staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
Thursday, September 14, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM
Analyst predicts plunge in gas prices

By Kevin G. Hall

McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The recent sharp drop in the global price of crude oil could mark the start of a massive sell-off that returns gasoline prices to lows not seen since the late 1990s — perhaps as low as $1.15 a gallon.

"All the hurricane flags are flying" in oil markets, said Philip Verleger, a noted energy consultant who was a lone voice several years ago in warning that oil prices would soar. Now, he says, they appear to be poised for a dramatic plunge.

Crude-oil prices have fallen about $14, or roughly 17 percent, from their July 14 peak of $78.40. After falling seven straight days, they rose slightly Wednesday in trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, to $63.97, partly in reaction to a government report showing fuel inventories a bit lower than expected. But the overall price drop is expected to continue, and prices could fall much more in the weeks and months ahead.

Here's why:

For most of the past two years, oil prices have risen because the world's oil producers have struggled to keep pace with growing demand, particularly from China and India. Spare oil-production capacity grew so tight that market players feared that any disruption to oil production could create shortages.

Fear of disruption focused on fighting in Nigeria, escalating tensions over Iran's nuclear program, violence between Israel and Lebanon that might spread to oil-producing neighbors, and the prospect that hurricanes might topple oil facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.

Oil traders bet that such worrisome developments would drive up the future price of oil. Oil is traded in contracts for future delivery, and companies that take physical delivery of oil are just a small part of total trading. Large pension and commodities funds are the big traders and they're seeking profits. They've sunk $105 billion or more into oil futures in recent years, according to Verleger. Their bets that oil prices would rise in the future bid up the price of oil.

That, in turn, led users of oil to create stockpiles as cushions against supply disruptions and even higher future prices. Now inventories of oil are approaching 1990 levels.

But many of the conditions that drove investors to bid up oil prices are ebbing. Tensions over Israel, Lebanon and Nigeria are easing. The hurricane season has presented no threat so far to the Gulf of Mexico. The U.S. peak summer driving season is over, so gasoline demand is falling.

With fear of supply disruptions ebbing, oil prices began sliding. With oil inventories high, refiners that turn oil into gasoline are expected to cut production. As refiners cut production, oil companies increasingly risk getting stuck with excess oil supplies. There's already anecdotal evidence of oil companies chartering tankers to store excess oil.

advertising
All this is turning financial markets increasingly bearish on oil.

"If we continue to build inventories, and if we have a warm winter like we had last winter, you could see a large fall in the price of oil," said Gary Pokoik, who manages Hedge Ventures Energy in Los Angeles, an energy hedge fund. "I think there is still a lot of risk in the market."

As it stands now, the recent oil-price slump has brought the national average for a gallon of unleaded gasoline down to $2.59, according to the AAA motor club. In the Seattle area, prices per gallon have fallen to $2.856 currently from $3.071 a month ago, a decline of 7 percent, according to AAA.

Should oil traders fear that this downward price spiral will get worse and run for the exits by selling off their futures contracts, Verleger said, it's not unthinkable that oil prices could return to $15 or less a barrel, at least temporarily. That could mean gasoline prices as low as $1.15 per gallon.

Other experts won't guess at a floor price, but they agree that a race to the bottom could break out.

"The market may test levels here that are too low to be sustained," said Clay Seigle, an analyst at Cambridge Energy Research Associates, a consultancy in Boston.

On Monday, the oil-producing cartel OPEC hinted that if prices fall precipitously, OPEC members would cut production to lift them. But that would take time.

"That takes six to nine months. If we don't have a really cold winter here [creating a demand for oil], prices will fall. Literally, you don't know where the floor is," Verleger said. "In a market like this, if things start falling ... prices could take you back to the 1999 levels. It has nothing to do with production."

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

One day there high then low then high then low

I

imported_1fastGTP

Originally posted by staceyyearsich@Sep 15 2006, 08:24 AM
Well according to that its going to drop..but I just don't know cause it seems it'll drop then it just goes right back up... 

