3800 GT/LS Mods

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
My buddy with a 98 Regal LS is looking to do some minimal/relatively inexpensive mods to his car. I suggested..

-Front ported exhaust manifold
-2.5" bolt in downpipe to replace the stock downpipe and u-bend
-Remove the resonator on the catback (enhances the sound from our Regals mufflers, and helps flow; since our catback is a little more restrictive then Grand Prixs)
-PCM Tune w/ 180* thermo
-Alternator re-wire (not a mod persay)
-GM strut tower brace (slight handling improvement)
-Shiftkit

and he mentioned reading something about the HVII, and was wondering, as well as myself on what exactly its benefits are, and if there is any downsides to adding one to his car.

He is NOT looking to do a turbo kit, cam, rockers, headers, or an intake besides the K&N panel since he doesnt want to hear the annoying sucking and scratching from the IAC.

Thanks
-Nick

sounds to me like you pretty well have it covered for him. .Except i disagree with the DP size - i suggest 3"

and tell him not to be a sissy and add some type of intake..at least gut the stock airbox!

and rockers are a great idea as well . . but he doesn't want em

PCM (DHP with performance shift?)
CAI
3" DP
resonator delete
2.5"in exhaust
PEMs - plural
104s
rockers - any size
180* stat

what else...?

black00gt

Aug 21, 2008
Watch out w/ the HVII, I had it on, and well it works, it's nice to have in the high RPM's (especially w/ DHP and perf. shift, getting up to 6200rpms is nice) but make sure you get the corect torque specs for the bolts that hold down the plenum, i didn't and my plenum ended up warping and I had a bad coolant leak, luckily i didn't get any coolant into the cylinders.

I've also heard that having it on starts hurting you once you've done too much exhaust work....which I don't know exactly where that line is drawn, but I think you can do everything (Hi-flo cat, res delete, diff. mufflers) besides headers before it will start hurting you. I don't know this for sure though, so if there is someone who does please correct me.

Originally posted by black00gt@May 11 2006, 08:46 PM
Watch out w/ the HVII, I had it on, and well it works, it's nice to have in the high RPM's (especially w/ DHP and perf. shift, getting up to 6200rpms is nice) but make sure you get the corect torque specs for the bolts that hold down the plenum, i didn't and my plenum ended up warping and I had a bad coolant leak, luckily i didn't get any coolant into the cylinders.

I've also heard that having it on starts hurting you once you've done too much exhaust work....which I don't know exactly where that line is drawn, but I think you can do everything (Hi-flo cat, res delete, diff. mufflers) besides headers before it will start hurting you.  I don't know this for sure though, so if there is someone who does please correct me.
[snapback]125521[/snapback]​

Whats HVII never heard of it, or at least in that abbreviation.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by black00gt@May 11 2006, 08:46 PM

I've also heard that having it on starts hurting you once you've done too much exhaust work....which I don't know exactly where that line is drawn, but I think you can do everything (Hi-flo cat, res delete, diff. mufflers) besides headers before it will start hurting you.  I don't know this for sure though, so if there is someone who does please correct me.

Thats about right. I told you that didnt I?? B)

Also glad its working out for you. It felt awsome in the upper RPMs and really good on the highway.

Also where did you get your torque specs from?? I dont remember saying anything about it. IIRC it was supposed to be 8 in lbs of torque.

black00gt

Aug 21, 2008
Originally posted by Fish+May 11 2006, 11:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-black00gt
@May 11 2006, 08:46 PM

Thats about right. I told you that didnt I?? B)

Also glad its working out for you. It felt awsome in the upper RPMs and really good on the highway.

Also where did you get your torque specs from?? I dont remember saying anything about it. IIRC it was supposed to be 8 in lbs of torque.
[snapback]125544[/snapback]​
[/b]

Actually I didn't find torque specs, thats why it screwed up the first time and I haven't put it back on yet...I've been meaning too but I'm friggin lazy and didn't want to risk anything unless I had some money (or a spare motor, which I kind of have now) in case something did get real messed up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info