3800 AFC

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Has anyones AFC ever taken a dump on them? Mine keeps setting a SES and it causes the idle to fluctuate horrible I did move it into the cabin but I have checked the ohms and there is the same resistance beteween two of the wires, the third wire has no resistance regardless of where I check it, whether near the maff or before and after the product. Is it junk?

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
First of all, what is the SES code? A bad MAF sensor will do what you described, and an AFC can't fix that.

Secondly, what TYPE of AFC is it, i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0....etc

Thirdly, if it is a:

1.0, throw it away, those are more trouble than they're worth

1.1, do BOTH LED's light up when the car is on? If not, there is a wire loose on the AFC somewhere, and the connections need checked.

2.0 or higher, does the digital display power up when the car is started? (the thing should light up and say AFC 2.0 when the car starts). If it does, then it definitely has power, and that isn't an issue.

Third off, if all checks out above, and the unit has power, will changing the settings on the sensor create any changes to the MAF signal or LTFT? Say for instance the car has ~4 LTFT when cruising, will bumping the unit up 2% alter that LTFT at all?

A scan of normal driving, and some idling wouldn't hurt either. A sure fire way to test if it's the AFC or the MAF would be to simply remove the AFC from inline with the MAF wiring, and see if the car runs right. If the car runs right without the AFC in place, that is the problem. If the car runs like crap with the AFC out, unplug the MAF. If it runs right with the MAF unplugged, the MAF is the root problem.

I've been using an AFC for over 3 years, first the AFC 1.1, and now the 2.0 so I have a decent amount of experience with them, and troubleshooting them. I can't guarantee I'll remember to check this thread, so if you have any other questions that I didn't answer above, by all means, PM me and I'll do my best to help out.
Best of luck ;)

MT

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
First of all, what is the SES code?  A bad MAF sensor will do what you described, and an AFC can't fix that.

I dont remember the exact code, but when I unplug my afc the problem goes away and the car runs fine..

Secondly, what TYPE of AFC is it, i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0....etc

2.0 or higher, does the digital display power up when the car is started?  (the thing should light up and say AFC 2.0 when the car starts).  If it does, then it definitely has power, and that isn't an issue.

The display does light up and it does say afc 2.0

Third off, if all checks out above, and the unit has power, will changing the settings on the sensor create any changes to the MAF signal or LTFT?  Say for instance the car has ~4 LTFT when cruising, will bumping the unit up 2% alter that LTFT at all?
I will get it scanned when syp can help me out

A scan of normal driving, and some idling wouldn't hurt either.  A sure fire way to test if it's the AFC or the MAF would be to simply remove the AFC from inline with the MAF wiring, and see if the car runs right.  If the car runs right without the AFC in place, that is the problem.  If the car runs like crap with the AFC out, unplug the MAF.  If it runs right with the MAF unplugged, the MAF is the root problem.

I did that and the car ran fine.

I've been using an AFC for over 3 years, first the AFC 1.1, and now the 2.0 so I have a decent amount of experience with them, and troubleshooting them. I can't guarantee I'll remember to check this thread, so if you have any other questions that I didn't answer above, by all means, PM me and I'll do my best to help out.
Best of luck ;)

MT

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by SINr247@Jun 11 2006, 03:12 AM
IIRC the 2.0 had some issues with stuff melting casue of a cheap housing
(this is what zzp said when i bought my 2.2
its not hanging on somthing metal that gets hot or isnt partialy melted already
[snapback]129334[/snapback]​

Mo its inside the car on the left hand side of the steering wheel in that little cubby. It is mounted on some plexiglass.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
well im guessing you ran the extention wires threw the firewall.. check all the wires to make sure none of them are arc-ing on the wall its self. if you went under the drivers side buy the steering boot, there are many things to melt on passing things threw there
this has happen ot me ...now i just have 20 things passing threw the passenger side still never heard of ses light coming on cause of that tho.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by SINr247@Jun 11 2006, 01:11 PM
well im guessing you ran the extention wires threw the firewall.. check all the wires to make sure none of them are arc-ing on the wall its self. if you went under the drivers side buy the steering boot, there are many things to melt on passing things threw there
this has happen ot me ...now i just have 20 things passing threw the passenger side still never heard of ses light coming on cause of that tho.
[snapback]129357[/snapback]​

Thats what I thought, but I ran the ohm meter on it right away and 2 of the 3 wires were good. The third wire had alot of resistance right before and after the afc.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
One wire is 12V positive reference, one is ground and one is Signal. The signal wire is obviously the problem IF it's a wiring issue.

SINr247, the housings aren't the problem, nor are the soldered joints, it's the edit switch itself, and the microprocesser that runs the unit that are the 2 problems. If the problem is heat related, the unit won't power on, or flash AFC 2.0 when it starts. If it's a problem with one of the switches, it will either not enter edit mode, or will only function in non-enhanced mode.

It sounds to me that you have a poor connection in the signal wire. I'd suggest you check the resistance across the splices on both sides. I'd imagine either one of the splices has poor contact, or the insulation has come off one side of the wire and it's grounding itself.

BTW, the signal wire is the YELLOW wire, start the troubleshooting with that wire.

MT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info