3800 Question...

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
when you change from a 3.4 to a 3.2 should you change to a smaller belt.. I noticed when I got my car back from the dealer when I nailed it ( once ) it sputters kind of like a mis-fire... no ses light.. It tries to go but basically stalls a bit.. I dont think its my trans, But I do know it didnt do this with the 3.4... Any thoughts...Thanks guys..

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
the way matt and mike described your car. you need a tranny not a new belt. i would service that first. but yes there is abelt that will work better then the gatorback one for 3.4s
zzp has full listing of what belts go with what pulleys and they apply for all brands
under the belts they sell

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Well Im having slippage here guys.. IM sure.. I even got a second opinion.. something like the pulley is spinning and the belt is not grabbing.. when this happens you can feel something like a Mis-fire... It has to be the belt.. Im going to Napa in the morning.. I need to know what size belt to get... Bob, Ron, mike???

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Originally posted by syP@Aug 21 2006, 02:47 AM
you jump the gun too quikly my friend... searching works wonders..

http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=341

66" is the belt you wanna get
[snapback]135919[/snapback]​

I was there when I was talking to chad.. I didnt understand the page...

660 - GTP with 3.2 - 3.6" pulley

I can see if you take off the 0 it is clear.. But I didnt know.. THANKS SYP....

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Originally posted by raven@Aug 20 2006, 01:36 AM
the way matt and mike described your car. you need a tranny not a new belt. i would service that first. but yes there is  abelt that will work better then the gatorback one for 3.4s
zzp has  full listing of what belts go with what pulleys and they apply for all brands
[snapback]135842[/snapback]​

I took mat for a ride tonight.. We had the worst night ever... But I still dont think it is my trans.. Neither does he.. It has to be the pulley.. But Ill look into it further...

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Xtant12+Aug 21 2006, 02:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-raven
@Aug 20 2006, 01:36 AM
the way matt and mike described your car. you need a tranny not a new belt. i would service that first. but yes there is  abelt that will work better then the gatorback one for 3.4s
zzp has  full listing of what belts go with what pulleys and they apply for all brands
[snapback]135842[/snapback]​

I took mat for a ride tonight.. We had the worst night ever... But I still dont think it is my trans.. Neither does he.. It has to be the pulley.. But Ill look into it further...
[snapback]135923[/snapback]​
[/b]

ooohhhh man. I'm sure I'm going to hear this morning. Matt will call me up in about an hour.

I

imported_Theautoguy

Originally posted by syP@Aug 21 2006, 02:55 AM
well think of it this way...

=

so if it was a 668 number... it would be 66.8" 

:)
[snapback]135922[/snapback]​

The variations of belts that would include, "668, 66080, 06680, etc..." would lead one to a 66", 8-rib belt. Thus a 66.8" belt (if there was one) would be some variation of, "6688, 66880, 066880, etc...". A 66", 6 rib belt would then be a variation of, "666, 66060, etc..."

Don't quote this a gold but I do work with some different belt manufacturers @ Grainger as well as playing the "belt size" game with my Lightning after I put the KB on.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Well, I went to Napa and got the new belt.. I put it on myself.. YEAH!! :lol:

I also Cleaned the motor bay and degreased.. So I figure I will just do not hard driving or very little driving at all until I get the control unit back.. Then If I still have kr i will go back to the 3.4 But look at the bright side, I got like 330 miles on my full tank.. You cant beat that.. See what happens when you dont use boost...

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Aug 21 2006, 10:12 AM
Put your 3.4 pulley back on till you have appropriate supporting mods. Period.
I had to put mine back on  :blink:
[snapback]135938[/snapback]​
he has a PT he can tune out the knock for that small of a change
i wont dare mention myself again. but IIRC even ron vogal ran smaller then that with pems and rockers.
like ron said it could be somthing dumb giving you knock like that. ie plugs,real lean or overly rich condition.
evolve smaller, dont work backwards
and mike a 3.3 to a 3.4 will not cure 4-5 deg of knock most of the time. i think theres somthing else thats the issue. did you ever figure out what year the PCM was

xtant thats pretty good gas mileage, how much timing do you have. yours might be a little high and cause some of the KR.
is it part throttle or just WOT?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
just some FYI...i used a 66" belt with a 3.2 w/ ssic.....also, every car is different, but i was using an afc 2.2 to tune, and i wasnt able to tune out all of the KR with a 3.2. my mods were: ssic, 3.2, fwi, full exhaust, and an afc...you may just want to scan some....you may or maynot be able to run that pulley w/o kr....i would think your car would be faster with a 3.4 w/ 21* timing than a 3.2 w/ 16*.

good luck glad to see you got the smaller belt

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I knew it.. I got the 66 inch belt that Syp pointed out.. ( Thanks again ) and I drove around befor work today and there was no slippage or Mini mis-fires.. The car responds way better.. I still have not nailed it and I wont till I get that box back but so far I would say the Belt worked... Good stuff.. Thanks for all the info guys..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info