3800 quick question...

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Xtant12@Jul 13 2006, 11:51 AM
so why is a bad idea to get your trans flushed... I see it in tv all the time but I was advised by the Mikes not to... just get it drained... will it damage the trans???
[snapback]132082[/snapback]​

I drop my pan every 30k-40k miles and change my fluid. I do not however get the car flushed. If you want to flush your trans I suggest doing it with low low miles on your car. Why? because when you put a lot of miles on a trans and not flush it (i'm not sure what the technical names are but I will use impurites) impurites build up on the casing and around moving parts. Once all that shit settles and your car is use to having impurities bad things can happen once you flush your car. When a trans is flushed they use high preasure meaning it will move all that gunk and impurities to somewhere else inside your trans casing. The fush may get a lot of the impurities / gunk out but it will also flush the ramaining garbage all around your trans. Do you know what I'm getting at?

Originally posted by MIKES3+Jul 13 2006, 01:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Xtant12
@Jul 13 2006, 11:51 AM
so why is a bad idea to get your trans flushed... I see it in tv all the time but I was advised by the Mikes not to... just get it drained... will it damage the trans???

I drop my pan every 30k-40k miles and change my fluid. I do not however get the car flushed. If you want to flush your trans I suggest doing it with low low miles on your car. Why? because when you put a lot of miles on a trans and not flush it (i'm not sure what the technical names are but I will use impurites) impurites build up on the casing and around moving parts. Once all that shit settles and your car is use to having impurities bad things can happen once you flush your car. When a trans is flushed they use high preasure meaning it will move all that gunk and impurities to somewhere else inside your trans casing. The fush may get a lot of the impurities / gunk out but it will also flush the ramaining garbage all around your trans. Do you know what I'm getting at?
[snapback]132084[/snapback]​
[/b]

It's true what Mike said. I decided to go for a trans flush and filter change at around 52,000 miles. About one week after i had that performed my trans went kaput.
Having said that, i would recommend against doing a flush - Just change the filter and ATF.

ps. while you're doing the trans you should add a W Body Store Performance Shift Improvement Kit ;)

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by SINr247@Jul 13 2006, 02:18 PM
mike and mike are dead on. and use the dextron 6 from chevy dealerships(only GM brand dealerships ive seen with it). and defintly get the shift kit.
[snapback]132107[/snapback]​

I forgot about the the new Dexron VI. GOOD STUFF. USE IT!!. I thin k i'm going to get the shift kit as well. WHat kind of difference do you notice with the shift kit at WOT? I assume I should lower my trans preasure with the shiftkit from where its at on the DHP 1.5 settings.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
It's true what Mike said. I decided to go for a trans flush and filter change at around 52,000 miles. About one week after i had that performed my trans went kaput.
Having said that, i would recommend against doing a flush - Just change the filter and ATF.

ps. while you're doing the trans you should add a W Body Store Performance Shift Improvement Kit ;)
[snapback]132089[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I was thinking about that BUT I was told from them aswell, not to do it cuz of the miles my car has on it.. it would just be more things to add to make it go out.. I have 1o8,000 on trany..

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by MIKES3+Jul 13 2006, 12:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Xtant12
@Jul 13 2006, 11:51 AM

[snapback]132084[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'll have to disagree with your statement about trans flushing using high pressure.... at least not all shops do that. The shops that do it right use a machine that uses the vehicle's own trans system to pump out/in the old/new fluid... no harm done by extra pressure. one such popular system is the T-Tech system, sometimes called the T-Tech 2000. (i am not sure what system AANCO uses for there advertized "power purge" but the commercials can be misleading)

flushing your trans under normal circumstances should cause no harm whatsoever. especially those of you that said you had it flushed at 50,xxx miles (provided it was done with the above mentioned system, not pressure flushed)

I have flushed vehicles with over 100k miles with no problems. If you flush it with high mileage, and it clears out deposits and varnish and sludge, you're not going to create new problems, just uncover problems that were already there, under the sludge/deposits.

