Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
MPG=Miles Per Gallon
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm thinking about trading my car in soon... the MPG's are killing me at 13.5-13.9MPG and I can't take much more of it... I've passed up a few trips to Northern Wisconsin to visit my father up there mainly because of the mileage... even on the highway, I still manage only 16-18MPG's... so here's what I'm curious about...

Has anybody gone back to stock 3.8" pulley to save on gas?

Has anybody taken off their SC belt to save on gas too?
(if so, how long can you run without it on without hurting anything?)

Changed out their Fuel Filter and noticed a significant difference?

With Performance Shift turned OFF (DHP 1.5), does that help/hurt MPG's?

My friend just changed out his fuel filter and ran a new line and his MPG's went up a LOT!! He's up to about 19.5MPG and thats only 2 days after doing it...

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
That is way to low for the mods you have. You should probably have 18-20 mpg city and 24-30 mpg highway. Things to check are PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter, oxygen sensor, and your CAT. If you still have the stock CAT or oxygen sensor, then they could be shot. My stock oxygen sensor acted perfecty normal throughout its entire life. I changed it for preventative maintenance and found out that it was reading richer than it should have. If your CAT is clogged, it could easily drop mpg on the car. The plugs and t-stat you have are good for performance and reducing knock, but will hurt mpg.

Mike

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
change your fuel filter every 15,000 miles or so.......but im guessing you HAVENT since you asked about it. its all about the filters. and yes the CAT/O2 sensor is a silent killer. Dont take off your SC pulley..... that shouldnt help any. then you just have non-moving parts blocking your airflow into your engine. I jsut dont see how it would help. How many miles are on your car?

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
I just hit 68,000 miles for a 1998. I drive literally about 2mi roundtrip each day to work, so I'm lucky on that. What's disappointing is that I had my vehicle appraised at the dealership and although I need to recharge the A/C and get new rear brake pads, they STILL only offered me $3200 for the grand prix. Said the market value is low with rising gas prices and the need isn't all that great.. I'm sure the Carmax guy on here might even add a comment on that too, but it just sucks! I still owe about $4700 on her and I'm getting tubed on the trade-in, so I'm holding out for a couple more months, unless I can significantly improve my MPG's, even to 20MPG, I'd be happy... but like a lot of the guys on here, everytime I pull up next to a tampon car like the Mustang (funny pic by the way) or a vette or whatever, I feel like I have something to prove... you know?

So try the 02 sensor, the fuel filter and Vogel maybe gut my cat?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Jun 25 2006, 11:01 PM
my car doesnt even get 26 on the highway with a GT that has 55k miles on it
[snapback]130580[/snapback]​

We normally dont get as good MPG as our blown bretheren. FWIW.

Also Mike, we arent your retarded Geek squad customers. We know what MPGs are.

Do a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, PCV, fuel filter, clean the injectors, reset the PCM. Driving 5 miles a day doesnt help either.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
like steve said, my car's not a 12.0 car yet, but i saw 28mpg coming home from the cam install. and i have gotten over 30 numerous times after using the PT. part throttle timing is the shit! i would see if you cant find someone with a PT, and see if they could help you out. but first like everyone else said, start with a f/f, then try the pcv, at least see if it's sticking. also try a bottle of the fuel system treatment. i could get you some really good shit from GM for a small cost.

also driving less than 5 miles a day doesnt help much, maybe try to drive it like 100 miles in a week after you do the maintence. you should def. be getting at least 18-20 in town

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info