3800 R.I.P. 164,524 Miles

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Well Im glad to say I got the most out of this tranny. But today I went to get some food and 1st gear just slipped. SO I limped her home. Now I lost 3rd and OD. If I actually put the car into 1st gear it will limp . If I put it into 2nd it also limps. But put her in 3rd nada and D nada. Hey at least revers still works. Guess I can learn to drive backwards..LOL!!

Guess even the lucas oil cant help this tranny.

So if anyone knows where to get a fresh rebuild at a reasonable price let me know.

Does LpSpeed shop still do tranny rebuilds? And are they affordable. I dont want a race tranny Just a normal one that can give the car a cple thousand miles more! :ph34r:

Also I need to get this in ASAP!

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by alexgtp@Sep 9 2006, 12:40 PM
Well Im glad to say I got the most out of this tranny. But today I went to get some food and 1st gear just slipped. SO I limped her home. Now I lost 3rd and OD. If I actually put the car into 1st gear it will limp . If I put it into 2nd it also limps. But put her in 3rd nada and D nada. Hey at least revers still works. Guess I can learn to drive backwards..LOL!!

Guess even the lucas oil cant help this tranny.

So if anyone knows where to get a fresh rebuild at a reasonable price let me know.

Does LpSpeed shop still do tranny rebuilds? And are they affordable. I dont want a race tranny Just a normal one that can give the car a cple thousand miles more! :ph34r:

Also I need to get this in ASAP!
[snapback]138384[/snapback]​

Yes he does We just dropt joe's gp off yesterday night/ this morning, they do good work they did my Gp and my dad's... and 164K isn't bad, I think my moms tranny on her gp croaked at 140K

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
My last transmission was (reman) installed in May..50,000 miles.
I have 55,000 on this f'n POS, now first and OD are already starting to slip! :angry:
I don't romp on my car - just on occasion. I am covered under GMPP extended warranty, but the warranty adjuster knows i'm modded and told me so. I dunno wtf to do!
These transmissions SUCK!!!
It's my guess my GTP is making roughly 250whp

cliff notes:

3.4 pulley with supporting mods - 3rd transmission due soon with under 60K
Not one single 1/4 mile pass @ the track yet

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Sep 9 2006, 01:08 PM
My last transmission was (reman) installed in May..50,000 miles.
I have 55,000 on this f'n POS, now first and OD are already starting to slip! :angry:
I don't romp on my car - just on occasion.  I am covered under GMPP extended warranty, but the warranty adjuster knows i'm modded and told me so. I dunno wtf to do!
These transmissions SUCK!!!
It's my guess my GTP is making roughly 250whp

cliff notes:

3.4 pulley with supporting mods - 3rd transmission due soon with under 60K
Not one single 1/4 mile pass @ the track yet
[snapback]138387[/snapback]​

do you have a pcm that commands increased line pressure? I have more mods then you and 140k on my stock tranny.

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by xierxior@Sep 9 2006, 11:13 PM
do you have a pcm that commands increased line pressure? I have more mods then you and 140k on my stock tranny.
[snapback]138421[/snapback]​

My performance shift was never enabled. When sinnerBob scanned for me it showed that my DHP isn't so equipped AND DHP will not return my emails.

having said that, EDITED OUT :angry:

i'm stuck with a new in the box performance shift knob that's useless to me

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by ThaLord@Sep 10 2006, 12:37 AM
Have you created a "ticket" on their online support system?

Seems most people say that's the best way to get ahold of them.

What isn't your DHP equipped with, that you thought it was?

Usually a well mannered post will give you a better response than a negative one.
[snapback]138431[/snapback]​

I submitted to them my DHP problem twice without a single reply - they were both sensible and nicely worded in the ticket.

And yes, i thought my v1.0 was equipped with performance shift.
After being ignored by them i feel it's my duty to let others know how i was dealt with.
I don't care if zzp and DHP have negative issues with each other (that's where i purchased mine from) they should treat the customer in a more professional manor rather than just ignore me and maybe i'll go away.
Whoever the dude was i spoke with at zzp on the phone said that my 2001 wasn't equipped with perf. shift from the factory so therefore it's always on, i just need a switch to disable it.
After the scan it proved that my DHP v1.0 doesn't even have it in the file!
So yeah if my previous post seemed hostile or pissed-off it's because i am, and i was being nice in my last post.

This is bullshit

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Sep 10 2006, 12:18 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ThaLord
@Sep 10 2006, 12:37 AM
Have you created a "ticket" on their online support system?

Seems most people say that's the best way to get ahold of them.

What isn't your DHP equipped with, that you thought it was?

Usually a well mannered post will give you a better response than a negative one.
[snapback]138431[/snapback]​

I submitted to them my DHP problem twice without a single reply - they were both sensible and nicely worded in the ticket.

