3800 98 Riviera, need case learn...Mike to the rescue?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Well, one of my best friends (since HS) Eric has a 98 Riviera, just finished a rebuild after spinning a rod bearing (42.5's, AFC, short IC, cam, 3.0 pulley) and we are having an issue with the cam sensor code tripping, the car runs great when cold for 5-10 minutes then starts running like crap (almost like a solid random misfire)
I know we need a case learn done, but a cam sensor signal code isnt a symptom of that...he had no issues before the rebuild so we are looking at the possibility of getting Mike K (Eric has been corresponding/emailing with you...) to do a caselearn for us, so that i can procced with diagnostics.
Before i got involved he had tried 3 different magnets, 2 or more sensors, a new crank/cam sensor harness, and just recently new ICM and coils with no major changes...and this is where i stepped in.
It looks like ive got him decided on an HP tuners package (not everyone has stuff fer the Riviera's) for the required tuning, and it looks like i may be throwing an HD upgrade in his trans when that finally goes...
But we are wondering what would the possibility of getting a CASE learn done either friday during the day or saturday afternoon from Mike, i dont know if he'll be able to get ahold of ya so i'd figured i would post up and see if others have had a cam sensor code issue...at least in the chitown area...
I would like to be there to lend him a hand, and meet Mike....and since the 442 is only three blocks away (close to 53 and Palatine rd -Winston being just off on palatine rd) ya may also want to take a look at it... :D
If any thing i hope Mike can help us out, and i look forward to meeting you.

Regards, James

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well i think i may have figured out a possible issue with the cam sig wire from the ICM to the PCM...so this saturday after finishing more work on the 442, i will be over at Eric's tracking down the source of the P0341 code, and get it fixed. then maybe the PCM will/will not trigger the 1336 ckp learn code and get that taken care of.

Mike K, Eric told me he was trying to get ahold of you, it looks like we've decided on the DHP powrtuner, and he will be talking to you on that matter

Regards, James

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well found wire problem fixed it (broke at the firwall connector near the trans dipstick, he didnt know he could disconnect the harness there and looks like it pinched the ICM to PCM black wire ckt 630 cam signal

car runs much better, we have an 0300 not a solid missfire so it must be cam induced, he needs to get the case learn done and get a powrtuner

i have a feeling Eric will be spending a few $ :) he's so happy his baby is running again.

regards, James

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Turbocharged400sbc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list