3800 Made the Biggest Decision of my Life tonight.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I decided tonight (with a few weeks of thinking) that the standard acedemics are not my thing...

I find myself going to my classes and thinking.. WTF am i doing here... this sucks.

EXACTLY what happened when i went to WIU. Nothing appealed to me. That is why I chose to come home the next semester. Im only taking 9 credit hours now.. and i cant stand 2 of my classes.

Anyways.. I will be going to UTI to pursue my Car career and wherever it takes me.

Has anyone been there? (bigsammoe i know you have)

Can anyone shed light on it?

Thanks guys

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Just make sure it's what you want to do. It's one thing to work on your car; it's a whole different thing to go into work doing that every day, typically doing the same mundane work on the same mundane car, that is unless you can get into the performane industry.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by syP@Sep 6 2006, 11:45 PM
i know i know.. i actually started thinkin about it back when i was a freshman in college...

even though its just simply little work... but i do work on cars every single day...whether i want to or not... i do have a small feel for it.
[snapback]137974[/snapback]​

Ok mom advice time.. (haha) just go try UTI out, calm down and have fun, nothing is set in stone one way or the other.
I do the college thing too (I'm a double major) and sometimes I just get sick of it, but it is what I want to do so I stick it out, but I'm trying to take auto tech classes on the side for fun. :) So its not always a bunch or art and education classes.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Your community colleges will typically offer you a way better education at a way better price.

Morraine Valley and COD have excellent shops and staffs.

Ive seen to many kids at my school come back from Devry and UTI saying they wasted money.

Devry and UTI do have really nice videos and handouts....

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Just make sure it's what you want to do. It's one thing to work on your car; it's a whole different thing to go into work doing that every day, typically doing the same mundane work on the same mundane car, that is unless you can get into the performane industry.

There are no greater words than what this man speaks.

I know you just started at NTB or Just tires butt it is a whole different world when you do brake jobs and stupid shit and there is a problem or doing the same brake job constantly. If you are going to do it, make sure you get a good job at a highend company so you are happy.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ive herd mixed feelings about UTI. In highschool they would come to my school and try to get you togo there. They would tell you how if you goto UTI, after you graduate you will get a job at a dealer making $100,000+ A few people have told me, this will only happen if you are like the top 3% in your class or something.

I have a friend went to Community College after high school for maybe a semester or a year, idk. He also worked at the local Tireshop. He went to UTI, and now works at a Jaguire dealer. I dont know if he even graduated yet and this is just a internship or what. But last time I talked to him he said he was working at a Jaguire dealer.

My dad has had a few people that went to UTL and other tech schools work for him. Some people are really retarded that come outa there. Dont think just because you went to UTI you will get a job.

I also need to make a big decision soon. Either keeping going with my computer career (That is what I want todo with my life, something with computers) or start learning the autobody biz from my dad so I will be able to take over his shop when he retires. My dad said there are so many people going for computer jobs these days, and very few jobs. He tells me going to college for that is a waste because there wont be any jobs. He told me the real money is going to the people who want to get dirty and not just sit behind a computer all day.

G

GTs_Se_GP_FAMILY

Originally posted by vipermike2002@Sep 7 2006, 08:28 AM

I also need to make a big decision soon. Either keeping going with my computer career (That is what I want todo with my life, something with computers) or start learning the autobody biz from my dad so I will be able to take over his shop when he retires. My dad said there are so many people going for computer jobs these days, and very few jobs. He tells me going to college for that is a waste because there wont be any jobs. He told me the real money is going to the people who want to get dirty and not just sit behind a computer all day.
[snapback]138010[/snapback]​

I say this to you and syp, just go into something you like to do, you figure you will be in your twenties when you start working and you will be working until you retire in your sixties. Then you have to ask yourself, what are you going to be happy doing day in and day out for 40 something years?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
yea but i am not interested in anythin else..

i have been tested and i am surprised i DO NOT have ADD or ADHD... i just dont find my self paying attention to things i am NOT interested in.

that is why i get A's in all the automotive classes i take.. and B's in my Criminal Justice classes... (interested in CJ as well.. but not as much as auto)

My GF's brother went there... he got a job at honda right out of graduating there. After a year or so he will get to go take a test or something like that, then become a technician making the bigger bucks.

