3800 MECHANICAL FAILURE

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
So I started a new thread... just had to!

thanks for the tips on the P0303 misfire code....

I found the plug was not firing, it was soaked in fuel.

for some reason I decided to take off the oil fill neck, and peak in the valve cover.... had car running....

ROLLER ROCKER TO THE LEFT OF THE OIL FILL OPENING IS NOT MOVING ..... WHAT DO I DO NOW??

I think i need to take off the valve cover and check out the jam nut on the rocker.... how easy is it to take off the valve cover on my 97??

help please!

thanks guys

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Toasty@Jul 13 2006, 09:14 PM
So I started a new thread... just had to!

thanks for the tips on the P0303 misfire code....

I found the plug was not firing, it was soaked in fuel.

for some reason I decided to take off the oil fill neck, and peak in the valve cover.... had car running....

ROLLER ROCKER TO THE LEFT OF THE OIL FILL OPENING IS NOT MOVING ..... WHAT DO I DO NOW??

I think i need to take off the valve cover and check out the jam nut on the rocker.... how easy is it to take off the valve cover on my 97??

help please!

thanks guys
[snapback]132179[/snapback]​

As you stated the best thing to do is to take off the valve cover and take a look to see what exactly is happening. I know that you have to take the two dog bones off as well as the ignition coil bracket, I think at that point it should come off. Basically just use common sense and start taking what NEEDS to come off and post up if you have a question and we can tell you if it needs to come off or can stay on. Or you can search for a rocker install guide and that can help.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Jul 13 2006, 10:15 PM
if the rocker isnt moving......look for the pushrod....if that isnt moving...bad lifter...or pushrod came out of the lifter.

good luck.  any ticking or anything like that? banging?
[snapback]132188[/snapback]​

yes.. good point... that is kind of what happened to mine.. Then my motor blew so be very careful.. let me know what it is...

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
if the rocker isnt moving......look for the pushrod....if that isnt moving...bad lifter...or pushrod came out of the lifter.

i have had what i think is the down pipe ticking like everyone says is common with the 3 inch exhast...

and apparently a bad lower motor mount... but no strange noises from the front cylinder bank area

i can look up in the hole on the valve cover, and i see the pushrod up with the rocker, but i looked at that when the car was not running.

any chance cam lobe went south?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Mike K@Jul 14 2006, 12:29 AM
It would be a miracle if the cam lobe is to blame... :)

It sounds like you bent a pushrod or have a collapsed lifter.  If you bent a pushrod you then have to ask yourself why...  Did a piece of piston break off and not allow the valve to open?
[snapback]132212[/snapback]​

i would immagine, tho not guaranteed that if i broke part of a piston, the plug would have been smashed up... it wasnt at all

so lifter could be to blame i guess...

hey, are the rockers held on by a nut on a stud or a bolt?

guess it doesnt make much of a difference accept if it were a bolt and was loose, it wouldnt come completely out, where a nut on a stud might come off the stud... ?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois

Jeez I hear a slight ticking in my motor area. I do have the ZZP 1.8 aluminum rockers along with 90lb springs. Will those tend to tick? It almost sounds like a sewing machine :unsure:

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by MIKES3+Jul 14 2006, 08:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR
@Jul 13 2006, 10:15 PM

Jeez I hear a slight ticking in my motor area. I do have the ZZP 1.8 aluminum rockers along with 90lb springs. Will those tend to tick? It almost sounds like a sewing machine :unsure:
[snapback]132236[/snapback]​
[/b]

dunno... i've got 1:9 intense gen 3 rockers with 105# ls6 springs....

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Blownbyyou@Jul 14 2006, 09:14 AM

dunno... i've got 1:9 intense gen 3 rockers with 105# ls6 springs....
[snapback]132238[/snapback]​

Not starting a flame war but I get those checked out.
[snapback]132240[/snapback]​

well something's definitely getting checked out, that's for sure. tho i was under the impression that the gen 3 rockers should be OK

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Toasty@Jul 14 2006, 10:31 AM
...double checked car again this morning, car running, the pushrod over cyl 3 exhaust valve is not moving... so the rocker shouldnt be at fault
[snapback]132258[/snapback]​

I would rip that cover off before you start that car again, you are trying to build alot of pressure with that intake valve being the only thing open. I could forsee some damage happening.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Originally posted by MIKES3+Jul 14 2006, 08:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR

[/b]

I agree.. I kept thinking I has a exhaust leak... But it is just how it sounds..

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Xtant12+Jul 14 2006, 11:38 AM-->
Originally posted by MIKES3@Jul 14 2006, 08:17 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR

I agree.. I kept thinking I has a exhaust leak... But it is just how it sounds..
[snapback]132273[/snapback]​
[/b]

Are you talking about the rockers?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by MIKES3+Jul 14 2006, 11:56 AM-->
Originally posted by Xtant12@Jul 14 2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MIKES3@Jul 14 2006, 08:17 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR

[snapback]132273[/snapback]​

Are you talking about the rockers?
[snapback]132277[/snapback]​
[/b]

I think he is

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
if you have ANY basic knowledge of basic hand tools, you can get the valve cover off. 4 10mm (iicr), 4 15mm (really only two) to get the dog bones off, and i think that motor mount under the coil packs needs to come off, should take you about 45mins to an hour (without ANY previous experience) that will allow you to take a look at the rocker, and pull it off and check the push rod to see if it's bent or w/e, and maybe save you some cash

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Jul 14 2006, 05:48 PM
if you have ANY basic knowledge of basic hand tools, you can get the valve cover off.  4 10mm (iicr), 4 15mm (really only two) to get the dog bones off, and i think that motor mount under the coil packs needs to come off, should take you about 45mins to an hour (without ANY previous experience) that will allow you to take a look at the rocker, and pull it off and check the push rod to see if it's bent or w/e, and maybe save you some cash
[snapback]132329[/snapback]​

eh, i'm getting my brother inlaw who knows so much more than me with cars to take a look at it, i just have to trailer it a few hours to him

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info