And yes, i thought my v1.0 was equipped with performance shift.
After being ignored by them i feel it's my duty to let others know how i was dealt with.
I don't care if zzp and DHP have negative issues with each other (that's where i purchased mine from) they should treat the customer in a more professional manor rather than just ignore me and maybe i'll go away.
Whoever the dude was i spoke with at zzp on the phone said that my 2001 wasn't equipped with perf. shift from the factory so therefore it's always on, i just need a switch to disable it.
After the scan it proved that my DHP v1.0 doesn't even have it in the file!
So yeah if my previous post seemed hostile or pissed-off it's because i am, and i was being nice in my last post.

This is bullshit
[snapback]138437[/snapback]​
[/b]

something isn't right with your level of mods theres no way you should be frying clutches that quickly unless your trans isn't commanding the proper line pressure which is causing the clutches to slip.
I'm not positive that's the case tho I mean that reman trans you had installed could have been rebuilt improperly to.

edit: to put things into perspective I changed my trans fluid at 100k and when I dropped the pan I barely had any clutch material on the magnet. have you tried dropping the pan yet to see if theres aton of clutch material floating around?

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by xierxior@Sep 10 2006, 01:26 AM

something isn't right with your level of mods theres no way you should be frying clutches that quickly unless your trans isn't commanding the proper line pressure which is causing the clutches to slip.
I'm not positive that's the case tho I mean that reman trans you had installed could have been rebuilt improperly to.

edit: to put things into perspective I changed my trans fluid at 100k and when I dropped the pan I barely had any clutch material on the magnet. have you tried dropping the pan yet to see if theres aton of clutch material floating around?
[snapback]138439[/snapback]​

I don't even own a jack ...
Sometime this week i'm gonna de-mod and take it to the stealership.
To be honest the reman tranny never felt right to me.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Sep 10 2006, 12:42 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior
@Sep 10 2006, 01:26 AM

[snapback]138439[/snapback]​

I don't even own a jack ...
Sometime this week i'm gonna de-mod and take it to the stealership.
To be honest the reman tranny never felt right to me.
[snapback]138443[/snapback]​
[/b]

remember, deny deny deny deny.. your car is 100 percent stock.

Originally posted by xierxior@Sep 10 2006, 01:46 AM

[snapback]138444[/snapback]​
Oh hell yeah!

With the engine cover and stock pulley my car looks bone stock - except for the rear O2 simulator i need to replace with the real O2 sensor.
The way i see it everybody wins. The techs get paid for the job, the service writer gets his commission, the warranty adjuster gets his cut and i get a new (reman) tranny.
Is there anyone available to help me get the rear O2 simulator off that has a jack or ramps? Adam, Ron?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I know the riv and the bonnie have a bit bigger compartments, but i'm wondering why more people dont do this 4T80E swap...
even a good used unit should net you plenty of miles of carefree fun

when eric's goes (124k right now...) in the riv we're going straight to the 80

besides the 4L80E is a rwd 1 ton trans, as is the th400 in my nova, which so far has fared pretty well when ken shifted into reverse at 104mph just past the traps of GLD, still going strong...

4t80e>4t65ehd ? ;)

besides the riv isnt too much lighter than the 442 and he only has one trans handling that load

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Sep 10 2006, 12:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior
@Sep 10 2006, 01:46 AM

[snapback]138444[/snapback]​
Oh hell yeah!

With the engine cover and stock pulley my car looks bone stock - except for the rear O2 simulator i need to replace with the real O2 sensor.
The way i see it everybody wins. The techs get paid for the job, the service writer gets his commission, the warranty adjuster gets his cut and i get a new (reman) tranny.
Is there anyone available to help me get the rear O2 simulator off that has a jack or ramps? Adam, Ron?
[snapback]138447[/snapback]​
[/b]

I have ramps, Mike..

Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Sep 11 2006, 01:14 AM
I have ramps, Mike..
[snapback]138622[/snapback]​

Since you're a whole heck of alot closer than Ryan, do you think i could borrow them for a few days?
I just need to crawl underneath and put the O2 sensor back in place of the simulator.
I'm not too sure when i'll be able to do it with my weird schedule this week.
I think i still have your number in my inbox.

Thanks brutha ;)

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Sep 11 2006, 12:38 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaturdaysGS
@Sep 11 2006, 01:14 AM
I have ramps, Mike..
[snapback]138622[/snapback]​

Since you're a whole heck of alot closer than Ryan, do you think i could borrow them for a few days?
I just need to crawl underneath and put the O2 sensor back in place of the simulator.
I'm not too sure when i'll be able to do it with my weird schedule this week.
I think i still have your number in my inbox.

Thanks brutha ;)
[snapback]138630[/snapback]​
[/b]

PM sent ;)

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc@Sep 10 2006, 03:16 PM
I know the riv and the bonnie have a bit bigger compartments, but i'm wondering why more people dont do this 4T80E swap...

when eric's goes (124k right now...) in the riv we're going straight to the 80

besides the 4L80E is a rwd 1 ton trans, as is the th400 in my nova, which so far has fared pretty well when ken shifted into reverse at 104mph just past the traps of GLD, still going strong...