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
well i already called ryan and told em what i thought.
UTI is all right, its what u make out of it, me it was all new, i did have a hard time with trying to get electrical in 3 weeks and getting manual trans and all in 3 weeks. It was hard but you know i can tell u how every thing works or at least figure it out how it does, only thing thats bad about uti is these

You only get 12 hrs out of class so if u miss 2 days u fail/drop
Only one re take for those classes
attendance is a huge part of it
power points every day and sittin in cold ass classes on crappy plastic chairs,
Snap on tool thing as u read maybe the whole $1000 tool thing is like only 572 or 2 points!
take the money and buy tools*
some teachers just dont give 2 shits about u or what u learn. some guys are close to another and some are pure asses!
Must of the stuff u learn u will never use but they all go with every so offten a class

If you go to UTI say for 2 courses guess what, u gota pay the full or half u just cant go and try it thats how they make money!
ALSO big jey Dont use sallie may for Student aid if you have the money pay some it will save ur ass and money in the long run, They wont bother you about money and crap sign here and sign here crap.

heres some good

sometimes youll get some ALSOME teachers teach yea shortcuts and show yea stuff
alldata at ur hands all the tech research and all the tech help all over u.
manufactor programs ALSOME if this is what u want and u have a 3.5GPA and 99.9% in attendance the higher the GPA and attendance the more top of the school u will be choosen.

ASE style test only usally 10pt
they prepair yea pretty good iam gonna take one i think end of this month

but iam one of those kids that went there to get to know cars more and not do what SYP did sit in class and get ass bored!

* Here is what i should of done! got a full time job at a shop/jiffy lube then move to a dealer ship and get ASE's some where in there
could of spent my 20,000 on tools and been all set!

* Dont become a lube tech at a dealership u probally will never move from there*

but if yea guys are thinkin of goin let me know,,,, dont go to the school and get a tour cause there gonna send yea shit in the mail and its annoying! the recutors always lie and BS yea and they get money,,,, Look at UTI as a company u are their product*

PM me if yea wanna meet up there one day, i am done with that school this coming friday 9-15)() soo ill meet with people nexts week show yea the school and let u hear the real truth from teachers and students then ill take yea to the bunniess side of the school and u can hear what i mean!

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i go to UTI as well... that would be the only reason i am out here. long way from minnesota...

as for the school, someone said it perfectly 'you get what you put into it' they are going to teach you what you need to pass an ase certificaiton test... it's up to you to ask and be proactive with everything else you learn, ask the shortcuts, ask the tips, ask EVERYTHING you want and demand answers, they represent what you pay almost 30k for... so it's important to take advantage of what they signed up to do as much as you possibly can. get active in activities and disscussions. there is no stupid questions and if an instructor has a problem answering a question, remind them that you pay 30 grand for this instruction and they better make it worth it... most will answer what you have to say.
i'm only in my first corse (jsut started on the 28th) and i'm doing everything i've reccomended and have been doing well.... understand that you do only have 15 days @ 6 hrs a day to get each course done. it does cost a lot, and it's up to you to make it worth the time, money, and bitchy ass parents/friends/girlfriends (in my case for moving... you might experience some... i hope not though)
keep me updated upon if you will actually be attending and we'll hook up, i always like checking out people's gp's and shootin the shit with club members. and i'll be here for a while... so odds are more than likely that i'll still be here when/if you decide to come on down. classes start every 3 weeks, so start times are always happening.

do you have any other questions about the school that i or any of the other club members could try to address? anything in particular you wanted to know tha we haven't really answered yet?

on a side note... take both streetrod and super street coarses... the car's you'll see on the tour.... you don't get to work on all of them.. so be aware... they have transam ws6's, mustangs, GTO, GSX, srt-4, and a supra... among others... just don't be misled that you get to work on all of them.

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
well man for being in ur first course it sounds right some teachers will not givin 2 flyin shits abot u and how much u paid!
who do u have?
iam in room 11 so if yea want ill meet with yea tommorw!

ill tell yea more on the school and all

Also depneds on the teacher ive worked on all those cars! the WS6 was my lab car, the GTO i worked with mr yaus (RIP) trying to tune it and make that turbo run. the supra not to fun kinda gay really, looks nice
and the schools cobra worked on that and dynoed it ill be workin on that maybe this weekend with mr. P

but yea ryan like i told yea let me know when u wanna go up there!

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i'm bigger than most them instructors... i'll find out what i need to know :fight:

but in all reality, i've talked to a bunch of folks about the school even before i went on a tour of it.... i knew a lot of what to expect, and what to expect still... some teachers might be dicks, but i'm used to guys like that and know how to get what i want out of them...
as for phase1 i have mr. knudsen... he's a cool guy, energetic, good stories... doesn't like to be challenged or have new info brought to the table though... i've managed to teach him a thing or 2.. nothing wrong with that
sammoe.. do you drive the other black GP i see in the main parking lot? with the black rims? i'm in room 24 tomorrow (switch between 17 and 24 everyother day almost) and am doing the 'major engine lab' tomorrow... i'm down for meetin up at some point, jsut give me a time and place... preferabally somewhere i can find, lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info