3800 For those that went to and graduated from college

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Hello All,

So this past May, Iowa State decided they had enough of me over the past 4 years and kicked me out under some lame excuse called "Graduation". So I'm at home for the time being as I look for a local job/career. I decided I want to stick around the area at least until I get some money built up, unless I can find some dream job. So the technicals are that I have a "Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering" with a slight emphasis on Internal Combustion Engines. I have sent my resume to several local firms and places like CAT. Havent had much of a response yet, so Im curious what all should I do about these resumes that I am sending? Most of them are just the online resume systems. So should I call them up after a certain amount of time, or just keep looking? How long have others looked for that "first job" after graduating. There seems to be a lot of jobs, however many require 3-5 years of experience.

Also, have any of you ever used the 3-D modeling progam Pro-E. Seems to be a fairly big emphasis on having experience with it, and I have considered buying it to gain some of that experience. If you have used it, what is the name of the one you have used? All I can find is Pro-E Wildfire, and I didnt know if there was a regular Pro-E, or if the 3-D modeling part is the Wildfire version.

Any helpful suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Mike

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Jun 6 2006, 01:32 AM
Hello All,

So this past May, Iowa State decided they had enough of me over the past 4 years and kicked me out under some lame excuse called "Graduation".  So I'm at home for the time being as I look for a local job/career.  I decided I want to stick around the area at least until I get some money built up, unless I can find some dream job.  So the technicals are that I have a "Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering" with a slight emphasis on Internal Combustion Engines.  I have sent my resume to several local firms and places like CAT.  Havent had much of a response yet, so Im curious what all should I do about these resumes that I am sending?  Most of them are just the online resume systems.  So should I call them up after a certain amount of time, or just keep looking?  How long have others looked for that "first job" after graduating.  There seems to be a lot of jobs, however many require 3-5 years of experience. 

Also, have any of you ever used the 3-D modeling progam Pro-E.  Seems to be a fairly big emphasis on having experience with it, and I have considered buying it to gain some of that experience.  If you have used it, what is the name of the one you have used?  All I can find is Pro-E Wildfire, and I didnt know if there was a regular Pro-E, or if the 3-D modeling part is the Wildfire version. 

Any helpful suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks

Mike
[snapback]128682[/snapback]​

www.careerbuilder.com is your friend. They have links to proper hiring/interview/resume ettiquette and a shit-ton of Chicago job postings (they are affiliated with the Trib). You should also have some free career counseling available through your university. Contact them and see what kind of help they can offer you. Best of luck!

I

imported_Theautoguy

It seems that it's more of who you know to get a foot in the door than your background. Invest time into networking rather than some expensive software.

Interested in sales? Grainger will be hiring more inside guys soon. The pay is great, the benefits are great and the company is great...the job is rewarding but you need to be sales and customer service oriented to be good at it. Grainger is a career company too.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by rion02gtp@Jun 6 2006, 03:05 PM
i haven't gone back to ames for awhile just curious do they still celebrate  "veisha" i think that's how you spell it. i know awhile back some guy got killed there and the school is trying to ban the celebration.
[snapback]128731[/snapback]​

According to my friend they still do, he was trying to get me to come there for it. :lol:

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Looking for a job the first time around is not easy. I graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in Management in May '05. I am currently in grad. school finishing up my M.B.A. in Human Resources too. I started looking for a job in Jan. '06 and did not find one until April '06. It is an HR job, which is exactly what I wanted. Now that I have been in HR for a bit, I have learned a lot. My past work experience was in customer service, not HR, so I had little related experience when I began.

It definitely helps knowing people, ESPECIALLY HR people. For recent grads, a resume means a lot. I spent countless hours working on my resume to get it to look professional, with the help of a regional v.p. of HR and Sr. HR Generalist. Employers will notice when you have spent time on your resume or just put it together in 5 minutes time. In the early stages of a career, education is important, but experience is more important, which is why there are not as many entry-level jobs as there are jobs asking for 3-5 years experience. Also, the qualifications an employer is looking for is what they DESIRE, not what they REQUIRE. They always want more than what they need. They will train if the candidate is what they want and fits into their culture. Obviously, don't apply for a job asking 5-10 years experience if you only have one year experience, as that is going a bit overboard.

Also, about 3-5 days after you send a resume or apply for a job, email the HR dept. and ask about the status of your application. Employers like that, and even if they dismissed you in the beginning, this might be the chance they take a second look at you.

Think of applying for jobs / working on your resume as a job. Spend a few hours each day working on your resume, researching jobs / companies and finding ways to improve yourself in an interview, etc.

Well, I hope this is a start. If you have more questions, let me know.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I checked out Career Builder, and have already submitted resumes to many of the places on their. But I found a couple other jobs that looked interesting. Thanks

Im not a big Sales guy. I like the behind the scenes atmosphere. I have noticed that it seems to be who you know, almost more than what you know. I have had several people give my parents their cards, but that seems to be where it ends. Hopefully its just a time thing.

VIESHA came back this past year. Two years ago, we decided to riot and tear apart Welch Ave. The police came in with gas and riot gear to herd everyone home. I wasnt personally involved, but the big issue was that they made the celebration Dry the past couple years. Taking alcohol away from college students turned out to be a bad idea :rolleyes: . Pethatic....i know. However, this year they brought it back with reasonable success. We didnt get as good of celebrities as we have had in the past, but there were decent acts and some good bands.

Thanks for the suggestions Driva. What all did you modify on your resume? Mine is a basic, clean resume. Nothing special about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Jun 7 2006, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Driva.  What all did you modify on your resume?  Mine is a basic, clean resume.  Nothing special about it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Mike
[snapback]128838[/snapback]​

I modified everything from the overall look to objective to education and experience. If you would like, give me your email address and I will send you a copy of my resume to give you some ideas. I actually just started working on it again, so I might be changing it around a bit again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info