Its about 60-70 to fill up my truck ..I hate gas prices I cringe going to the pump
[snapback]139470[/snapback]​

yea i know it really is a pain in the ass. i just hope this article is right about it dropping otherwise people wont be very happy... i remember when it was like 1.25ish and we thought that was getting expensive then it hit 2.00 and then we were like AHHH now it hit 3 and everyone is like great waiting for it to hit the 5.00 mark. but if it goes back down we will save a good chunk of change for food and what not! :)

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by staceyyearsich@Sep 15 2006, 09:27 AM
Its pretty bad when ur excited about gas being 2.50 ain't it
[snapback]139481[/snapback]​

Forsure on that. I remember paying a $1.00 per gallon when I was 16 (I'm 24). IMO I think gas dropped due to the fact that summer is just about over. That means less kids are out driving, less lollygaggers roaming around and what not. Wait until next summer. I think it will go backup to how it was this past summer.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
you guys don't seem to be aware of the multi billion dolller oil pumping/refining station being built in russia.
it's going to be the largest oil rig ever made and it's expected to lower gas prices significently if demand doesn't sky rocket.

russia is sitting on one of the worlds largest oil reserves and until now it hasn't been tapped because in order to tap that reserve you need to build a pipe system that's some 60 miles long because oil rigs can't get to the site because the area is always to cold and the water is always frozen.

the oil is being pumped halfway down the country to a small island where oil tankers will be able to pickup the oil with out running into iceburgs and creating tons of natual disasters.

that's going to be a fun environment to work in with it being winter most of the time and even summer is still like winter.

edit: you guys should actually be thankful you're not paying $5 a gallon yet like some other areas of the world are. if I had it my way I would ban the sale of SUV's and most smaller pickup trucks if you couldn't prove you needed it for a business. I'm sick of seeing ONE guy driving escelades, suburbans.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Forsure on that. I remember paying a $1.00 per gallon when I was 16 (I'm 24). IMO I think gas dropped due to the fact that summer is just about over. That means less kids are out driving, less lollygaggers roaming around and what not. Wait until next summer. I think it will go backup to how it was this past summer.
I remember that. I used to fill my Tempo for $10.00 and I still couldn't afford gas! :lol:

11 - 13 mpg average here and about $120 to fill! :unsure:
eatyourbabies.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
DSC01033.jpg

I remember taking this pic of what was then crazy gas prices. I think I took it April 2004. If anyone knows the Schaumburg area the BP on Golf and Meacham probably sells the most expensive gas in all of the Chicago area besides the loop. At the time April 2004 this was the first station I saw that was selling gas for over $2.00 a gallon. So I took a picture. A few months ago 93 was over $4.00 a gallon at this same station.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
would be nice if it dropped,
i wish i could pay 40 a week. im near 130 a week easily(if i dont have any plans going downtown that weekend,add 30-40 if so)i do remember prices around a $1 somthing. the summer i got my license was the first summer they jumped out of hand and have been trapped there ever since. ive never gotten to pay low prices for gas. to me the prices are almost a norm......kinda sad.
i still love how race gas prices were really never affected($.20 diff if any)

yeah tempos are the shit on gas ....just as good as a civic(almost),but ALOT uglier

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mike K I like them trucks my buddy has one and the king ranch addition I love the leather in that make its like a horse saddle.. IMO, lots of people dont
King Ranch is the shiat! I think those seats are half suade. I'm going to end up putting those in the truck. Then I can move houses and pull tree stumps out of the ground in comfort.

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
Originally posted by Mike K@Sep 15 2006, 01:20 PM
Mike K I like them trucks my buddy has one and the king ranch addition I love the leather in that make its like a horse saddle.. IMO, lots of people dont
King Ranch is the shiat! I think those seats are half suade. I'm going to end up putting those in the truck. Then I can move houses and pull tree stumps out of the ground in comfort.
[snapback]139534[/snapback]​

My buddy uses his to pull a horse trailor LOL..in comfort.. he had no suede.. I want that leather in my truck where can I get that at??

I gotta drive to Kentucky--red mile next wk so I hope the gas goes down more :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info