3800 More urban exploration...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
For those that are familar with Arlington Heights there used to be (well there still kind of is) a mall on Palatine, Rand, and Arlington Heights Road: Town & Country Mall. The mall was very small with probably only 20 stores inside including an arcade, Radio Shack, Precious Moments type store, and a 10 screen movie theater. After most of the tenants had left and the theater had closed they decided to revamp the building and change it to a strip mall type setup. This essentially entails gutting the building and rebuilding off of the existing walls and foundation.

Well a friend and I saw the bulldozer out there about a year ago and decided to have at it. We climbed under the bulldozer and snooped around. The lobby of the theater was surreal. It was as if it was frozen in time. What's worse is we had no light so we were navigated with our cell phones. Even then the lobby looked as if it could have been vacuumed and put right back into service.

We went back 2 weeks later with a digital camera. By that time the lobby had been demolished already as well as most of the theaters. Here are the pictures we got of the mall...

Front of the mall
IMG_1989.JPG

This is in one of the "main feature" theaters. The view is from the screen facing the rear of the theater (the exit is what you see in the back). The right is obviously missing it's wall.
IMG_1990.JPG

One of the smaller theaters.
IMG_1995.JPG

This theater looked like a bulldozer came in and pushed all of it's seats to the side. You can kind of see that on the bottom.
IMG_1996.JPG

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Same Theater... Note the projection room above.
IMG_1997.JPG

This projection room ran straight through to the end of the building where you see the other wall with matching paint.
IMG_1999.JPG

Last of the fully equipped theaters...
IMG_2004.JPG

This is a cool vantage point. It's neat to think that this used to be a fully functioning theater.
IMG_2006.JPG

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Holy huge photos batman! I'll have to resize these.

The mall office.
IMG_2007.JPG

More...
IMG_2009.JPG

Note the temporary wall to the left. The vantage point this picture was taken from was about 10 feet to the right of the Old Country Buffet Windows that used to look into the mall. Also note the sign on the window that says "we're still open". Business must be great when you have to post that sign.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I remember going to that mall back in the day when Service Merchandise was there. I personaly havent meen inside the mall when it was abondon. I have some friends that went in there probably a year ago. They got inside by climbing a 10ft wall and unlocking a door buy the Buffet. They made a video of them exploring the place. I will try to get someone to host it.

Back in highschool I used to goto this abondon mall in Waukegan alot.
http://www.lakehurstmall.net/
I probably went there like 5 times, but sadly I have no pictures of the inside. The mall was HUGE (The biggest in Lake County at one point). My friends and I walked through all the main hallways, inside the stores, in all the back passageways. We even found a jail and away onto the roof.

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
cool find, Mike

about ten years ago i was at the school where they filmed the Breakfast Club - It's now a testing facility for farm and agricultural stuff. I was certified for mosquito abatement there. lol

Is anybody up for a ghost crawl this weekend? My mom has the book 'Chicago-Haunts' by Ursala Bielski that shows all of the cool/creepy spots around Chicagoland. . .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info