3800 P0303

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
So I limped the gtp to auto zone near work, came away with code P0303 misfire on cyl 3, in computer 2x. I removed each plug wire one at a time and started car each time, to check spark coming from the coils. each seemed OK, but the 1/4 coil, specifically terminal 1 seemed somewhat more eratic/slower rate than the others, more closely matching the engines rough idle. Does anyone here have the ohm resistance values for the coils?

I dunno if i can get to the rear plug without being able to move the motor or not

:(

worst thing is i cant be driving it the 40ish miles back home as it is

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Originally posted by Fish@Jul 12 2006, 11:25 PM
Plug 3 is the front middle. Check the connections to make sure they are on tight. If its still a problem, pull that plug and check it out.

Ive had misfires on cylinders before that were caused by a loose plug wire.
[snapback]132052[/snapback]​

Good stuff... ALSO... This might help.. The dealer told me to take off the metal connectors when they did my first tune up..( That mistake will never happen again...) they said that it causes misfires... if it is true or not I dont know.. But I thought I would add... Might help.. you never know...

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
whew... Thanks for pointing that out, I was looking at the diagram from my alldatadiy subscription upside down i guess.

what else besides ignition module, coil, wire and plug would cause the misfire code... other sensor bad? there was no accompanying code for anything else like fuel system (injector, etc)

If the plug looks good, and I try another plug wire, what should I look at next?

on edit, the middle front plug wire doesnt have the heat shield on it anymore, so that cant be a problem.....

my guess as to why the dealer would say they may 'cause' misfires was actually meant that they may assist in creating a misfire condition, if the spark leaks through the boot to the heat shield which could more easily transfer the spark to the block, etc...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Usually it would be a plug, plug wire, or maybe even a coil. Our stock coils are very good, but they can fail. Im not totally sure what else would cause a misfire if it isnt one of those three components.

Since you said the plug was fine, it could be a loose wire. Or you might need new wires. If that doesnt fix it, look at the coils. IMO that would be the order I would look at it.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
YAY! .. well sorta, hahaha!

so i went to pull the #3 plug to check it out.. so i grab onto the spark plug wire boot (NOT just the wire mind you) gave it a little twist to make sure it wasnt stuck to the porcelain, then pulled back, and the metal insert stayed on the plug, letting the boot and wire come off in my hand. It did not look coroded, but that could be a problem! ... anyway, I removed the plug, and it looked in pretty good shape, accept for one thing IT WAS SOAKED WITH FUEL!!! So it is not getting any spark, but the coil seemed to have spark OK, so the wire should be the issue. I also pulled the plug next to it (#5) and it was all nice and dry, so the fuel on the #3 plug was uniqe, not from running too rich or anything...

so i'm gonna grab a plug wire set and cross my fingers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info