3800 brakes....who can help???

I can't figure out my brakes to save my life.......

my front left brake (driver side) is sticking.

Things i have done to fix it.

new, braded, brake lines.
new calliper
sanded roater down/switched sides too.
sanded brake pads down
replaced master cylinder.

it is STILL sticking. I dont know what to do anymore. it drives perfect, stops great...but when i jack the car up the wheel bearly moves.

All the other wheels spin perfect.

Anyone out here that can give me a hand/have any idea for me to try?

Thanks,
Eric

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69@Aug 28 2006, 04:47 PM

new calliper
sanded brake pads down

it is STILL sticking. I dont know what to do anymore. it drives perfect, stops great...but when i jack the car up the wheel bearly moves.

Thanks,
Eric
[snapback]136709[/snapback]​

Did you get a new brake caliper or a reman? If it is a reman try replacing that again. Also try bleeding the brake lines i know it doesn't make sense but if the fluid is extremely bad then it could cause some issue. I have never really heard of a problem with master cylinders on f body's (not that I hear much about them).

let me know what you find out....

it just did all new brakes in the back of my SHO... the drivers rear is sticking...

new rotors... calipers... pads... still sticking

Your emergency/parking brake cable is probably sticking, try disconnecting that temporarily and see if that fixs it.

Originally posted by Blownbyyou+Aug 28 2006, 06:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Partyhardoo69
@Aug 28 2006, 04:47 PM

new calliper
sanded brake pads down

Thanks,
Eric
[snapback]136709[/snapback]​

Did you get a new brake caliper or a reman? If it is a reman try replacing that again. Also try bleeding the brake lines i know it doesn't make sense but if the fluid is extremely bad then it could cause some issue. I have never really heard of a problem with master cylinders on f body's (not that I hear much about them).

let me know what you find out....

it just did all new brakes in the back of my SHO... the drivers rear is sticking...

new rotors... calipers... pads... still sticking

Your emergency/parking brake cable is probably sticking, try disconnecting that temporarily and see if that fixs it.
[snapback]136717[/snapback]​
[/b]
I tried to reman callipers...all three were the same (my orig and the two i tried). I also just got done bleeding the front brakes. didnt touch the rears...yet...I just read something about bleeding the master cylinder again...once its on the car it said to do it again ( i bench blead it).

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69+Aug 28 2006, 06:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Blownbyyou
@Aug 28 2006, 06:12 PM
Do you have a vaccuum pump? Try bleeding the while on its all on the car.
[snapback]136720[/snapback]​
yeah im about to go in the garage to do that...dinner is almost ready tho :)
[snapback]136721[/snapback]​
[/b]
Hahaha, I will try and think of more stuff.

Originally posted by Blownbyyou+Aug 28 2006, 06:19 PM-->
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69@Aug 28 2006, 06:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Blownbyyou
@Aug 28 2006, 06:12 PM
Do you have a vaccuum pump? Try bleeding the while on its all on the car.
[snapback]136720[/snapback]​

yeah im about to go in the garage to do that...dinner is almost ready tho :)
[snapback]136721[/snapback]​
Hahaha, I will try and think of more stuff.
[snapback]136722[/snapback]​
[/b]
thank you very much:) im going CRAZY with all this stuff....ive had my wheels off 10+ times in the last week trying to figure this stuff out...

would air in the master cylinder cause this?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It sounds like the slider pins are getting stuck. This is a fairly common problem on floating caliper systems. I presume you replaced just the caliper and not the bracket. If that's the case you may need to drill out the caliper bracket and use larger pins. Probably the easier/ cheaper route to take is to simply replace the caliper bracket and floating pins.

SYP, your problem is almost certainly the same. The rear calipers on the SHOs are known to get stuck on the brackets. Same fix applies for you.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69@Aug 28 2006, 07:31 PM
yes the car still has abs

Just got done bleeding the entire system..from the master cylinder to every calliper....same exact thing...

any more ideas :(
[snapback]136729[/snapback]​

Do me a favor and look at the master cylinder and see how many lines come out and where they go. If it only has 2 lines ( 1 front and 1 back) than its safe to assume it is something else. With the wheel off try and slide the caliper and see how much play you have (might want to disconnect the brake line. (will have to be bleed again). This will tell you if that its slides or a possibly a proportioning valve.

how hard is it to replace and ebrake cable?

and my caliper is reman.

Not hard to replace the ebrake depending on rust, but first disconnect (pretty simple) and see if the problem goes away. This way you can check slides also.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 28 2006, 07:57 PM
It sounds like the slider pins are getting stuck.  This is a fairly common problem on floating caliper systems.  I presume you replaced just the caliper and not the bracket.  If that's the case you may need to drill out the caliper bracket and use larger pins.  Probably the easier/ cheaper route to take is to simply replace the caliper bracket and floating pins.

SYP, your problem is almost certainly the same.  The rear calipers on the SHOs are known to get stuck on the brackets.  Same fix applies for you.
[snapback]136733[/snapback]​

mike.. new brackets as well

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69@Aug 28 2006, 08:57 PM
i think its the pins too.

The master cylinder only has two lines going in/out. The calliper moves more on the driver side vs. pass side.

Where do i getta new bracket? im guessing junk yard.. advanced didnt have one last time i went there.
[snapback]136745[/snapback]​

most loaded calipers caliper sets have the calipers, pads and brackets (including ss shims) you can usually find em...i know we have loaded calipers at my autozone...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by syP@Aug 29 2006, 12:00 AM
you work at an autozone?? or were you referring to one close by to you
[snapback]136782[/snapback]​

yup store 2584 hanover park...i'm the one thats actually knows what i'm talking about (i am starting to feel old around these kids though...)

meh it's a living and it lets me keep all my tools and equipment at home for fixing my junk... B)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Aug 29 2006, 08:00 AM
clean off the sliding pins and make sure  you use the correct BRAKE LUBE on them.
[snapback]136813[/snapback]​
AGS Silglide....

have you done a flow test?

i have had instances of the metal brake lines rusting on the inside or being crimped (wrong jack placement etc) this causing the fluid to slowly release pressure giving you a sticking caliper...

take both front wheels off get some hose (fits over bleeder screw) and place each hose in an identical glass (tall shotglasses work great and the brake fluid is readily cleaned from glass)

open both bleeder screws the same # of turns, place the hose on the nipple, the other end into the containers and give the brakes a quick stab...compare the amount of fluid...and the rest you can figure from there but basically the line with the restriction is gonna cause the other side to recieve a majority f the fluid

remember brake fluid is hygroscopic and when it isnt flushed the moisture can cause corrosion on the inside of the lines, this is why i flush my brakes ~every 2 years

the other test is a relief test...have an assistant press the pedal down and while trying to turn the suspect rotor have them release the pedal...how long till you can turn the rotor? compared to the other side? now go back to the suspect unit and do the same but when the pedal is released (assistant says "off" when they release the pedal) crack the blleder screw loose and see how fast the rotor releases at that point...if it's a slide or piston sticking nothing will change but if it's residual pressure causing the issue youll get a squirt of fluid and the rotor will spin easily right away...

i'm at work today if you have questions...1 till close (except lunch) 630 736 2866 ask for schlim...

regards, james

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info