3800 I wanna wash my engine bay

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Is there anything i should know before i do this??? My buddies said it should be fine if i just leave the motor un while i'm doin it and don't have to cover anything up, i was just gonna spray it down with simple green then hose it off, but i just wanna make sure, cause i thought i heard some of you guys say to cover the alternator, but they said it should be fine like i said as long as i keep the motor running. so am i good to go then?

I

imported_Theautoguy

Good amounts of Simple Green, a well aimed garden hose nozzle and preferrably an air hose.

Make sure the engine is cool, spray ample amounts of Simple Green on the more greasy areas, start the car, rinse off, repeat on the needed areas, scrub with an old toothbrush if needed and let the car continue to run for 10 minutes or so after you're done. Use an air hose and/or a rag to dry off what you can get to while it's running out.

I wash the engines on all of my cars twice a year and have never had a problem.

I

imported_GraFFix

Basically what everyone said so far will work great.

What I do is...

1. Warm up engine. turn car off
2. Hose it down lightly with a hose no high pressure just to get some water on it.
3. Spray alot of simple green all over the engine bay, carefull to stay away from the alternator and intake/filter. let it sit on there for 10 minutes or so...keep applying to the motor if it dries it will stain...just keep spraying it every other minute or so to keep it wet.
4. While waiting the 10 minutes take a brush/toothbrush or whatever you want and scrub the places with heavy oil/dirt
5. Hose off engine lightly...make sure to get all the simple green off.
6. Wipe down the engine to get most of the water off...I also use a air compressor to get puddles out of areas I cant get to with a towel.
7. After wiping down the engine and most of the water is gone you can either leave it like that or move on to step #8.
8. Once ithe engine is dried off I use tire foam to finish the job. Any brand will work just spray the tire foam over the whole motor...again staying away from the alternator and filter. Let the foam dissolve. Some areas will be pretty wet so then all you have to do after the foam dissolves is take a clean rag and wipe everything down again.

Using the tire foam makes everything look new again..the hoses, wires...etc just make sure you wipe it down good. You just want a nice clean shine to everything dont leave it wet.

I dont have a before pic but this is a pic after ive cleaned mine.

clean_engine2.jpg

HTH's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info