3800 Finally going to the track

Ok so today I plan on going to the track today. A group of friends and I plan on going to US-41 at around 4ish. I will be running the GTP untuned (except a 1.5 bin). Some of my friends that are going have another GTP, 96-98 mustang GT, 76 and 77 cutlass with 455's, a stock 70 something corvette, and a 11 sec 5.0 mustang.

I would love to run 12's, but I really think mid to low 13's are in my future. I wish that I have done more to prepare for tonight but I really have been busy. But above all I hope to beat my friends in the GTP and the 96-98 mustang.

I don't know what the GTP has nor does he know what I have done. But the mustang has an X pipe, flowmasters, CAI, and I think thats about it. He really beats the shit out of his car so I'm not too worried. But he is a pretty good driver though.

But I guess now I will finally have a timeslip to see where I'm at.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by migs109@May 26 2006, 12:08 PM
Ok so today I plan on going to the track today. A group of friends and I plan on going to US-41 at around 4ish. I will be running the GTP untuned (except a 1.5 bin). Some of my friends that are going have another GTP, 96-98 mustang GT, 76 and 77 cutlass with 455's, a stock 70 something corvette, and a 11 sec 5.0 mustang.

I would love to run 12's, but I really think mid to low 13's are in my future. I wish that I have done more to prepare for tonight but I really have been busy. But above all I hope to beat my friends in the GTP and the 96-98 mustang.

I don't know what the GTP has nor does he know what I have done. But the mustang has an X pipe, flowmasters, CAI, and I think thats about it. He really beats the shit out of his car so I'm not too worried. But he is a pretty good driver though.

But I guess now I will finally have a timeslip to see where I'm at.
[snapback]127587[/snapback]​

Is that mustang from the East side? Brown or biege color? Isnt it suppose to rain today? What kind of rubber do you have? Sorry for all the questions :blahblah:

Good Luck

Thanks guys but reality hit me pretty hard. The best run I had was like a 14.6. I think a lot had to do with me never racing at the track before. It really is different from the street I think. My 0-60 were like 2.2 and over. I just couldn't really hook that well. And then on my second run I guess I had my shift points too high or maybe its because I didn't do anything to the mph folder in my tuner, but it didn't want to shift into third. Then again I had just got there with about a hour drive so I'm sure my trans was really hot.

Right now I have Traction T/A's. But ya that mustang was from the East Side but he just moved out to somewhere in Hammond. It is black with tints and was a sticker on the side of his window that says "No fats chick, car will scrape".

And I did get a chance to race him. But I slept on the light and keep spinning about a 1/4 way down the track and still pulled on him and only lost by less than a 1/10th of a second.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
sorry to hear the poor times....with all the mods you have, plus an ic, i only ran 12.98 w/ a 1.8 60'. i would think with the right tuning, and maybe a 3.0 pulley (race gas if needed) you could get close to 12's.

i guess i dont understand when i see people running 2.2+ sixty foot times...with normal street tires, i run a 2.0 on most runs, and i have clipped 1.9's before. i have a few friends that have done the same thing. one of them with 20's on the car. are you flooring it out of the hole? you just have to find the breaking point...i mean find out you can launch it at 60% throttle then 20 feet you can gradually go to WOT so just before the 60' mark, you're WOT and not breaking loose. track prep is an issue as well though. but i heard some people saying byron wasnt prepped very well at the race day....i was there the day before with street tires pulling 2.0's consistantly...like syp said, times depend on the driver, as well as the tune.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
i can understand "ah what the hell *squeal*", however its the main reason your times and trap speed are so poor.

street tires are not meant to be put under stress like that. you shouldn't burn out before the run, and you shouldnt do it down the track.

You want to be at the point the tires are going to break loose but dont - all the way down the track

also deflate your front tires next time

if you keep spinning your tires past the 60', not only are you going to put on a good show, but your times are gonna suck - aka 14.6 sec

even at byron, you should be able to pull low 13's with those mods. my buddy's 73 corvette 454 pulled 13.8, and I can guarantee you have more horsepower than he does

Ya I already have a savings seperate for my trans. My reaction time was pretty bad too. I already know that I should have taken off on the 3rd yellow, but I guess I just froze up. I hope it was just a first time thing. And I didn't have a pressure gauge so I didn't take out any air. But I think I could do some minor things such as changing plugs and wires and stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info