3800 maff problems please help!!

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I have a post in the general to. But last week in my car we installed a 3 in 0/r pipe with sim, my dhp pcm, a full ic, deleted the egr, and added a tstat. Steve miller and mat tallman installed the ic for me so at the first startup we started it and it started lopping like it had a cam. So we checked for vac leaks and couldnt find any. So as i was going throught my scanmaster shaferz noticed my maf was way off. So we unplugged it and the car ran fine. So i drove it home 3 hours like that and just figured it was my extremly dirty maff and that it might have been bumped to hard when the supercharger was off. So i got a 97 maff from a l36 from a friend plugged it in and had the exact same problem. I know he had the problem before on his car and a fuse fixed it. So i checked the fuse and actually switched it with the horn fuse(15 amp fuse) and nothing changed. So im looking for idea's here on what to check next. I used a fluke meter on the wire adapter and found that it had the 12v source and i wanna say around 5v for the source wire. I ohmed all the connectors together and got around 1.5Kohms for each. I dont have any specs here but if anything sounds wrong i have done here please tell me. I have no ohmed the actuall sensor because i have no idea waht exactly to look for.

and today i did some other tests and the info below

just got the running voltage of each wire. The source voltage was about 14v at idle which should be ok. then the ground was around .2 something like it should be but the signal was about 2.6v or so. So i found the other end of the yellow signal wire at the pcm and did a ohm test and got about 2.9-3.6M ohms. So i know its not a complete open in the wire. Still need help people. If anybody has any idea's tell me please.

please help me here!!! Jay

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
You may have pulled the wires a bit when you took off the plug. If you havent tried it, wiggle and push in on the wires while the MAF is connected and engine is running. Also, take a screw driver, and tap the top of the MAF with the handle while the car is running and see if it runs any better. What did you MAF readings do when you scanned them? Im pretty sure the L36 MAF table is different than the L67 table, since the TB is different. So just swapping in the L36 MAF may still cause your car to run unsteady. You need to try a L67 MAF sensor. I have a 97/98 GTP MAF that you can test with, and if it works you can buy it :p .

Good luck

Mike

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
You may have pulled the wires a bit when you took off the plug. If you havent tried it, wiggle and push in on the wires while the MAF is connected and engine is running. Also, take a screw driver, and tap the top of the MAF with the handle while the car is running and see if it runs any better. What did you MAF readings do when you scanned them? Im pretty sure the L36 MAF table is different than the L67 table, since the TB is different. So just swapping in the L36 MAF may still cause your car to run unsteady. You need to try a L67 MAF sensor. I have a 97/98 GTP MAF that you can test with, and if it works you can buy it tongue.gif .

Good luck

Mike

Hey mike are u in morton still or at least the sensors? I have ot take a trip to icc today and was wondering if i could stop buy and give one a try? If u dont respond here i will probably give doug a call.

jay

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Jun 22 2006, 03:12 AM
You may have pulled the wires a bit when you took off the plug.  If you havent tried it, wiggle and push in on the wires while the MAF is connected and engine is running.  Also, take a screw driver, and tap the top of the MAF with the handle while the car is running and see if it runs any better.  What did you MAF readings do when you scanned them?  Im pretty sure the L36 MAF table is different than the L67 table, since the TB is different.  So just swapping in the L36 MAF may still cause your car to run unsteady.  You need to try a L67 MAF sensor.  I have a 97/98 GTP MAF that you can test with, and if it works you can buy it  :p

Good luck

Mike
[snapback]130267[/snapback]​

Mike has a very good point, my car threw MAF codes twice with two different sensors until I started messing with the connector. I pushed in all the cables pretty good and used some electrical tape to hold them in a bit, and my SES light has been gone ever since.

What would be the best way to fix this, besides my temp fix?

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Jun 25 2006, 11:59 PM
What sensor do you have in there now? the L36 one, or your L67 one?
[snapback]130598[/snapback]​

right now i think its the l36 although its unplugged. I think i blew fuse 21 last night when i was checking the voltage on the wires cuz the car started running fine but my maf signal on my scanmaster was at .2 or something like that and stuck like it was with the maf unplugged. But i was talking to fastgs88 and he was telling me the l36 maf should not be any different than the l67 and i agree with that. Its just a sensor. I dont think their is anything saved within the sensor at all. Mat told me the same sensor is used on the 96-98 northstars to. I have tried a different l67 sensor and the car did the same stuff as the l36 and my sensor so its not the problem. I will probalby put my stock l67 back in here soon since its something else. I need to check that fuse here soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info