3800 Vac pump

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Needs a puke tank/oil seperator though. I took it out for a scan, and misted the engine compartment pretty bad. I'm going to try tapping the vac from a different spot on the motor first to see if it still does it.

It's pulling 10" of vac in the block. It's about what I expected...was hoping for 13ish, but 10 is good.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jun 27 2006, 11:59 PM
Needs a puke tank/oil seperator though. I took it out for a scan, and misted the engine compartment pretty bad. I'm going to try tapping the vac from a different spot on the motor first to see if it still does it.

It's pulling 10" of vac in the block. It's about what I expected...was hoping for 13ish, but 10 is good.

Well, finally got things up and running.

Got a little scared at first. It showed with the PCV set-up normally, I was pulling 0 vac. So I pulled out the PCV valve, and then was pulling 10" of vac...but my idle was high, and so were my LT's.

I blocked the PCV at the TB, and then was pulling 20" of vac in the crankcase...but the motor doesn't like that, and sqealed like a little piggy.
[snapback]130869[/snapback]​

lol that was probably the atmospheric air getting sucked past the crankcase seals, i have heard it on a 401 AMC at the dragstrip as the gentlman hadent flipped his front and rear main seals but wanted to see what she would do with the new vac pump system, it was more of a low freq sqeal sound he was set only at 14 inches on his valve cover mounted vacum valves

So then I sealed the PCV valve and system. The pump itself is pulling 10" of vac to the crankcase. I'm happy with that for now. However, I need a puke tank/oil seperator. I misted my engine compartment pretty well on a spirited drive. Pulls great, but the real benefit is I can't get the car to knock, so I'm going to lean it out and see how she does.

that wouldnt suprize me, most people would be very suprised to see how much oil mist is in a crankcase at WOT/high RPM's a simple 1-1.5 qt breather can filled with loose woven steel wool would help the oil mist problem greatly, one setup i've seen had a small sintered bronze filter covered (.010?) hole in the bottom with a nipple and hose that ran to the oil pan just below the windage tray so he didnt have to drain it periodically, the vac pump took care of that by sucking the collected oil (without the steel wool or it's particles) back to the pan to maintain proper oil levels longer with less maintenance.

one of the best locations from what i've heard is the tappet valley as the suction point maybe you can do something with the PCV source as your drawpoint.

the lack of knock is probably twofold, the deleted PCV system and the massivly improved ringseal keeping oil out of the combustion chambers, which is a big cause of preignition....

You and I should get together and chat sometime...might prove interesting

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The PCV area has a hole that leads to the SC before the rotors. I had a piece of rubber tubing that fit inside it to seal it perfectly. So I dropped in the o-ring, then the PCV valve, then the hose over it. I drilled and tapped a hole in the PCV cover for a tube to connect to an air compressor oil seperator, then back to the vac pump. Haven't tried it yet, since it's getting late. I'm going to fire it up tomorrow and take her for a spin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list