3800 Car cranks, cranks, cranks and then it starts

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
So about a week ago I started having this problem that doesn't seem to go away. I already check the front spark plugs and I replaced them about 5K miles ago, so that might not be it. I still have to check the rear ones, but the car cranks and cranks and cranks and sometimes I have to stop and then turn the key again and cranks a couple more times and then it starts. :(

Sucks, does anyone know what I can check for ir if this is a very bad sign.

Thanks.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 3800SC98@Sep 5 2006, 12:08 PM
So about a week ago I started having this problem that doesn't seem to go away. I already check the front spark plugs and I replaced them about 5K miles ago, so that might not be it. I still have to check the rear ones, but the car cranks and cranks and cranks and sometimes I have to stop and then turn the key again and cranks a couple more times and then it starts. :(

Sucks, does anyone know what I can check for ir if this is a very bad sign.

Thanks.
[snapback]137649[/snapback]​

sounds like a fuel delivery problem

fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, blocked fuel filter

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by jk99gtp@Sep 5 2006, 04:16 PM
hey Jose,

Also don't rule out the possibility of it being a bad CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor), or a bad MAF sensor...

Any other problems while driving the car, like, does it die occasionally while driving? Hesitation, surging problems?

Thanks.
[snapback]137677[/snapback]​

i have the exact problems you pointed out here.
How do i know if it is the CP sensor? and or MAF? shouldnt the MIL light up with a CP sensonr gone bad?

I have the ICCU in and I have adjusted that to try and fix the MAF situations. So i have a feeling it is not the MAF.

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for the tips guys, I haven't had much time to look at the car, but I should be able to check the MAF sensor tonight, not sure about the CP sensor, and how to check it, I don't have any SES lights on. I had been experiencing SES ligth with the MAF but I haven't had it for a while now. It might be my fuel pump, it sounded pretty loud before when the car was cold and just started. I haven't check if it is still as loud.

I hope it is not too expensive of a fix.

THanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info