3800 Blower Question

Ok. Is there a Kenne Bell supercharger available for our application?? I'm gonna start a build up on a used GTP motor and eventually swap it into my GTX. I wanna do it right so I'll b using this forum quite often once I get started. If all we have is the Eaton, I'm gonna try a budget build starting with a ported M-90. Any added input would be cool.(parts that work and parts that break) It'll b a daily driver with a trip to the track from time 2 time.

Thank guys!!

Originally posted by 3800gtx@Jun 26 2006, 05:50 PM
Ok. Is there a Kenne Bell supercharger available for our application?? I'm gonna start a build up on a used GTP motor and eventually swap it into my GTX. I wanna do it right so I'll b using this forum quite often once I get started. If all we have is the Eaton, I'm gonna try a budget build starting with a ported M-90. Any added input would be cool.(parts that work and parts that break) It'll b a daily driver with a trip to the track from time 2 time.

Thank guys!!
[snapback]130694[/snapback]​
Most people either go gen V, mp112, whipple, or turbo. If you want a fast DD i would go turbo.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by 3800gtx@Jun 26 2006, 05:50 PM

Thank guys!!
[snapback]130694[/snapback]​

their is the whipple on wbody store, the magnuson mp112 from intense, the novi 1k and 2k csc's from stattama, turbo from mainly ct or stattama and different m90's ported or gen v. That is pretty much the only choices u have unless u want to do a custom kenne bell. I know their was a guy on club gp trying to get a blowzilla i think it is to work on a 3800 but i think he was having problems finding a snout that was the proper size.

Originally posted by 3800gtx+Jun 27 2006, 04:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SINr247
@Jun 26 2006, 06:55 PM
go whipple..................why not. turbos are not fun DD

your sig doesnt look to hopeful for this project tho :D
[snapback]130697[/snapback]​

I'm looking forward to the day when I change it to- No replacement for displacement....... Unless its a Whipple!!!
[snapback]130825[/snapback]​
[/b]
sure the whipple has a shit load of tq...but how do you hook up on the street with all that tq????

I belive he said this is his DD. With a turbo you will keep great gas mileage, because it wont spool up until you need it. look at some turbo videos...i bet you change ur mind :D

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by Partyhardoo69+Jun 27 2006, 05:06 PM-->
Originally posted by 3800gtx@Jun 27 2006, 04:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SINr247
@Jun 26 2006, 06:55 PM

your sig doesnt look to hopeful for this project tho :D

I'm looking forward to the day when I change it to- No replacement for displacement....... Unless its a Whipple!!!
[snapback]130825[/snapback]​
sure the whipple has a shit load of tq...but how do you hook up on the street with all that tq????

I belive he said this is his DD. With a turbo you will keep great gas mileage, because it wont spool up until you need it. look at some turbo videos...i bet you change ur mind :D
[snapback]130827[/snapback]​
[/b]

its really pretty simple you just dont mash the gash right off the line you lay into it slowly

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by Fish+Jun 28 2006, 12:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SINr247
@Jun 26 2006, 05:55 PM

Thats not what Charles said.
[snapback]130862[/snapback]​
[/b]

x2.. IMO Charles' car was as streetable as any stock car I've ever driven.. it had about the same amount of "turbo lag" as my G/F's stock 1.8T Passat, but much, MUCH more power. MUCH.

I think a whipple would be more reliable power and easier to tune.(more consistant) Plus it would be a swap I could do myself. I wouldn't have to modify the engine bay or cluter it with manifolds and inlet tubes. I've always believed turbos require more maintenance. Maybe I wrong. I've never owned a turbo car but have had to work on several in industry.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by 3800gtx@Jun 28 2006, 10:10 PM
I think a whipple would be more reliable power and easier to tune.(more consistant) Plus it would be a swap I could do myself. I wouldn't have to modify the engine bay or cluter it with manifolds and inlet tubes. I've always believed turbos require more maintenance. Maybe I wrong. I've never owned a turbo car but have had to work on several in industry.
[snapback]130947[/snapback]​

There are very few whipples out there and if they are out there, they have either popped pistions, or not gone as fast as a turbo, or even in some cases, the M90. Turbo maintenance is really nothing more then a supercharger maintenance. Add a turbo timer to cool off after your done driving and that should be good.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
My M90 car is quicker and faster than any whipple car has ever gone...