4t80e>4t65ehd ?  ;)

besides the riv isnt too much lighter than the 442 and he only has one trans handling that load
[snapback]138515[/snapback]​

i'd say weight is why more people dont use the 4L80

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by Kyle+Sep 11 2006, 01:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Turbocharged400sbc
@Sep 10 2006, 03:16 PM
.......4T80E swap...

4t80e>4t65ehd ?  ;)

[snapback]138515[/snapback]​

i'd say weight is why more people dont use the 4L80
[snapback]138642[/snapback]​
[/b]

from the link above...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("pontiacjeff")</div>
.....The -65 weighs 195# with converter, the -80 weighs 245# with converter.

As for drive losses, I'm sure thee will be some... but the 3.71FDR will more than make up for any torque losses vs. the 2.97FDR of the -65. The forst thing I'll do is dyno it to see the difference. I have a good baseline to compare it to.[/b]

/\ that gentleman there has pulled off some interesting stuff, and def knows more about transmissions than I, but i know more than enough to know he's not gonna have trans problems...

yes the pics in the link show some massive components, and yes there is increased rotating inertia and because of this it's likely to incure more drivetrain losses but i doubt it's any worse than 1-2% over the 65ehd

besides a 65ehd built to handle 350-400 ft/lbs of Tq is quite a bit more expensive than an 80e which will handle that in used form (and probably do it even with the rear belhousing bolt left out :eek: )

i would assume (i know assumptions are the mother of all fuckups) that gp's dont weigh much more than the factory specs (stereo's etc) but if your the kind of person (like eric b and his riv) who drives with a full car, and likes his power, the 4t80e is probably a better option...

i know that it didnt take us long to switch from the th350 to the th400 which has handled every bit of abuse we've dished out (yes all stock internals right down to an early direct drum and sprag) so if the 4T80e is anything like the 4L80E it's gonna be pretty bulletproof till ya hit over 450-500lb/ft of tq
most sportsman racers would consider that a worthy tradeoff, plus chicks dig girth ;)

i'm just say'n.....

I'll tell ya this much, at some point youl get to see it in action on the riv, maybe by then more people will be doing it...

oh and on the subject of trannies, prussengtp
it's a long read but i might suggest you could try this,
hy-gard&hy-tran tractor fluid > ATF
just so i'm not totally off topic :lolsign:

regards, James

Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc@Sep 11 2006, 11:13 AM

just so i'm not totally off topic  :lolsign:

regards, James
[snapback]138671[/snapback]​

Thanks for the thread, James ;)
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but i suspect that the viscosity of the tractor ATF would possibly have a negative affect when the temperature drops below freezing and turns into honey.
AND i wonder if using that stuff would void my warranty - likely that it would. Are there any GP's using that stuff? You've definitely piqued my curiosity cause i'm sick of putting new transmissions in my GP :blink:
How the F does one blow through three transmissions with under 60K miles?? Ron has 120K, Alex's went kaput @164K and they are/were making more HP than i am . . . Now my reman trans is taking a sh*t on me after less than 6,000 miles! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!
I swear that i don't romp on my car - It hasn't even been to a track yet

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Sep 11 2006, 04:16 PM-->
@Sep 11 2006, 11:13 AM

just so i'm not totally off topic   :lolsign:

regards, James

Thanks for the thread, James ;)
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but i suspect that the viscosity of the tractor ATF would possibly have a negative affect when the temperature drops below freezing and turns into honey.
AND i wonder if using that stuff would void my warranty - likely that it would. Are there any GP's using that stuff? You've definitely piqued my curiosity cause i'm sick of putting new transmissions in my GP :blink:
How the F does one blow through three transmissions with under 60K miles?? Ron has 120K, Alex's went kaput @164K and they are/were making more HP than i am . . . Now my reman trans is taking a sh*t on me after less than 6,000 miles! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!
I swear that i don't romp on my car - It hasn't even been to a track yet
[snapback]138735[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sorry to hear that, my 97's went at 87k and I romped on it, and still romp on the car like its the redheaded step child. That article also interests me, but I dont want to be the guinea pig with a $2000 trans.

Originally posted by SaturdaysGS+Sep 11 2006, 05:22 PM-->
@Sep 11 2006, 11:13 AM

just so i'm not totally off topic   :lolsign:

regards, James

Sorry to hear that, my 97's went at 87k and I romped on it, and still romp on the car like its the redheaded step child. That article also interests me, but I dont want to be the guinea pig with a $2000 trans.
[snapback]138737[/snapback]​
[/b]

So who's gonna be the first to run this tractor ATF in their GP? :eek:
Nick?? LoL - i'm still under extended warranty, but would love to experiment with this. Evidently you may mix the two for easier reading on the dipstick and so it won't shift as hard. My trans is slipping in 1st and OD.
I can get discounts from JI Case (formerly International Harvester) the stuff only costs $50 for a whole gallon! It's called Hy-Tran Ultra
I may consider adding a couple of quarts to see if it firms the shifts up, but i don't have access to a lift to drain the pan.

I'm a willing guinea pig - but need some help.. James?

thanks, Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info