3800 New home made IC pump

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

So I dabbled with this thing awhile back, but the flow was just too high. A good IC pump requires a large impeller at a slower speed to reduce aeration. So I really wanted to get this thing in-line. The pump itself is a mag drive, so I can swap other motors on it if I fab up a adapter plate.

I used a motor from a pump similar to the ones WBS used to sell that spun at 4740 rpm, and that put the pump at 13GPM with 12 volts, but since my car regulates at 13.8V, it was probably about 14-14.5GPM. I used a drive shaft I made to my multi-speed drill press on the pump to find the various flow rates at different rpms, then headed up to American Science and Surplus to get a motor. They actually had about 5 or 6 different 12v motors that could work, and found one rated at 3700 rpm for only $10. I fabbed up the adapter, then tested it and saw about 9GPM, so that will give me an actual 6-8GPM installed with all my long runs of plumbing.

I still have to clean it up, but here it is:
upload_445a8b3707fe6.jpg

I

imported_Ron Vogel

BTW, I can't replicate this thing, the pump body is VERY expensive. It was pulled from an industrial printing plate developer in the early '90s. I should've got more of them if I knew then what I know now. The body is o-ringed, and chemical resistant. To get it would require buying the whole pump for about $350-450!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list