3800 FAIR MUFFLER

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I just went over a car that had a DP done there.
The flex was in the wrong spot, causing the exhaust to droop. The flange to DP weld had a pinhole leak big enough to fit a toothpick through. The flange was also welded to the DP a little off, and the DP was rubbing the firewall. The weld to the cat was coated with muffler cement on the top where you couldn't see it installed on the car. Lastly, the cat to flange that transitioned from 3" to 2.25 was done with no smooth transition. Also the DP bolts were impacted on, one of them was seized on the stud, and not even holding against the flange. I had to use a breaker bar to get it off, and re-tap the stud and nut so the DP could be fastened correctly.

Maybe I nitpicked a lot, but since I was making a race pipe I had to fix all the DP problems before I could simply weld it in. What should have taken me an hour took three.

I just don't get how a giftware salesman can make better welds with a flux core wire-feed MIG, than a professional muffler shop!

OK, rant over...flame suit on!

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@May 14 2006, 01:50 AM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I just went over a car that had a DP done there.
The flex was in the wrong spot, causing the exhaust to droop. The flange to DP weld had a pinhole leak big enough to fit a toothpick through. The flange was also welded to the DP a little off, and the DP was rubbing the firewall. The weld to the cat was coated with muffler cement on the top where you couldn't see it installed on the car. Lastly, the cat to flange that transitioned from 3" to 2.25 was done with no smooth transition. Also the DP bolts were impacted on, one of them was seized on the stud, and not even holding against the flange. I had to use a breaker bar to get it off, and re-tap the stud and nut so the DP could be fastened correctly.

Maybe I nitpicked a lot, but since I was making a race pipe I had to fix all the DP problems before I could simply weld it in. What should have taken me an hour took three.

I just don't get how a giftware salesman can make better welds with a flux core wire-feed MIG, than a professional muffler shop!

OK, rant over...flame suit on!
[snapback]125766[/snapback]​

X'S 2 LOL this is the down pipe on my car he is talking about here...Oh yeah Ron nice job on the remake of the downpipe and the new gutted cat sounds nice B)

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
wow thats weird voytecs has had no issues, and i think preesusin is very happy with his, and he tried a few flex option on where to put it, he had it in the same place as the jimmy c/ w-bodystore DP n the pipe flexed the wrong way. with the flex in the current location it flexed back and forth with the motor

the welds that are in my system are great and some look very machine welded
none ct parts im refering to

jimmy c peices are nice except even when i had onein hand the flex in the didnt move teh way it should
it was more if the DP was strected and thats not the point of flex

so chad has the car run now

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I still have the cat, next time you're around I'll show it to you. They may do good work the rest of the time, just not on this one!

I'm not the greatest welder in the world either, but trust me...one of the welds was really bad; even my wife thought it looked bad, and she's not into this stuff at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info