3800 Tie Rod Tool

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
I know i'm going to need to borrow or rent a tie rod tool for this weekend, the only problem is that i'm not sure how much its gonna cost, and I was wondering if by some off chance someone on here has one or knows of someone with one.

The tie rod on my left rear tire is pretty much busted, according to firestone, which would explain why my car fishtails to the right everytime i hit a bump. Anyways, I guess that with the car up, you can wiggle the wheel a bit. Ok. So I'm getting new tie rods and im going to be replacing them.

Oh, and I've apparently destroyed a set of tires in under 10K miles. There went my 70,000 mile warranty. Oh, and I guess strut bars and spring blockers are frowned upon :lol: . (I don't know why but i thought blockers would help shore up the suspension. Helped a little going over speedbumps :) ). Since I'm not taking the car to college, it's sitting in a garage, so I don't care about the tires, I'm just gonna get it aligned correctly, so that when I put on decent tires for next year, it's all fine and dandy.

But back to the tool...what am i looking at cost wise?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Jul 15 2006, 01:19 AM
I know i'm going to need to borrow or rent a tie rod tool for this weekend, the only problem is that i'm not sure how much its gonna cost, and I was wondering if by some off chance someone on here has one or knows of someone with one.

The tie rod on my left rear tire is pretty much busted, according to firestone, which would explain why my car fishtails to the right everytime i hit a bump.  Anyways, I guess that with the car up, you can wiggle the wheel a bit. Ok.  So I'm getting new tie rods and im going to be replacing them.

Oh, and I've apparently destroyed a set of tires in under 10K miles.  There went my 70,000 mile warranty.  Oh, and I guess strut bars and spring blockers are frowned upon  :lol: .  (I don't know why but i thought blockers would help shore up the suspension.  Helped a little going over speedbumps :) ).  Since I'm not taking the car to college, it's sitting in a garage, so I don't care about the tires, I'm just gonna get it aligned correctly, so that when I put on decent tires for next year, it's all fine and dandy.

But back to the tool...what am i looking at cost wise?
[snapback]132349[/snapback]​

Our cars dont have rear tierods, actually, I dont even know if there is such a thing. Firestone is probably talking about the trailing arm. You dont need a tool to replace it, and you can get stock stamped steel replacements or HD tubular ones. If the wheel wiggles maybe its due to a HUB/wheel bearing.

Strut bars shouldnt be frowned upon, they dont mess with anything, and spring blockers just give you less spring movement = harsher ride, and less weight transfer.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Jul 15 2006, 11:47 AM
Strut bars are frowned upon because if you have increased rigidity up front, it can magnify the effects of a loose rear end.

And we have two tie rods.  I don't know if the regal is different, or something, but I have two tie rods in the rear.
[snapback]132374[/snapback]​

Touche, I was thinking you had both front and rear strut bars. My bad.

But, the Regals are not different. If your talking about the two rods (per side) that go towards each wheel from a center H-like box thats in the middle of the rear of the car, then those are rear (lateral) control arms. Otherwise your still talking about trailing arms. I've bent both trailing, and lateral arms. Curbs = <_<

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list