3800 vacuum leak!

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by xierxior+Aug 16 2006, 06:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-98GTPquickRB
@Aug 16 2006, 02:17 AM
on a side note....my egr is not connected to my exhaust manifold.  It is currently sticking upward into my engine bay.  Is that bad?
[snapback]135340[/snapback]​

you'd have to get pictures
[snapback]135346[/snapback]​
[/b]

If your leaking from your EGR. The most common place where it leaks is on the maniffold. The very end of it. Mine was leaking until someone deleted my EGR :ph34r:

I did not notice any gas mileage loss when that was taken out.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Try removing the bolt, and sliding the tube out. Make sure its still round and not crumpled in on any of the sides. If there is any carbon build up on the outside of the tube, on the plate, or on the manifold, clean it off with some fine sand paper. If there is not buildup, then you are going to need to use RTV around the outside of the tube to seal it properly.

Sometimes the tubes crack and leak, in that case you need to find a new egr/tube.

Also, if the other end of the tube is sticking up, then your exhaust must be blocked. That means that somebody wanted to stop the EGR from working, but without throwing in codes. Now the EGR sucks in cool air, and puts it in the engine. So that means its useless.

mike you didnt notice it becauseyou have an IC. with an ic the EGR is pointless. it doesnt need to do its job anymore.

What do you mean it doesnt "need" to do its job anymore. The EGR is designed to fill the combustion chamber with non-combustible gasses, so it can lower the combustion temperature, reduce emissions, and allow a more complete combustion of the fuel. The intercooler doesnt do any of that.

I would say that you didnt notice a difference, because of your driving habits. an EGR is suppose to net you a 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage. However, if you are on the pedal a lot, then the EGR is barely working.

Mike

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by SINr247@Aug 16 2006, 01:34 PM
mike you didnt notice it becauseyou have an IC. with an ic the EGR is pointless. it doesnt need to do its job anymore. 
xierxior-talk to ron about what he can do with the and old egr tube end cap or a quarter.

ive heard he is able to do this on cars that dont run on the street :ph34r:
[snapback]135360[/snapback]​

I lost 2mpg with vacuum leaking from my egr and if I don't run a egr valve on my t/a I loose like 4mpg so I want to keep the bugger :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info