3800 New phone service

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Think i'm gonna get rid of nextel cuz it blows, but whats a good service i can go with, i need something with alot, and i mean alot of minutes, and unlimited text messages and stuff and something thats not to pricy, like my plan now i got 1000 anytime, free nights and weekends, and unlimited text messages and internet and crap for 85$ a month, so anybody know anything thats better then that please let me know,

thanks

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Sprint they got one of the best networks and they work just about everywhere us cellular sucks balls trust me i had them never got signal and droped more calls then u do with nextel lol..... get the 1000 FAIR AND Flexiable its a bad ass plan i got it with nextel 60 a month i pay with 6pm nights..and i ono y u dont like nextel i get good service what model phone u got???

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
US Celluar.... their service is sketchy. I have had way too many customer complaints about them and T-Mobile. They only advertise their minute plans for a reason.....

Its all gonna depend on where you live really. For the most part, Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint have the best coverage. All three networks continuously grow. Sprint was rated the #1 network in chicago. But like I said its really gonna depend on where you live. There will be sketchy spots with any carrier, you just have to find the carrier that best fits your area. FWI, Of the three carriers, Sprint and Cingular have Unlimited TXT plans. I think you can get 2500 txt for 20$ with Verizon.

Sprint has the Fair and Flexible plans, as well as the free incomming call plans. Cingular and Verizon have VERY similar rate plans with the exception that Cingular has rollover.

Cingular and Verizon have great customer service departments. Sprints depends on which rep. you get.

Technology wise Cingular has the newest and best phones out. GSM is used with 70% of the world while CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) is only really used in the U.S. So naturally the GSM (Cingular) gets the newest and best phones. Sprint has a exclusive contract with Sanyo. Sanyo makes amazing phones. They have some other really cool phones. Verizon is getting better with their phones but are still behind on the other two carriers.

All three services offer a push-to-talk feature for about 10$ a month. Verizon and Sprint have limited phones with bluetooth because of the CDMA thing. Cingular has a bunch of bluetooth phones.

I have used all three carriers recently. Im south a bit so reception is a little harder to get. My Cingular picks up where my verizon didnt. My Verizon picked up in maybe 2 spots my Cingular doesnt, and the Sprint gets a little less signal then both. ALL three carriers are putting up new towers all the time so thats always good.

Is that enough information???

- Craig

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
I have been a US Cell. customer for over 4 years and I have not had one single complaint with them. My bill is always right on, IF I do call customer service I get someone on the line with in minutes. My buddy says he waits forever with Nextel. Not sure what kind of complaints you hear but I have not found a better plan for the money yet. As far as dropped calls, yeah, they happen but its going to happen with any provider. I have been very pleased with their service... Granted I live pretty far outside of the city (40 miles) but I frequent Chicago and south burbs quite often and very RARELY have signal/dropped call issues...

I would be curious to hear some of the more common customer complaints of US Cell.... Are they legit compllaints or just those never happy kind of customers?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
do you need a local/regional plan or a national plan?

US cellular's national plan does not include free mobile to mobile... at least it did not when I was plan shopping less than a year ago.

I have been happy with my Verizon service, tho i dont do pix or txt msg's (unlimited txt/pix for 5/mo)

find out who the majority of your friends have, and look that way, you'll save on mobile to mobile minutes.

I have 800 anytime minutes split between 2 phones, with unlimited night/weekends and free mobile to mobile. Since me and my wife, and most everyone else I call is on verizon anyway, My total minutes can hit 1000 but since the mobile to mobile and night/weekends dont count against my 800 anytime minutes, i rarely use 400 of the anytime minutes.

as far as phones, LG/Motorola/Nokia, pretty much in that order, utstarcom/audiovox somewhere betweeen moto and nokia i suppose.
LG has good coverage, moto's seem to hold calls better when there is less signal available tho.

oh and dont neccessarily believe the cingular commercial out there that says they have the fewest dropped calls... while that may be technically true in some data... cingular has a higher call threshold, so you need a stronger signal to even attempt to make a call VS Verizon. ... so they are truthful, somewhat, since you cant drop a call that you cannot place!

