3800 Key Wont Come Out

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by ClubGPGTT@Sep 11 2006, 01:36 PM
me and one other of my friends have been having problems getting our key out...it as is the cars still in drive and wont let u take the key out...but its in park....u have to dick with it a few times for it to come out and it happens randomly, anyway if anyone know anything it would help..thanks
[snapback]138707[/snapback]​

There should be a pin hole key release underneath the steering column. Insert a thin screwdriver and feel around for a button. Hit the button and the key will come out.

In most the cases, this is a bad key module - where the key is inserted (cant think of the actual name - help me out) and it needs to be replaced ($300 dealer.)

There is a cheaper fix. It involves taking the key housing off and permanently tie / glue / keep the release button depressed at all times.

This is a common problem. Im sure some people can put in more details.

J.E.T.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Sep 11 2006, 04:40 PM
there is a lock in the floor shifter that if it is not fully engaged it will not let the key release cause the car doesn't "think" the car is in park
[snapback]138742[/snapback]​

thats what it fucking was! I couldn't remember it happened back in HS like 5 years ago

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by 2000gpgt@Sep 11 2006, 10:18 PM
go snag a new shifter assembally from ed or ebay. I got one for $10 when mine went bad. It a lot cheaper and easier then the ignition switch in the column.
[snapback]138817[/snapback]​

X2

Sometimes, you can milk it along by moving the shifter back and forth and kinda jam it into park, but eventually it will need to be fixed right. I have never really had to fix one, so not sure of a official "fix" other than replacement.
CJ

I

imported_GraFFix

Mine was the same thing Jet mentioned...For the longest time I just used to use my finger to push the little button to release my key. then I came up with a quick fix with a short nut and bolt. Havent had to touch it since.

Although on my car i have a few issues with those types or releases...lol

My key wont come out of the ignition without my little nut and bolt fix and also I cant get my car out fo park even when I hit the brakes so I had to rig up something to hold down that emergency release button next to the shifter for that. But hey it all works now! got to love those 97's LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info