3800 Vibration

Edmond

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
I'm getting a vibration/pulsing when I brake. It's been like that for a couple of months but I finally got around to it.

I changed the pads and rotors today. Pads are Raysbestos while I can't remember the brand of the rotors. After I changed them out, it's still vibrating and pulsing when I brake. It's really annoying me now because I spent $80 on brake parts to take care of this problem.

I can also feel it vibrate/pulse a little when I drive but it's getting bad when I brake. With the new pads/rotors in, it seems less but I know it'll only get worse.

My neighbor suggested that I rotate the tires to see if it could be the tire.

Any other suggestions? I'd hate to think it's something like the caliper or something expensive.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

There are several components in the front end that can cause this. The most common:

Lowering the car will throw off the drive line angle, can cause vibration on acceleration and deceleration.

Our stock swaybars will split on the ends and will cause a clunk/vibration

wheel hub may be going out , will cause vibration accompanied by a low hum, clunking, loose feeling steering

Ball joint, accompanied by clunking, tracking ruts in the road.

My first guess would be tie rod ends though.

Edmond

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Aug 9 2006, 11:11 PM
Lowering the car will throw off the drive line angle, can cause vibration on acceleration and deceleration.

Our stock swaybars will split on the ends and will cause a clunk/vibration

wheel hub may be going out , will cause vibration accompanied by a low hum, clunking, loose feeling steering

Ball joint, accompanied by clunking, tracking ruts in the road.

My first guess would be tie rod ends though.
[snapback]134746[/snapback]​

Cool.

The car hasn't been lowered so I can rule that out. I'll check the other items. I do have the warranty still on the car so if it's the other items, I'll bring that up to them.

Edmond

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
Just an update:

I decided that since it's more than a brake issue, I'm taking it to the shop and I did. I took it back to the dealership today and they're going to keep it overnight to check it out. It's still covered under warranty so I'm good.

I wasn't expecting this to happen with only 39,000 on a 2003 car.

P

pelmen84

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Aug 10 2006, 11:02 PM
Id check the FRT rims to see if they are either bent or out of balence.......

Does the wheel shake frome side to side when you go faster the say 40 mph???
[snapback]134858[/snapback]​

what are FRT rims?? cuz my car's steering wheel goes side to side when i go on the highway

2000gtp

3.4" 180*,FWI, DHP, 3" DP

Edmond

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
Well, I just got word from the dealer. He said the front end is checking out okay but the rear rotors are "severely warped."

I've wrenched on a few cars before. I'm stupid so I never bothered to check the rear brake system. I'll have to check it out when I pick the car up later today or maybe even Monday.

If the rear rotors are severely warped, could it cause a severe vibration when I brake? I would've thought the main reason for that would be the front braking system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info