3800 I'm Heading To ZZP

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I did not want to post this, but I want everyone to see what I am going through in making a 12 second Grand Prix GTP whether you care or not. I picked up my tuner today and DAM am I glad I scanned. I'm surprised I still have pistons. I do have a scan, but its very very long. I did a scan from Bolingbrook all the way to Huntley. Thats about 55 miles worth of scanning. Anyways My IATS were at about 30 - 35* celcius when I got on it and my ECT was at about 81* celcius. I noticed my fuel trims were in line. I was quite surprised because I know the last tune was done when it was a little more humid outside. In my opinion that humidity should not make a difference with this IC on my car along with all the other shit backing it up. Now I know if you run from a roll at WOT that creates more load on the motor meaning theres more of a chance to create KR. For fun I wanted to get on my car at a 60mph roll. I nailed it WOT and all od a sudden I see my O2s are around 890 - 910 with about 4-5 degrees of knock. I'm like WTF!! I slowed it down on the highway not caring whos behind me. I dropped down to about 30mph and I hit WOT one more time to see what the 1-2 shift looked like. I saw my O2s around 950 - 960 and about 2 maybe 3* of knock. The O2s are to high for an Intercooled car IMO, but i could be wrong. I sent a message to ZZP explaining what my situaton is what my car has on it and what not. I maybe going up there this Saturday. Will see what heppens

In a nut shell this car has been nothing but a struggle.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by SINr247@Aug 13 2006, 08:07 PM
i dont know what zzp will do that you arnt already doing. im sure one of the local guys could help tune a little better. waste of money to have them tune to apoint. 75 an hour for rtuning after paying for a 2hour journey and having a chance to stay out there
[snapback]135106[/snapback]​

Honestly money is not an object at this point in time. I may even get stage 2 heads

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
. For fun I wanted to get on my car at a 60mph roll. I nailed it WOT and all od a sudden I see my O2s are around 890 - 910 with about 4-5 degrees of knock.

Trying to replicate our ricer roll race we had the other night? I know very little about tuning but I dont see why you cant run a 3.2 with a full size IC'er, headers, rockers, etc. Hopefully ZZP can figure it out. Good Luck!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mike, get it back to Ron. He had it dialed in to a T. We were driving it on a hot day and it had no knock. On a day like today (or yesterday) it should not. He also noted that when he last received your car the pump was not running for the intercooler. Given your recent results I suspect that might again be the case.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I don't know what to say about this. It's very dissapointing, but I've found everyone gets KR a little here and there (you can tune it for 0 one day, but another it will knock). Lots of different reasons for it. Also, the 02's can be a guidline to help you tune, but they also can be decieveing.

I need to get my car over to a dyno with a WB, we should set-up a day to do this and get your car on there too.

I doubt the pump went out again. What I found was a connector that rusted. I replaced it by a solder joint. Try doing a WOT from a stop and see how it goes. Usually that will weed out false KR from going from a roll. I know you have the poly mounts, but you'd be amazed at how much the engine still moves with them.

Try some race gas, or just fresh gas too. If the last time you got gas was after a rain it is possible to get some bad gas. This could at least tell you if it's an octane problem.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I just checked the barometer, it peaked at 30ish; which is pretty high. If the baro was low on the day it was dialed, that would account for the change.

There is a table in your PCM that adds extra fuel at a given MPH. I did bump up the fuel acellerating from a roll around normal cruising (30-60MPH) that would explain partly the higher 02's.

I

imported_1fastGTP

Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 14 2006, 01:53 AM
Why don't we dyno tune it then gentlemen?  With a wideband we can have that car dialed in perfectly and save you the trip.
[snapback]135160[/snapback]​

DYNO TUNE!? wish i could get mine done... haha once all my shits on thats when its worth the money. goodluck mike i know you'll get your car straightend out soon enough for us to race! ;)

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 14 2006, 12:10 AM
Mike, get it back to Ron.  He had it dialed in to a T.  We were driving it on a hot day and it had no knock.  On a day like today (or yesterday) it should not.  He also noted that when he last received your car the pump was not running for the intercooler.  Given your recent results I suspect that might again be the case.
[snapback]135145[/snapback]​

Well, When I picked up the car I was told that he was only able to tune the 1-2 shift. I asked him how the 2-3 shift looked at WOT and he said he didnt know becuase theres not enough room to hit those kind of speeds. I understand that, but wouldn't it make sense to do a full tune all the way to 105 - 110 mph? I also wasnt aware that my Johnson Pump wasnt working at one point in time. No one told me that one. I usually make sure I hear my pump before I even step foot into my car. I did not check the pump before I left Rons house, but then again those Johnson pumps should be extremely reliable.

