3800 Front Left Axle

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
How do I know if I'm having problems with it. My car is making some crazy noises. It sounds like the emergency flap on brake pads is touching the rotors but thats not the case at all. I have the wheel off and everything looks and feels to be intact. However, there is a tiny tiny bit of play when I put some force on the axle. What gives? :(

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

it does to a point, but that is usually used to check ball joints and tie rod ends.
If a hub is going bad, if will have a squealing or grinding noice, that gets louder as you turn one way and goes away when you turn opposite.
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 21 2006, 08:26 PM
I have a feeling it may be the Hub. How hard is it to do? Any tips?
[snapback]136019[/snapback]​

They actually arent that bad, the big things that most people don't have is the socket for the axle nut, and the large Torx head sockets(or are those allen heads)
Oh, and an impact to get the axle nut off. I can give you a hand during the week if you can get over to my house early enough. I do need ot know if the sizes of the nut and bolts are the same in the '97-'03's. If they are, I have the tools ya need.
CJ

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Aug 21 2006, 08:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Aug 21 2006, 08:26 PM

They actually arent that bad, the big things that most people don't have is the socket for the axle nut, and the large Torx head sockets(or are those allen heads)
Oh, and an impact to get the axle nut off. I can give you a hand during the week if you can get over to my house early enough. I do need ot know if the sizes of the nut and bolts are the same in the '97-'03's. If they are, I have the tools ya need.
CJ
[snapback]136024[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sweet, but I'm afraid to drive all the way to Romeoville. Its not close to me and I pretty sure they are the same size as previous years.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by MIKES3+Aug 21 2006, 08:39 PM-->
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Aug 21 2006, 08:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3

CJ

Sweet, but I'm afraid to drive all the way to Romeoville. Its not close to me and I pretty sure they are the same size as previous years.
[snapback]136027[/snapback]​
[/b]

Understandable, but if I tried to pack up all my tools to come to you, I know there would be a problem and I would need something I forgot. I want you to be at bowling though, haha. I need a drinking buddy.
CJ

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Aug 21 2006, 08:41 PM-->
Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 21 2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Aug 21 2006, 08:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3

CJ

[snapback]136027[/snapback]​

Understandable, but if I tried to pack up all my tools to come to you, I know there would be a problem and I would need something I forgot. I want you to be at bowling though, haha. I need a drinking buddy.
CJ
[snapback]136028[/snapback]​
[/b]

I doubt I'm going to make it man. This is going to put a huge damper on things. Including a dyno tune we had set up for this Saturday. I'm fucking pissed

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

it was geting a little big with the "reply button" haha. It may not be that big of a deal. Where do you live again Mike? Also, what time do you get off of work?
One more thing, what happened before this started, hit a pothole, jump on it really hard, ect. ect.
CJ

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Aug 21 2006, 08:55 PM
it was geting a little big with the "reply button" haha.  It may not be that big of a deal.  Where do you live again Mike?  Also, what time do you get off of work?
One more thing, what happened before this started, hit a pothole, jump on it really hard, ect. ect.
CJ
[snapback]136032[/snapback]​

Honestly man, I didnt do anything radical. I went for a cruise this afternoon blasting a little White Zombie. Yeah, I get on it every once in a while. I dont launch it out of the hole or anything crazy like that, but I tend to let her move from a roll once in a while. All of a sudden I start hearinf this ugly squeek. I thought it was coming from the rear because I knew my pads were in great shape up front. I cant really get on it as of right now anyways. She's being a KR machine right now,but thats another story at itself.

I live out in Huntley, IL. Near Elgin. Its about 20-30 minutes from Schaumburg. My problem is the tools. Otherwise I'd be tackling it by now.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by MIKES3+Aug 21 2006, 09:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-PaceCarBoozer
@Aug 21 2006, 08:55 PM
it was geting a little big with the "reply button" haha.  It may not be that big of a deal.  Where do you live again Mike?  Also, what time do you get off of work?
CJ
[snapback]136032[/snapback]​

Honestly man, I didnt do anything radical. I went for a cruise this afternoon blasting a little White Zombie. Yeah, I get on it every once in a while. I dont launch it out of the hole or anything crazy like that, but I tend to let her move from a roll once in a while. All of a sudden I start hearinf this ugly squeek. I thought it was coming from the rear because I knew my pads were in great shape up front. I cant really get on it as of right now anyways. She's being a KR machine right now,but thats another story at itself.

