3800 So I'm going to paint my bass

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
I"m probabally going to put this symbol on it in black as well.

sym-hathor.gif

The symbol of the egyptian goddess hathor, goddess of music, art, and joy.

and she is also often depicted with bulls horns, which looks similar to the sign of taurus which i am, so it all kinda connects.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Sep 12 2006, 08:58 PM
hey Kyle, how much of that paint do you have leftover?? 
CJ
[snapback]138985[/snapback]​

to be honest i'm not sure, I havent looked yet I'll let you know once the bass is done how much I got left.

And its a Dean bass, with active pickups. I'm a guitar player first, then bass, then sreaming, then drums most recently, which I'm enjoy quite a bit.

I'd like to paint my guitar but the bass is much less important to me so I figured I learn the process on the bass, then once I think I got it I'll give it a shot on the guitar. I actually used alcohol and removed all the stickers and crap that I had on my guitar and it looks great now so I dont even know if I will paint the guitar at all.

Also I decided that I'm going to make the symbol on the vinyl printer at the shop, and then just put it over the paint job and then clear coat over it, instead of painting it on there.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I've done a few paint jobs on guitars, and automotive paint works well.

Instruments are a different animal than a car though. Little imperfections and orange peel can be overlooked on a car, but not on a guitar. You need to do some stellar prep work before the paint, and you will also need to wet sand after the clear, and lay down a second clear after the first one...which you can't do for a week or two depending on the clear you use or it'll gas ghost. You can't really wet sand a metallic, so you need to get all the little fuzz and dust off before the first clear, use tack cloths and compressed (filtered) air.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
So my intentions in short are.

Remove all original paint, sand like crazy, mask, apply sanding sealer, sand, primer, sand, paint, wait a month, apply vinyl, clear coat, wet sand.

That sound like a good plan or am I missing sometihng or have some steps in wrong order, thats just off the top of my head.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info