Not saying the potential isn't there, but it's hard as shit to tune, easily runs out of injector and MAF headroom, and has an incredible propensity for knock and piston popping.

Turbo or M90 FTW

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
CTs have lag. its when they are fully warmed up(about 180 or higher) the lag dissapers. this is somthing most m90 to turbo guys dont consider when letting there cars get ice cold right before a run like used to. you will get more consistant times warmed up. anything above a 61 trim has to much lag for street use IMHO

one meth. is to trun your boost controller to 15psi . the more the boost is turned the faster is spools. i did this an found it easier to drive in stop and go traffic. i just let up when i see it getting into boost. made quick lane changes alot easier.

if you feel a turbo is easier to tune, then a whipple id love to see this
using other peoples bins doesnt count either.
and MAF headroom is no issue when using anthing other then the POS stock ones
if your pushing lots of power a external maf is the only option, all high end build ups use it . and adding a turbo timer to are cars.........good luck.

we need more whipple build ups

JJ91284

Regular
Sep 29, 2008
A whipple is easier to tune, and not to mention anybody that had a whipple never used an intercooler. Granted the whipples outlet temps are substantially cooler, but with just 1 degree of knock when boosting 16 psi or more, you can pop a piston whether it is supercharged or turboed. Also the more boost people are seeing the more it seems the knock sensors aren't registering fast enough to prevent piston damage. Thats why you want to error on the safe side or kiss good by $700 or so.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by jj91284@Jun 30 2006, 11:41 PM
A whipple is easier to tune, and not to mention anybody that had a whipple never used an intercooler. Granted the whipples outlet temps are substantially cooler, but with just 1 degree of knock when boosting 16 psi or more, you can pop a piston whether it is supercharged or turboed. Also the more boost people are seeing the more it seems the knock sensors aren't registering fast enough to prevent piston damage. Thats why you want to error on the safe side or kiss good by $700 or so.
[snapback]131138[/snapback]​

Mr. Hat AND Gulfbluegtp both had an IC. Just an FWI.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by Fish+Jul 1 2006, 01:32 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jj91284
@Jun 30 2006, 11:41 PM

Mr. Hat AND Gulfbluegtp both had an IC. Just an FWI.
[snapback]131145[/snapback]​
[/b]
ask burt what kind of shape that whipple car was in.... :eek: :ph34r:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by jj91284@Jul 1 2006, 12:41 AM

Ask Rocky Hatfield how much easier it was to tune....

Turbo kits come with a PCM that is custom tuned for a turbo. Most CT owners have VERY little trouble dialing the car in, and running balls out.
The whipple COMPLETELY changes the air delivery of the motor, and starting from a stock tune and tweaking to make a whipple work without blowing up is a very dicey business, and saying it's easier than any other situation is just silly.

For tight budget, M90. For a more liberal budget, Turbo. If you're adventurous, have alot of time to gradually tune the car, lots of money to replace trans parts and pistons, and a good deal of know-how, go for the whipple.

MT

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ok well yes the whipple is newer and will have to be tuned cause of no exsisting files to start from.
CTs are not the only kits out there, there a quite a few that are trying home made kits and starting fresh. if they dont use the same exact turbo and injectors they will be startin from scratch as well.

and with all cost for all this why does know one talk about csc's they are able to make just as good of a low budget build up that a turbo can and is easier to install.

what happen, csc's just arnt in anymore. like people forgot....they are only 3 grand ....by the end of the summer everyone will have the same setup if we dont keep trying differnt things

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info