3800 Im an Idiot - Help??

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
OK, so I lost the 10 mm bolt that connects the EGR to the manifold. Luckily I'm running without the EGR, so that's ok, I don't need that on. However I also lost one of the studs for my manifold, and so I've got a leak up front. It's the bolt underneath where the EGR pipe meets the drivers side rear primary. I assume you guys know what I'm talking about, if not it's the bolt closest to the brake cylinder that's 1/2'' (not the EGR bolt (10 mm)). What size is the stud? The ones I got from Napa are wrong, and I'm upset cause I have no clue whats happening. 8 mm??

I have an extreme one-off car right now, as a 8mm bolt with an extra nut and washer have replaced one stud, and the stud I'm using that is supposed to go into the exhaust mani, just doesnt want to go all the way in. It's almost like the threads are bad, or the gasket is in the way (how I have no idea, I can punch a screwdriver in the whole).

Or anyone willing to look at my car tommorow asap? I'm just really pissed, cause it sounds horrible. I also might have a leak where my dp hits my 3" pipe. I'm also getting 5* KR, running really lean, and I feel I'm getting some false KR if it's not due to just the fact I'm lean.

And sorry if my last couple of posts have been angry ones, but this damn car is pissing me off more and more. Why can't anything ever go smoothly?? I got pissed off tho and hit my downshift at 40 mph into 1st....wow it feels awesome. Mixed emotions, I just need some help

Cliffnotes:

It's the bolt underneath where the EGR pipe meets the drivers side rear primary. I assume you guys know what I'm talking about, if not it's the bolt closest to the brake cylinder that's 1/2'' (not the EGR bolt (10 mm)). What size is the stud? I assume it's a little smaller than 8 mm? I don't care what the bolt it, I need to know the diameter of the actual portion that enters through the manifold to the head.

Does anyone want to help me??

Thanks a ton. Please help me before I decide to sell this damn car and get a bike or a honda

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
all the other manifold bolts are really close to a 1.25 pitch, if that helps.

I had put all the bolts in the stock manifold after I removed it, so I wouldnt have this problem....than I accidentaly kicked the manifold.....bolts all over....mixed up.

Just not a good last couple of days.

I can get the first 1/4" of the bolt to go in, after that it doesnt want to move at all. 3/16" dia. I believe is too small....so a 6mm might be it. Only thing is why would they be changing stud sizes? Especially going to a smaller bolt on the outside than on the inside of the mani?? I guess I'll be going to ACE to pick up a 6 mm stud to see if it will work....

And thanks Ron for the quick reply

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
i got a 7 mm in there right now......6 was too small......i have no clue if it's gonna work but it's my best shot for now......crap......id love for a 7mm bolt and a ton of exhaust sealant to be the perfect solution right about now - ill see when i take it out in half an hour :(

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
well it didnt work......preussen, PM sent

I got a 7 mm about 3/4 an inch into the manifold and head, however I still hear what sounds like a really bad leak/drone around 3300 rpm. I dont think it's coming from the downpipe, but I'm gonna seal it as well later just to make sure. Lower than 3K and higher than 5 K it sounds great. Between there my car sounds like crap :( .

What kind of SAE bolt would it be?? I've been to ace 5 times in the past two days, and I cant find anything close. Honestly, this blows......like i said, im an idiot

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I HAVE DONE ALL OF THIS AND FAILED!

I lost the bolt as well and couldnt for the life of me find one to fit. .....Even after getting the spec size from GM etc.......

Im really not sure what the hell is up with the little bolt on the EGR but it is a bitch to get at and get on.

For the mean time, I live the the God awful tick...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info