3800 backfire!? wtf

• Thread starter imported_1fastGTP
  • Start date
I

imported_1fastGTP

well when shifting 1st to 2nd when i get on it.. it seems to backfire. it did that after i got the headers put on like AWHILE!! ago.. checked the sparks they were fine, tuning was fine (ron did this when i told him about the problem) and lately its just buggen me!! and i feel as if im not getten the most power i can from my setup.. so if someone can help me out id appreciate it.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
how old are the plugs, what are they gapped at. you have a modified car, welcome to the world of changing plugs constantly. there 12 bucks and if they are more then 2-3 months old i would change. to argue if a plug still might be ok is pointless, just replace them. how old are your wires? cheap insurance

get a scanner already, , thats the real way to see

I

imported_1fastGTP

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 8 2006, 02:25 PM
Backfires are usually cause by too much ign lead (advance), or intermittant ignition. You'd need like 40-50degrees advance at WOT to get backfires. So I'd think the ignition is cutting out somehow.
[snapback]138239[/snapback]​

hey are you free anytime soon? so i can get it scanned and hopefully get that fixed cuz its really getting annoying...

Originally posted by 1fastGTP@Sep 8 2006, 12:51 AM
well when shifting 1st to 2nd when i get on it.. it seems to backfire.  it did that after i got the headers put on like AWHILE!! ago.. checked the sparks they were fine, tuning was fine (ron did this when i told him about the problem)  and lately its just buggen me!! and i feel as if im not getten the most power i can from my setup..  so if someone can help me out id appreciate it.
[snapback]138155[/snapback]​

Hey man, I get the same thing. This only happens when I have Performance shift on. Almost like a trans-slip...but I am positive it's not (I've owned cars previous with terrible slip, so I know what it feels/sounds like). This happens once in while and started once I got the headers and computer re-tuned.

Mr. Vogel also did a tune on mine (which I must say is kick ass!) I know there is increased line pressure, even with the performance shift off. I know this because I can feel it shift slightly harder when driving around town. I am happy with the way it drives around town FWIW.

The only assumtion I can make is that the performance shift increases the pressure so much, the trans is not able to handle it. I'm just guessing on this guys and throwing ideas out there, so give more ideas if you have it.

I am in no way bashing on Ron, he did a spectacular job on the tune, and my car has never run better. There may just be a glitch in the line pressure. I will also check my plugs like stated earlier, but I can live with this minor problem. Possible coils going bad too...almost 80K on them. I know I should change them but is there a way to test if they have gone bad? Either way my car still hauls way more ass than before even with the performance shift off.

Hope this sheds some light on something...what do you guys think is up?

Jeremy

I

imported_1fastGTP

i got the ngk tr6's in and gapped at .50 and still backfire. it looks like when i get on it and it shifts it bounces off the rev limiter... so ron if you read this i need to stop by and see if you can fix this. ill also give you a call. if you need more details ryan/syp can explain it a little better.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by SINr247@Sep 16 2006, 04:47 PM
are you saying the rev limiter is below the shift point?
[snapback]139678[/snapback]​

I believe hes saying (since I was also there, just not in the car when it was scanned) that the car hits the rev limiter, then shifts. IMO either the trans can't shift fast enough, or the rev limiter might be before the shift point. He said it does this everytime at WOT. Ryan said that the injectors go to zero when this happens, I believe if this keeps happening he will be lookin for a new motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info