3800 R.I.P. my motocycle

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Well about an hour ago i decided to take my bike out and not even on it for 10 minutes i come up to the intersection at 159th and will cook, and the light turns yellow and i'm goin straight and the lady on the other side of the street decides to turn right infront of me. I was doin about 45mph, and locked up the brakes for like a second and the bike turned and threw my through the air and i slamed my head off the ground (wasn't wearing a helmet) then i slid/rolled about 20 feet, and the bike ended up slamming into her car. Stupid bitch. I'm alright just a bump on the noodle, and a scrapped up arm, but the bike it totalled, i only had it for a year to.
But ya, she got the ticket, so that was enough to scare the crap out of me for 1 day.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Dude get leathers and a helmet. I don't mean to sound harsh but it's downright foolish to be riding any sort of motorcycle other than a cruiser without a nice jacket and helmet. You're so lucky you got off with a few scrapes.

Money can buy another bike. You can't be bought.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@May 4 2006, 03:24 PM
Dude get leathers and a helmet.  I don't mean to sound harsh but it's downright foolish to be riding any sort of motorcycle other than a cruiser without a nice jacket and helmet.  You're so lucky you got off with a few scrapes. 

Money can buy another bike.  You can't be bought.
[snapback]124526[/snapback]​

well you might think this is stupid and think what u want, but i really don't feel safe with a helmet on, my vision is restricted and i can never hear anything, i just don't like them, i like to be able to see and hear everything around me. I know it seems follish but thats just the way i feel

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 00GTPSC+May 4 2006, 03:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K
@May 4 2006, 03:24 PM
Dude get leathers and a helmet.  I don't mean to sound harsh but it's downright foolish to be riding any sort of motorcycle other than a cruiser without a nice jacket and helmet.  You're so lucky you got off with a few scrapes. 

Money can buy another bike.  You can't be bought.
[snapback]124526[/snapback]​

well you might think this is stupid and think what u want, but i really don't feel safe with a helmet on, my vision is restricted and i can never hear anything, i just don't like them, i like to be able to see and hear everything around me. I know it seems follish but thats just the way i feel
[snapback]124527[/snapback]​
[/b]
I sort of agree with you. When I used to ride a lot, I didn't like wearing helmets in large groups of riders, it hurts side vison. When you are riding with novices, you need to keep an eye on what they're doing. I used to mainly ride at night with little to no traffic, so it didn't worry me much. What your accident was caused by, causes more fatalities than anything else for riders. During the day, even on days as nice as this a helmet is a very good idea. It's a drag, but you get used to it. Drop a few extra dimes, and get a good helmet, the cheaper one's aren't as comfortable, and vison isn't as good.

I wouldn't say get full leathers, but at least a Cordura jacket with back and elbow padding. A good pair of gloves, and boots with ankle support. The pants aren't too practical, but they're a hit with the ladies on cruise nights. When you're in the club, they know you have a bike and all want to go for a ride!

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
sorry to hear that man. I always wear a helmet and have never not worn one so i wouldnt know the vision feeling. BUt one of my friends totalled his cbr on the interstate cuz he got caught by a truck draft, he would be dead right now most likely if he didnt have his helmet on. His helmet has the deepest marks i have ever seen. He was lucky and got away with a dislocated shoulder and some reallyb ad road rash. His bike didnt fair so well though. And he had just dropped 800 for chrome rims, 500 for a jet black paintjob and tons of other stuff. He didnt normally wear a helmet either but this time he did and was very thankful. I dont know if he has ridden a bike since then and this was about a year ago.

They make helmets in many different styles, full face, open face and more. Personally I ike the open face, lets you see just fine. One of the shorter ones will let you hear very well too. If you get one make sure its snell approved that way you can use it at the track.

http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/

Here's one for you......
x5cvuh.jpg

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Originally posted by syP@May 4 2006, 03:53 PM
wtf???

what happened to the woman?? did she stop?
[snapback]124535[/snapback]​

Ya she stopped, my bike hitting her car deployed her air bags so she couldn't go very far, but i really don't think she ever said sorry to me. And i gotta go tomorrow to the junk yard and talk to them about towin my bike to the bike shop so my bro is gonna take some pics for me, so i'll post them soon

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
I agree with Mike K. Wear protection. If you cant hear or see with the proper saftey equipment on, then you shouldnt ride. I have seen too many "grandma pulled out of the wal-mart paking lot and killed a motorcyclist" stories on the news. I dont want to see one of our members on there. Just be careful man.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@May 6 2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with Mike K.  Wear protection.  If you cant hear or see with the proper saftey equipment on, then you shouldnt ride.  I have seen too many "grandma pulled out of the wal-mart paking lot and killed a motorcyclist" stories on the news.  I dont want to see one of our members on there.  Just be careful man.
[snapback]124728[/snapback]​

Its alot easier than it sounds. I dont know if you have ever riden with and without a helmet. Its night and day. I feel the same as 00GTPSC with helmets.

ALthough I never tried a skullcap. Might look cool on cruisers, but not crotch rockets.

Sorry to hear about your bike. :(

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I've ridden with both no helmet and with a helmet and to be quite honest, I'm a much better rider with the protective gear on even if my line of site is slightly restricted. The gear gives you a lot more confidence in that if something does happen you have a significantly better chance of coming out un-skathed.

I sometimes ride around town with no helmet and it's definetly more enjoyable but I value my life more. Perhaps I'm a little skewed as my buddy dropped his bike on 290 last year after getting hit by a Monte Carlo. He rolled and walked away with some light rashes. The helmet he was wearing was pretty roughed up. Without it the scenario may have played out much differently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info