If the pumps not working hook it up with a new pump.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
DYNO TUNE!? wish i could get mine done... haha once all my shits on thats when its worth the money. goodluck mike i know you'll get your car straightend out soon enough for us to race! 

Better get in line...Mike and I already established he cant touch the LS1 from a roll at his cars current state, but I want to race him from a stop where my lack of traction and newb shifting skillz comes into play. I think that would be alot more fair.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Aug 14 2006, 09:18 AM
DYNO TUNE!? wish i could get mine done... haha once all my shits on thats when its worth the money. goodluck mike i know you'll get your car straightend out soon enough for us to race! 

Better get in line...Mike and I already established he cant touch the LS1 from a roll at his cars current state, but I want to race him from a stop where my lack of traction and newb shifting skillz comes into play. I think that would be alot more fair.
[snapback]135170[/snapback]​

You have to remember. LS1s are sick cars up top, but then again when I was at WOT on the highway yesteday I was seeing about 4-5 degrees of knock. The car didnt feel like it was pulling all that hard when I ran Mike, but I didnt want to start making excuses. But, yeah from a 60 roll to about 90 he was sailing away from me fairly smoothly

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by MIKES3+Aug 14 2006, 09:15 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K
@Aug 14 2006, 12:10 AM
Mike, get it back to Ron.  He had it dialed in to a T.  We were driving it on a hot day and it had no knock.  On a day like today (or yesterday) it should not.  He also noted that when he last received your car the pump was not running for the intercooler.  Given your recent results I suspect that might again be the case.

Well, When I picked up the car I was told that he was only able to tune the 1-2 shift. I asked him how the 2-3 shift looked at WOT and he said he didnt know becuase theres not enough room to hit those kind of speeds. I understand that, but wouldn't it make sense to do a full tune all the way to 105 - 110 mph? I also wasnt aware that my Johnson Pump wasnt working at one point in time. No one told me that one. I usually make sure I hear my pump before I even step foot into my car. I did not check the pump before I left Rons house, but then again those Johnson pumps should be extremely reliable.

[snapback]135169[/snapback]​
[/b]

Mike, If you're hearing the pump run it's running. I know that the car was run up to the 2-3 shift because I saw the scans. It was a 95+ degree day and all he was getting was little blips of knock. Can you send me a scan?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Mike K+Aug 14 2006, 10:19 AM-->
Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 14 2006, 09:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K

Mike, If you're hearing the pump run it's running. I know that the car was run up to the 2-3 shift because I saw the scans. It was a 95+ degree day and all he was getting was little blips of knock. Can you send me a scan?
[snapback]135179[/snapback]​
[/b]

I will send you the scan tonight. However its about 11000 lines long, but I will trim it down for you.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by MIKES3+Aug 14 2006, 11:12 AM-->
Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 14 2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 14 2006, 09:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K

[snapback]135179[/snapback]​

I will send you the scan tonight. However its about 11000 lines long, but I will trim it down for you.
[snapback]135190[/snapback]​
[/b]

Alright fellas. I just sent the scan to W-Body Store. Dig in.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by MIKES3+Aug 14 2006, 07:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ron Vogel
@Aug 14 2006, 07:18 PM
Mike, email it to me too [email protected]

My wife's sick, so I will have a lot of time on my hands.
[snapback]135236[/snapback]​

I'm not at my computer right now. I can send it later or if possible can you retrieve it from Mike K.?
[snapback]135238[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ron, I just got done sending it to you e-mail address.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info