3800 Paint Color for Interior Trim

I

imported_GraFFix

Im doing Stephs interior now and we had the same problem color matching the original charcoal color. She wanted everything smoothed out but still the same color. Lots of sanding and repainting but it looks good.

What we finally came up with was Dupli-Color Vinyl & fabirc paint - Charcoal gray #HVP111 combined with a clear coat is the closest we were able to get. Got them both at Murrays.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by GraFFix@May 10 2006, 02:07 PM
Im doing Stephs interior now and we had the same problem color matching the original charcoal color. She wanted everything smoothed out but still the same color. Lots of sanding and repainting but it looks good.

What we finally came up with was Dupli-Color Vinyl & fabirc paint - Charcoal gray #HVP111 combined with a clear coat is the closest we were able to get. Got them both at Murrays.
[snapback]125293[/snapback]​

I think that's the one I used lat night - and it turned out way too light.

How about this series of paint?
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/VHT/paint.htm

Have you tried the graphite or dark pewter?

J.E.T.

I

imported_GraFFix

Yes its way to light if you use that color alone...since its a flat color. If you add a clear coat on top of it it changes the whole color, gets darker and actually matches very well to the original.

I havent tried those VHT colors...might be worth a shot but 7 bucks a can is pricey

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

if you have a spray gun, you can get pint and quart cans mixed at a paint supply store. I go to Arnie's in Joliet. It's made by dupont and can be used right out of the can and it is a vinyl and plastic paint. I think they still make their own spray cans as well and may be able to match the color in a single stage paint if thats the way you want to go for the shine.
CJ

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@May 10 2006, 04:22 PM
if you have a spray gun, you can get pint and quart cans mixed at a paint supply store.  I go to Arnie's in Joliet.  It's made by dupont and can be used right out of the can and it is a vinyl and plastic paint.  I think they  still make their own spray cans as well and may be able to match the color in a single stage paint if thats the way you want to go for the shine.
CJ
[snapback]125307[/snapback]​

Do you know how much they want for a custom color spray can? I dont have a spray gun. I'm getting real good with a spray can though! Got a number for them?

I clear coated the HVP111 and it did turn alot darker! Thanks for that tip. But, its still not dark enough to match the original color.

Here's what it looks like (work in progress)
[attachmentid=2759]

J.E.T.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

I'm not sure, I have never had to get a spray can, I'm really not sure if they still do it, you would have to call up and check on that. If you are having that much trouble matching and you can find a flat piece, or maybe a piece of leather from the seat or something, they have a dupont color eye that can "see" the color and get pretty close from that. We have had to do that for a couple paint jobs on cars with custom colors and no paint code. They matched it pretty well. You should be able to find the # for the place from 411. The place is ARNIE'S in Joliet, or you can check with a local paint supply place closer to you. Hope this helps.
CJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list