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
burt its dropped calls and no signal issues..... but thats why i told him it depends on where he lives. nextel is the worst fucking provider ever! I sell em and I hate them. While nokia phones are ugly, NOT user friendly, and they dont have much in flip phones. They are the most reliable phones to use. Verizon/US cellular use the same model phones (US cell just gets them 6 months after verizon does) use audiovox a lot and from 3 years experiance selling them...... they suck. They should go out of business due the the VERY cheap materials that they use. Motorola phones are what I usually get. The BIG concern with motos is that the batteries go bad much faster than any other phone (all mine went bad in less that a 8 months) AND the software they use blows. It always screws up and you have to pull the battery out and wait 1 min then put it back in. LG and Samsung make great phones but it depends on the model. Get a phone with a pull out antenna if you can. It helps a little. My razr has no antenna but still works great. If you tell me where you live I can check the coverage of Cingular and Sprint to see how the coverage is around you to see if either of them will even work. If you goto a place that sells verizon, they have a tool that shows the coverage like I can see with sprint and cingular. I dont know about US Cellular if they have an online coverage map or access to one at a dealer. The big problem with the US Cellular brochures is that it says it covers EVERYWHERE!!!. They dont break it down according to actual coverage like some of the other carriers. Also like everyone else says, see what all your friends have. that will save you a lot of minutes plus then you can ask how their coverage is. and not that im bashing US Cellular, im just saying what my customers have been telling me for years. ive never used a US cellular. My friend that lives in clifton has it and hates it cuz he never has signal in town here. and my ex GF had TMobile and same thing but worse.

You can try any carrier and cancel if you are unsatisfied.

US Cellular - 30 day trial
Cingular - 30 day trial
Verizon - 15 day trial
Sprint - 15 day trial

No worries, try it and if you dont like it try someone else!!

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@May 27 2006, 01:15 AM
burt its dropped calls and no signal issues..... but thats why i told him it depends on where he lives.  nextel is the worst fucking provider ever! I sell em and I hate them.  While nokia phones are ugly, NOT user friendly, and they dont have much in flip phones.  They are the most reliable phones to use. Verizon/US cellular use the same model phones (US cell just gets them 6 months after verizon does) use audiovox a lot and from 3 years experiance selling them...... they suck.  They should go out of business due the the VERY cheap materials that they use.  Motorola phones are what I usually get.  The BIG concern with motos is that the batteries go bad much faster than any other phone (all mine went bad in less that a 8 months) AND the software they use blows.  It always screws up and you have to pull the battery out and wait 1 min then put it back in.  LG and Samsung make great phones but it depends on the model.  Get a phone with a pull out antenna if you can.  It helps a little. My razr has no antenna but still works great.  If you tell me where you live I can check the coverage of Cingular and Sprint to see how the coverage is around you to see if either of them will even work.  If you goto a place that sells verizon, they have a tool that shows the coverage like I can see with sprint and cingular.  I dont know about US Cellular if they have an online coverage map or access to one at a dealer.  The big problem with the US Cellular brochures is that it says it covers EVERYWHERE!!!.  They dont break it down according to actual coverage like some of the other carriers.  Also like everyone else says, see what all your friends have.  that will save you a lot of minutes plus then you can ask how their coverage is.  and not that im bashing US Cellular, im just saying what my customers have been telling me for years.  ive never used a US cellular.  My friend that lives in clifton has it and hates it cuz he never has signal in town here.  and my ex GF had TMobile and same thing but worse. 

Cingular    - 30 day trial
Verizon      - 15 day trial
Sprint        - 15 day trial

[snapback]127657[/snapback]​

Well i have to disagree on what u think about nextel i had verizon and cingular and honsetly u cant hear shit the other person is saying on the other line its all static they are pos phones plain and simple i use to work for nextel and sprint both and i heard over 30 storys a day how much cingular or verizon of t-mobile sucks and they wish they could switch to sprint because sprint bically get service everywhere if u look at their rate plans.....i love sprint and nextel both i honsetly think they are the best cell phone providers thats y sprint is #1 in Chicago...end of story...so yeah 00GTPSC id'e go with sprint u wont regret it like u will if u go somewhere else

I

imported_1fastGTP

i got T-mobile its the best ive had... signal EVERYWHERE!!! accept in leo's tent at harvard! i blame his tent! haha but yea dont drop your plan because of someones say so everyone on here has there own opinions on service also depending on area code.. well goodluck finding the right service.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@May 27 2006, 01:15 AM

Cingular    - 30 day trial

do that.....

chadd...... the voice quality of nextel is the worst of them all.... they run on the iDEN network which is just step above an analog network. Sprint will have the best voice quality. verizon and cingular have about the same, but mine both sounded great. The model of phone will have a large affect on your voice quality and volume as well. My razr has a shitty speaker on it.

and like i said from the start, IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU WILL BE USING IT!!!

