3800 Charge for court supervision?

Jwood416

Apr 27, 2008
I got a speeding ticket and was just curious if typically judges charge extra for supervision and if I need to bring some cash to court to pay there or what. I live in Sangamon county in central IL if there is anyone else on here lives south of I-80. I know every county will be different but I have never been in court before and all I know is to show up obviously in at least khakis and a nice shirt and be respectful and such.

I don't think I will need a lawyer since it is only a $75 fine and it is my first ticket of any kind. The officer told me that since I am under 21 I should be able to get it, but I think for my county that there is no age limit as it wasn't listed in the cricuit clerk's website with the requirements for probation.

Any tips on what to expect in the courtroom are more than welcome too. Thanks for helping out a newb delinquent :ph34r: .

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
tisk tisk.......haha

how fast were you going over? If it's like 5 mph you might want to fight it. If it was 15, you're in the boat I was. Tell the judge that you realize what you were doing was wrong, and that you would like court supervision or traffic school so that the ticket does not remain on your record. Use correct english, refer to him as your honor, and positive eye contact. Straight up as for supervision and he should give it to you.

However, if the cop who pulled you over and gave you the ticket is not there, plead not guilty and it will be thrown out

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

if you want court supervision (I assume tickets are the same), there is a box on the ticket, that if you want supervision, just check the box and send in your money. That is unless you HAVE to go to court. The last time I had to go to court, there were so many people in there. The judge told everyone to stand up (like 30 people), he asked if anyone was innocent of the charges that they were there for. Noone said they were innocent, so he said "ok, you all have supervision, pay to clerk to your left, and have a nice day." It was pretty funny and convenient. In a nutshell, if it's your first ticket, just ask, you'll get it, don't worry.
CJ

ISPTPR

Dec 3, 2008
Originally posted by Jwood416@Jun 24 2006, 11:56 PM
However, if the cop who pulled you over and gave you the ticket is not there, plead not guilty and it will be thrown out

Oh really? It was ISP that got me so I don't know if she will show since she isn't local. I got written down for 80 in a 65, so I won't fight it at all and I guess I will just ask for the supervision then.
[snapback]130512[/snapback]​

I work for ISP, dont listen to this guy telling you to plea not guilty. Only do that if you truly believe you are not guilty. 99% of judges will continue our cases because we are the only agency that can be on assignment anywhere within the state at any given time. More than likely the trooper will be there, we get in deep, deep shit for not being in court without a very, very good reason. As for your original question, I dont know how that county is, I know its tough because they will extradite on warrants up north for little things.........What I have seen is that the judge will look at your background, if its good give you 6months supervision and the fine of the ticket (75,95 or 105).........you usually have a couple of weeks to come and pay the ticket..........

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by ISPTPR@Jun 25 2006, 01:44 PM

I work for ISP, dont listen to this guy telling you to plea not guilty. Only do that if you truly believe you are not guilty. 99% of judges will continue our cases because we are the only agency that can be on assignment anywhere within the state at any given time. More than likely the trooper will be there, we get in deep, deep shit for not being in court without a very, very good reason. As for your original question, I dont know how that county is, I know its tough because they will extradite on warrants up north for little things.........What I have seen is that the judge will look at your background, if its good give you 6months supervision and the fine of the ticket (75,95 or 105).........you usually have a couple of weeks to come and pay the ticket..........
[snapback]130545[/snapback]​

...exactly they will reschedule the court date if the cop isnt there. i have a friend that had it rescheduled 2 times now.

CJ, whatever judge that did that was WAY out line. They cant do that because they dont know who has and hasnt been on court supervision already. He also has to give each person their amount due. They wont all be the same.

I

imported_Theautoguy

The judge doesn't offer court sup, you will need to request it when you meet with the DA or assistant DA at the pre-trial conference.

Were a suit, no peircings and no spikey hair! It really does make a difference, trust me...I know about these things.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
every time ive been in court the judge offers court supervision. and as long as you dont dress like a slob and even if you do, the judge is still gonna give you court supervision. ive seen people that look like they just got done sleeping in a dumpster for 3 weeks walk up and get supervison no problem.

Jwood416

Apr 27, 2008
you will need to request it when you meet with the DA or assistant DA at the pre-trial conference.

See, I didn't know about this pretrial meeting or anything. The ticket just says to be at the county courthouse at 1:30.

Were a suit

Does a suit really make a difference? I mean I have one but I am wondering since it is just a misdemeanor speeding violation if I need to look that good? I thought khakis and a nice button down shirt maybe with a tie would work.

Thanks for the replies, I would like to know more about the pretrial conference since I have never heard of it. Do I still just show up in court about 15 minutes early or what?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
ive seen people that look like they just got done sleeping in a dumpster for 3 weeks walk up and get supervison no problem. :lolsign: :lolsign:
Yea, just ask and you should be able to get supervision or the traffic school with out a problem. I know that trafic school is a little extra but it is worth it.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
did the ISP tell you that you HAD to go to court? (if you no-show, a guilty plea is entered on your behalf)
(ive gotten a few tickets, gotten supervision on both of them, only went to courthouse to pay ticket and get license back... that's all

like someone else said, there should be a spot on the ticket/aditional paperwork requesting supervision.

some counties/jurisdictions wont even make you take a class for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info