3800 next mod?

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i was wondering what ya'll thought would be a good next mod in the ol' engine bay. i was thinking ZZP ER rockers so i wouldn't have to do springs and whatnot, it's a relatively cheap mod and has significant tourque and HP gains. i wanted to cam eventually, but with college and all i'm really thinking i'm going to focus less on the engine work unless it breaks, it needs to be a mod i can do or with a little assistance as i have no desire to pay someone to do it for me. supoorting mods are listed below and i have a JMB fenderwell intake on the way. i go to tech school for automechanics, so i'm quite familiar with underhood operations, i however do not have a shop or many tools to get this done. so anyone have any suggestions? looking for what will prob. be my last mod for a while, after the mod i plan on tuning/getting it tuned.. whichever fits my situation at the time.
thanks

also, what added bennefits could i expect from going to the aluminum 1.84 rollers from zzp? are the gains sufficient enough to consider?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
maybe4- 5hp if you retain the stock cat, higher milage stock cats can get pretty badly clogged. change both for a likely 6-8 pony pickup. thats realistic
id just wait if you plan to get pems and a DP. skip both and get pacesetters for almost the same.
dont waste money it comes in handy for other stuff and you wont have to sell and save for them when you upgrade, dont need lots of power for the upcoming winter
just save and have a badass GT when spring comes around.
:D

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i don't really plan to cam it anymore, cost is gaining up on desire, plus i have a huge stereo upgrade for the fall/winter which is already pretty much paid for, i was going to get s&s headers eventually which is why i don't really see downpipe as an option, because i'd just end up replacing it

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by thesexy99GT@Aug 30 2006, 08:37 PM
first off, 3" is too big for my n/a setup, and second, what makes this a better mod to do than the rockers? i don't see it giving me more torque or HP than the rocker, just asking
[snapback]137013[/snapback]​

FYI, 3" is not too big for a N/A setup. Even Mike K admitted it.

Basically, all N/A mods move your powerband closer to redline. So you wont really feel any off the line umph unless you do gears or a TC.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by thesexy99GT@Aug 30 2006, 08:41 PM
i don't really plan to cam it anymore, cost is gaining up on desire, plus i have a huge stereo upgrade for the fall/winter which is already pretty much paid for, i was going to get s&s headers eventually which is why i don't really see downpipe as an option, because i'd just end up replacing it
[snapback]137014[/snapback]​
pacesetter>S&S

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by SINr247+Aug 30 2006, 08:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-thesexy99GT
@Aug 30 2006, 08:41 PM
[snapback]137014[/snapback]​
pacesetter>S&S
[snapback]137017[/snapback]​
[/b]

I agree. Be daring and get a set of pacesetter. Just as I said. Get gears and a TC as well to help you gain back that down low umph.

However, there are a few in OH that believe that you can achieve 13s with less then 1K in mods. I guess 200 gets you 14.6-14.8, but that comes at a price. You would have to gut your car. Which isnt a bad thing, but it can be annoying. Id only gut my car if I were stuck or reaching that plateau of 13s.

Either way, the choice is yours.

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i've read all about headers and how it actually robs torque to add headers too big... the pacesetters were even deemed too big for lightly modded GTP's.. i really don't think pacesetters would bennefit me more tahn a set of s&s'
and if i went the gears and TC method i might as well do the cam... so i really don't think i'll dive into that for a while if ever... they're all god mods, but unessesary for my power level

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
remember, i want to do this mod myself or lightly supervised, tranny work (to me) is quite the project, when i do my trans i want to correct everything wrong with it at once, put on a tc, gears (maybe... those fuck gas milage big time and require serious tuning to make everything work right)
i don't have my dad's shop and tools anymore to do complex/laborsome installs, this has to be something i can do in my apt. parking lot or a buddies garage... i'm just trying to up a little more HP and get a worthwhile install under my belt that just doesn't free up shit that's already there, i thought rockers seemed logical...

I still stand by my first post. IMO the first mod besides intake should be a downpipe. The DP on our cars is highly restrictive and needs to be opened up to facilitate the increased air coming in.

intake
rockers
PEMs
DP
*edit*
i forgot to mention installing a high-flow cat or go cat-less with a rear sim.
your awesome Borla exhaust!

then of course supporting mods ie; thermostat, spark plugs. . .
Fish is knowledgable on GT's - listen to him

Stop playing around and just do a cam

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Aug 30 2006, 11:53 PM

Stop playing around and just do a cam
[snapback]137056[/snapback]​

x2. I actually had a VS cam here for my Regal BUT, I pussied out and sold it.. Boy do I regret it! Oh well, the car is old and worn now, but I think my FIRST mod will be an XP in whatever W-body I get next. :ph34r:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Pacesetters are way too large for a naturally aspirated setup with basic bolt-ons. There's a difference between being different and defying logic. :)

I stand by the S&S headers being the best option by far for the naturally aspirated cars. We've sold a bunch of sets to the N/A guys and they all love them. The TOGs and SLPs are also viable options but they're going to move your powerband up even further.

I think the best setup on a naturally aspirated vehicle short of the S&S's is a 3 inch downpipe with a set of ported manifolds.

And to put myself on the record for 2.5" pipes versus 3" pipes and naturally aspirated cars:

I don't feel that any 2.5" downpipe currently on the market (ours included, when it was sold) is condusive to making power. The reason for this sudden change in though is a sudden realization that you're taking a 2.8" (3" if ported) manifold outlet and feeding it into a 2.5" flange. This presents an obvious turbulent area and a significant loss in potential performance.

The 3" pipe is 3" at the flange and then makes a soft transition to 2.5" towards the rear of the piece. So in the end you have the benefits of the 2.5" pipe from a 3" pipe.

Now what would be even better (for N/A) is a 2.5" pipe with a 3" flange and an immediate reduction cone to 2.5". We're working on it. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info