I live out in Huntley, IL. Near Elgin. Its about 20-30 minutes from Schaumburg. My problem is the tools. Otherwise I'd be tackling it by now.
[snapback]136033[/snapback]​
[/b]

breath mike, i drove on mine for a while you will no when its bad ...you cant really drive at all. dynoing is fine. just take take the other ride to the event or have matts ass pick you up. i very very very much doubt its ass bad as it sounds. dont drive it if its not needed till after dyno day and then raplace when you have time.....
:smokin:

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
if the hub assembly would be going out you would have play in the wheel when it is off the ground or grinding like metal on metal......... does the car pop when you turn left or right?

the halfshaft should have some play in it in and out.....but if you try to twist it..it should have no play.

is it a tiny squeek every now and then? or is it constant? I have a friend up here that has been driving on a very bad bearing for the past 6 months.

when was the last time you greased your ball joints or tie rod ends?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
well, I'm a fuck stick. Thanks to C.J. Its a good thing he told me to take off the caliper to see if the pas split and cracked off. I went out and loosened the calipers and I noticed there was a 15mm bolt missing. Don't ask me how it fell out while I was driving, but was causing my caliper to slip and make noises off the edge of the rotor. Noting was damaged. I did those breaks a while ago and it finally gave. I cant say i tightened all the at this point in time, but I am very god at double checking. That's why I am puzzled. And here i am thinking its the the HUB or the axle, but hey, you never know.

Which lock tight is the temporary. Red or Blue

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 21 2006, 10:44 PM
well, I'm a fuck stick. Thanks to C.J. Its a good thing he told me to take off the caliper to see if the pas split and cracked off.  I went out and loosened the calipers and I noticed there was a 15mm bolt missing. Don't ask me how it fell out while I was driving, but was causing my caliper to slip and make noises off the edge of the rotor. Noting was damaged. I did those breaks a while ago and it finally gave. I cant say i tightened all the at this point in time, but I am very god at double checking. That's why I am puzzled. And here i am thinking its the the HUB or the axle, but hey, you never know.

Which lock tight is the temporary. Red or Blue
[snapback]136048[/snapback]​

LMAO what did i tell u about talking off space parts for weight reduction MIKE lol that aint gonna help your KR MACHINE lol...juss giving ya some shit man i need u are that bowling thing so i can own u in bowling

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Fish+Aug 21 2006, 11:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MIKES3
@Aug 21 2006, 07:28 PM
My whole right side was replaced last winter due to ice and a curb :( . So, I'm almost positive it wouldn't be the passenger side, but I have not looked at it yet.
[snapback]136009[/snapback]​

You hit a curb?? Id check your diff ASAP. :lolsign: B)
[snapback]136067[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes, I hit that curb over a year ago. Everything that was fucked got replaced. I venture to say I put 40k on my car since then

LMAO what did i tell u about talking off space parts for weight reduction MIKE lol that aint gonna help your KR MACHINE lol...juss giving ya some shit man i need u are that bowling thing so i can own u in bowling

Hey man, I do what I can. I think you may be able to own me in bowling at this point in time. Its been years since I've picked up a bowling ball, but once I get that left hook going I should be able to dominate

I

imported_GraFFix

I lost the top caliper bolt about 6 months ago...after the dealer had my car in for a rack recall and new tie rods. But according to them they never touched my brakes even though the brakes were on for over a year with no problems...it was just coincedence that a week after they worked on it my caliper bolt fell off and caused my caliper to fall down and get wedged between my rim and hub and, which in turn caused me to come to a screeching halt in the middle of rush hour traffic on a busy ass street...but again, they never touched the bolt so who knows. :ph34r: But im not bitter... sons of bitches

[/endrant]

Glad you got it all figured out.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
UPDATE:

I made some phone calls to some local dealerships. These are guys are fairly knowledgeable compared to some of the knobs in my area. Anyways, They made some phone calls for me and found a Chevy dealership on Arlington Hts Road & Rt. 14.

Here's what confused the hell out of me. I was measuring the Hex part of the bolt and it was giving me a measurement of 15mm. The guy kept telling me he thinks its a 14mm. I told him I'd stop by with the bolt I needed, because I took it all apart. I spoke to one of the mechanics. He said that they DO NOT measure it by the HEX size. Its measured where the threads are. Meaning its 1mm smaller. I figured I would let people know in case this confusion happens to someone else. I think that's kind of important to know.

Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info