If you travel a lot, dont get TMobile or US Cellular because plain and simple you will not get the coverage you need. They have the smallest nationwide coverage footprints of ANY carrier along with nextel.

Also, dont buy from the little mom and pop shops. I have heard too many horror stories on people getting ripped off on a phone price or people having 1 hour return policies.

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by chipmonk212121+May 27 2006, 02:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-chipmonk212121
@May 27 2006, 01:15 AM

Cingular     - 30 day trial

do that.....

chadd...... the voice quality of nextel is the worst of them all.... they run on the iDEN network which is just step above an analog network. Sprint will have the best voice quality. verizon and cingular have about the same, but mine both sounded great. The model of phone will have a large affect on your voice quality and volume as well. My razr has a shitty speaker on it.

and like i said from the start, IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU WILL BE USING IT!!!

If you travel a lot, dont get TMobile or US Cellular because plain and simple you will not get the coverage you need. They have the smallest nationwide coverage footprints of ANY carrier along with nextel.

Also, dont buy from the little mom and pop shops. I have heard too many horror stories on people getting ripped off on a phone price or people having 1 hour return policies.
[snapback]127663[/snapback]​
[/b]

Actually Chip my nextel voice quality is just about the same as my sprint was and i can tell u this its a hell of alot better than the cingular and us cellular phones i use to sell....

Oh yeah X'S 2 on the razor having a shitty speaker phone

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I have been getting GREAT service on my Razr V3 with T-Mobile. I've gone to the following areas (besides your average just around here or to DG/Schaumburg/Naperville/"East-Side" trips) with this phone, and not once had a problem with no service.. Oh and the phone is pretty beat to hell, FWIW.

-Eastern Illinois University
-Monmouth
-Through Illinois along 57/80
-Through Wisconsin along 94 (service switched along the way to..)
-St.Paul/Minneapolis-Minnesota
-La Fayette, Indiana (service switched to "Centennial")

I want to see how T-Mobile works ON Lake Michigan over the summer.

Best of all though, is that T-Mobile works in Beverly! I believe that Beverly is right on the edge of Verizon's towers, as my friends (2 have Verizon still) and I (when I had Verizon) would get many dropped calls/lost calls, or no service, and my phone (LG VX6000-great phone) did not work in MY bedroom.

Many of my friends have Cingular, and don't have many, if any problems with their service. My friend with US Cellular hasn't had any complaints either..

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I had Tmobile for a few years. They were ok, but decided to dick around constantly.

I now have Cingular and have no complaints.

Stay away from Sprint-tel. Everyone and their mother that I talk to that has it ends up leaving me hanging in the middle of a conversation.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@May 29 2006, 04:37 PM
la la la la la!!!

People are trying to help you in this thread.... BUT you STILL havent said where you live and where you will be using it mostly... because THAT is the biggest decider on what service you get.
[snapback]127832[/snapback]​

I'm in lokcport, and nextel told me they don't have crap for service out here, and this is where i mainly use it.

LeeGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Sprint have been good to me for 4 years just dont go pass your spending limit. They will cut your phone off in a heartbeat.

chipmonk212121 when is the new Sanyo phones coming out. I heard soon and their suppose to be bad ass. I'm eligilbe for the $150 phone upgrade and I'm waiting for the Sanyo releases.

Lee

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
Wireless Service...

I've had Verizon... they were okay... I've had AT&T/Cingular they were expensive, but good... right now I'm on a go-phone with Boost Mobile for $49.99/month (taxes included), I only get 300min/month, but unlimited txt, unlimited web, unlimited nextel two-way, free nights/weekends where our nights start at 7PM now... so I'm happy with their service for now...

Home Phone Service...

I have Vonage Unlimited through my Comcast for $19.99/month and it's great!! Probably why I'm on a low minute plan with my Nextel... the Vonage service is awesome!! I like being able to check my voicemail and caller id online from work!

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@May 29 2006, 06:57 PM
i know verizon and cingular work out there.  cahdd isnt too far from there i think and he has sprint.
[snapback]127855[/snapback]​

Yeah im Like 15min from lockport My Mim is asst manager for sprint on Webber rd in Bolingbrook She can get u a kick ass deal on a sprint phone Juss go in and ask to talk to Robin and u know her son (me) Chad and u wana get a phone she will give u the hook up

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info