3800 How to tell if youve got a bad..

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I'm trying to track down why this car uses a crap ton of fuel while idling. Just like the question says, how can I tell if I've got a bad fuel pressure regulator? Would this problem be even more evident (using a lot of fuel at idle) since my fuel pump is on HIGH since my resistor failed?

I havent had time to get it put in but am considering that next since this heat and running on high cant be good for it. Also next is needing new VAC lines put in.

-Nick

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jul 23 2006, 06:14 PM
I'm trying to track down why this car uses a crap ton of fuel while idling. Just like the question says, how can I tell if I've got a bad fuel pressure regulator? Would this problem be even more evident (using a lot of fuel at idle) since my fuel pump is on HIGH since my resistor failed?

I havent had time to get it put in but am considering that next since this heat and running on high cant be good for it. Also next is needing new VAC lines put in.

-Nick
[snapback]133101[/snapback]​

...... uh running your fuel pump on high for any extended period of time is not good for it, nor the regulator. i would expect to use lots of fuel while sitting if the fuel pump is on HIGH... fix that first, then see what you've got. no sense in digging into the regulator until you fix the first problem

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by Toasty+Jul 23 2006, 06:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaturdaysGS
@Jul 23 2006, 06:14 PM

-Nick

...... uh running your fuel pump on high for any extended period of time is not good for it, nor the regulator. i would expect to use lots of fuel while sitting if the fuel pump is on HIGH... fix that first, then see what you've got. no sense in digging into the regulator until you fix the first problem
[snapback]133103[/snapback]​
[/b]

True, but I've had this running really rich problem even before my fuel resistor went kaput.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by Toasty+Jul 23 2006, 06:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaturdaysGS
@Jul 23 2006, 06:14 PM

-Nick

[snapback]133103[/snapback]​
[/b]

running the fuel pump on high won't do anything an additional fuel flow is going to be redirected back to the tank if anything the pump will run just a little hotter.

if you're using a ton of fuel at idle I'm going to go with vacuum leak. have you scanned your car to watch your LTFT's at idle?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by xierxior@Jul 23 2006, 06:47 PM

running the fuel pump on high won't do anything an additional fuel flow is going to be redirected back to the tank if anything the pump will run just a little hotter.

if you're using a ton of fuel at idle I'm going to go with vacuum leak. have you scanned your car to watch your LTFT's at idle?
[snapback]133106[/snapback]​

Not lately, but last time I had them scanned (at the big mod day) they were almost pegged out at rich. Got a scanner? :lolsign: what else would I want to look at? IAC count?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info