3800 WBS intercooler install progress....

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
got my W Body Store genIII intercooler today...and got right to work. it is a FINE piece of work let me tell you. everything is very precise and i am very pleased with the way it went together. i still have to fix a fuel leak (used zzp rails) and modify my belt wrap kit to make it fit (i went from a 1.91" core to 2.25). other than re-plumb the intercooler system its ready to rock and roll. here are some pics of the unit as i received it and installed. i got mine anodized black and boy does it look awesome!

000_0124.jpg

000_0125.jpg

000_0126.jpg

000_0127.jpg

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
well i had to take everything apart again, because of a huge vacum leak (im an idiot). i forgot to seal the inlet/outlet of the core. i got everything together tonight, and it runs great. i have not tuned AT ALL. i went from running a 1.91" core w/ a 2.8 to the new wbs core, with a 2.55, 12.5psi, and 19* timing with 0KR. i still have some buttoning up to do.

there is an oil leak from the valve covers where i bolted in the zzp rails, and the plumbing needs to be re-done for the i/c system, but it seems to be performing flawlessly.

as soon as i get the cradle spacers in, so i can shut the hood all the way, ill get some scans up, but i dont want to go too fast on the safety latch lol.

heres to WBS!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

FTW!!!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Sep 15 2006, 01:22 PM
Those are excellent results.  Lets thank ZZP for all their research from several years ago, that allowed us to find cheap, effective ways of intercooling.  Thanks ZZP for spending the money on Actual Research. 

Mike
[snapback]139535[/snapback]​

that always made me laugh...

i wonder if zoomer got the IC idea from weiland who started installing it on their blown powerboat engines in the late 70's and early 80's ( i got to see one of these a while back in hawaii, an 8-71 blower on a 460 BBF with an IC that was basically a small brass and copper car radiator, built in 1982)

now that was a massive air to water IC to fit under an 8-71 blower...i guess he was the only one to think about making a smaller IC for smaller engines...oh wait both weiland and BDS had those in the early 90's...hmm maybe he was the first to put an air to water IC on a V6... oh wait, it was the marine/jet boat guys that did that first...

i do give em credit for research and testing on 3800's though, and making them cost effective to attract customers.
which continues to this day, with other companies...and thanks to competition...products are always improved, and the consumer wins...

i should shutup right now...but! do you think i'm the first guy to think of swapping heads from one engine to another and changing the camshaft to do it?
nope, it's been done before but not on a GM 3800... :lolsign:

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Where did I say that ZZP invented the air/water intercooler? Where did I say that ZZP invented the sandwich core air/water intercooler?

But of course you mis-read what I said, otherwise you wouldnt have come up with completely wrong assumptions.

ZZP was the first 3800 company to buy heater cores from various applications and test them as intercooler cores for our vehicles. They are the ONLY 3800 company to run them on their vehicles for longetivity research. They are the ONLY 3800 company to build a custom supercharger dyno to test the different cores and find the best core.

ZZP did not see that another company had wide success with a sandwich heater core, then copy their design. ZZP didnt allow pre-orders for their ICer weeks before ever putting a prototype on a test vehicle. ZZP didnt sell their ICer weeks after testing their first Prototype. ZZP doesnt advertise that their kit is superior to all others on the market, with ZERO testing or proof of any kind. ZZP didnt find a core and say "hey this is the most dense, it must be the best" and then start selling.

All I ask is that credit is given where its due, and the credit for sandwich intercoolers in our market is with ZZP. Did I say dont buy Wbodystore ICers? No, all I did was give credit to ZZP for researching these intercoolers on our cars, which allowed Wbodystore to bring out their intercooler at a cheaper price.

Never said you were greedy and heartless, Mike. Your a business man. Your latest ICer is going to bring in the best profit margin out of all your intercoolers to-date. Thats what a business is for. Thats the same reason that you buy ebay strut tower bars and sell them at 80% mark-up. You're here to make money, thats what a business does.

Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info