to each his own on the topic, but i always reccomend flushing properly, unless you know your trans has issues before hand (slipping, etc)

Originally posted by Toasty@Jul 13 2006, 03:58 PM

I'll have to disagree with your statement about trans flushing using high pressure.... at least not all shops do that. The shops that do it right use a machine that uses the vehicle's own trans system to pump out/in the old/new fluid... no harm done by extra pressure.  one such popular system is the T-Tech system, sometimes called the T-Tech 2000.  (i am not sure what system AANCO uses for there advertized "power purge" but the commercials can be misleading)

flushing your trans under normal circumstances should cause no harm whatsoever. especially those of you that said you had it flushed at 50,xxx miles (provided it was done with the above mentioned system, not pressure flushed)

I have flushed vehicles with over 100k miles with no problems.  If you flush it with high mileage, and it clears out deposits and varnish and sludge, you're not going to create new problems, just uncover problems that were already there, under  the sludge/deposits.

to each his own on the topic, but i always reccomend flushing properly, unless you know your trans has issues before hand (slipping, etc)
[snapback]132119[/snapback]​

If he has 108,000 miles on his trans i would highly recommend *against* having a flush performed. Do a search on the 'other' GP site and you'll see what i'm talkin about.
The suggestions MikeS3 made about why not to have this done are very true - Especially with high-mileage vehicles.

My GTP was modded and driven hard for about a year before i decided to take it to the stealership for a flush, filter n ATF change. Not even two weeks went by before my trans went kaput on me! (52,000 miles) I'm not sure what method they used to do my trans, but it has to be in accordance with GMPP warranty specs. (And maybe that's why i got my rebuilt one for free :lol: )

R&R the filter and ATF and you'll be - B)
Have a flush performed and you'll be - :huh:

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Jul 13 2006, 05:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
@Jul 13 2006, 03:58 PM

I'll have to disagree with your statement about trans flushing using high pressure.... at least not all shops do that. The shops that do it right use a machine that uses the vehicle's own trans system to pump out/in the old/new fluid... no harm done by extra pressure.  one such popular system is the T-Tech system, sometimes called the T-Tech 2000.  (i am not sure what system AANCO uses for there advertized "power purge" but the commercials can be misleading)

I have flushed vehicles with over 100k miles with no problems.  If you flush it with high mileage, and it clears out deposits and varnish and sludge, you're not going to create new problems, just uncover problems that were already there, under  the sludge/deposits.

[snapback]132119[/snapback]​

If he has 108,000 miles on his trans i would highly recommend *against* having a flush performed. Do a search on the 'other' GP site and you'll see what i'm talkin about.
The suggestions MikeS3 made about why not to have this done are very true - Especially with high-mileage vehicles.

My GTP was modded and driven hard for about a year before i decided to take it to the stealership for a flush, filter n ATF change. Not even two weeks went by before my trans went kaput on me! (52,000 miles) I'm not sure what method they used to do my trans, but it has to be in accordance with GMPP warranty specs. (And maybe that's why i got my rebuilt one for free :lol: )

R&R the filter and ATF and you'll be - B)
Have a flush performed and you'll be - :huh:
[snapback]132150[/snapback]​
[/b]

keep in mind if you only R&R filter and re-fill, you'll need to do it again, sooner rather than if you flush, since you will not be replacing all the fluid.

I know it sounds fishy, but your trans going kaput after having the flush sounds like a coincidence.

Using the flush style that I mentioned before, the trans is operating exactly as it would if the car was just idling there. the new fluid/old fluid reservoir is hooked into the trans cooler line, and the trans's own fluid pump pulls in new while pushing out old, it is more about replacing all the old worn out and contaminated fluid with new, not blasting away hardened deposits

now, like i said, if you have beaten and beaten on the tranny in your W Body, then youre gonna have problems sooner or later, flush or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info