is intermittent, and or happens in a turn. Otherwise its more then likely a HUB. Mine is definately the drivers front HUB, sometimes I apply the brakes and the ABS does its thing (under normal braking) sometimes the ABS light comes on right after startup, and other times the car will be fine throughout the duration of the trip.

Oh yeah, the grinding / growling noise was a dead give away that my DF HUB was starting to go bad. BUT Ive had a HUB that made no noise, just died.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Sep 21 2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds JUST like my car.. FIRST check the wiring, it could be shorting out, hence why it is intermittent, and or happens in a turn. Otherwise its more then likely a HUB. Mine is definately the drivers front HUB, sometimes I apply the brakes and the ABS does its thing (under normal braking) sometimes the ABS light comes on right after startup, and other times the car will be fine throughout the duration of the trip.

Oh yeah, the grinding / growling noise was a dead give away that my DF HUB was starting to go bad. BUT Ive had a HUB that made no noise, just died.
[snapback]140257[/snapback]​

I'm having that problem right now, the ABS pulsing under a good brake, but nowhere near the amount of pressure that would be necessary for the ABS to engage. I get no lights though, and my hubs arent making any noise. Brakes are brand new all around with freshly rebuilt calipers all around (new boots, sliders, comptetely cleaned, new lube). I didn't bleed the brakes out, could air in the line cause this. Oh, it did all this before the brake job as well. Sorry for the novel.
CJ

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Sep 22 2006, 03:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaturdaysGS
@Sep 21 2006, 09:30 PM

[snapback]140257[/snapback]​

I'm having that problem right now, the ABS pulsing under a good brake, but nowhere near the amount of pressure that would be necessary for the ABS to engage. I get no lights though, and my hubs arent making any noise. Brakes are brand new all around with freshly rebuilt calipers all around (new boots, sliders, comptetely cleaned, new lube). I didn't bleed the brakes out, could air in the line cause this. Oh, it did all this before the brake job as well. Sorry for the novel.
CJ
[snapback]140361[/snapback]​
[/b]

You probably should bleed the brakes / replace the fluid (or atleast as much as possible).. I just drove 300 or so miles this weekend (150 each way about) and got ZERO ABS problems, but on Thursday I got the pulsate when braking and the car lunged forward and went a wee bit further then I would have liked when I was stopping, well attempting to stop for a stop sign. About 5 minutes later the ABS light came on. For me I'm sure its the HUB, but for you, it MIGHT be air in the lines, or a HUB who's ABS sensor is starting to go screwy. Like I said, I had one HUB grind and grind and grind and set no light, I had another make no noise, but start to slowly act (randomly working, sometimes random pulsation), and then this one the whirs, and randomly acts up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Fish
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list