3800 CIA question

• Thread starter imported_Xerxeis
  • Start date
I

imported_Xerxeis

So i'm going to put a CIA in at 60k instead of changing my air filter, and was wondering if there was a way to buy the parts, like pipe and filter, without spending $200 for some kit. So far the best one i've seen is on the W-body store for $200, O'Rileys auto parts said they could only buy the set K&N filter kit, not the seperate parts.

I'm doing the filter in the fenderwell, not the box setup, just fyi.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
If you didnt want to KILL it with the price of a kit.. My friend got the tubing from a junk GP so he didnt have to cut his.. Then he cut it a little befor the intake clip.. He got 3' PVC pipe and I think a 90 degree angled pipe and another Smaller 3' pipe to go through the fender.. Then he did the same K&N cone as me.. 9' I have the part numbers if you want them.. he spent under 55.00 ...

May 24, 2007
PVC would work but not the best idea sorry to say... after a while of it heating up the chemicals used to make and mold the pipe start to come out and the pipe will start to warp some and you could potentially mess up your engine or have an air leak and set off an SES. you could however, buy a U bend that is 3" from a muffler shop and use that. cut the U bend where you want it to angle and put a piece of straight on there throw on a filter and youre set. ive done this many times. we made a whole fenderwall intake for my friends scion tc.

make sure the bend is mandrel bent. and this still comes out way cheaper than buying a kit or PVC.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by Ricky Gonzaelz@May 2 2006, 11:31 AM
PVC would work but not the best idea sorry to say... after a while of it heating up the chemicals used to make and mold the pipe start to come out and the pipe will start to warp some and you could potentially mess up your engine or have an air leak and set off an SES. you could however, buy a U bend that is 3" from a muffler shop and use that. cut the U bend where you want it to angle and put a piece of straight on there throw on a filter and youre set. ive done this many times. we made a whole fenderwall intake for my friends scion tc.

make sure the bend is mandrel bent. and this still comes out way cheaper than buying a kit or PVC.
[snapback]124150[/snapback]​

Ive run 3' pvc fenderwell intake on my car for 5 years. No leaks. No warping. No SES codes. Im willing to bet theres hundreds of people on clubgp as well who have run this setup...Ive never ever heard of a problem. I run it through 2 feet of snow in winter..rain etc..Never had a problem with it getting wet. I have checked to make sure..trust me..5 years ago I was worried nonstop everytime it rained etc

I

imported_Xerxeis

Originally posted by preussenGTP@May 2 2006, 12:11 AM
check this thread out for a CAI

i'm gonna do something similar to this for my GP
[snapback]124114[/snapback]​

Quoth the server, 404

Link no work :(

went to autozone today, they have some metal pipe with a bend in it that i could get 2 of and trim one as needed, but does anyone have pics of their pvc or abs intakes? pvc just sounds wierd and probably would look weird also.

May 24, 2007
Originally posted by dole21+May 2 2006, 06:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ricky Gonzaelz
@May 2 2006, 11:31 AM

[snapback]124150[/snapback]​

Ive run 3' pvc fenderwell intake on my car for 5 years. No leaks. No warping. No SES codes. Im willing to bet theres hundreds of people on clubgp as well who have run this setup...Ive never ever heard of a problem. I run it through 2 feet of snow in winter..rain etc..Never had a problem with it getting wet. I have checked to make sure..trust me..5 years ago I was worried nonstop everytime it rained etc
[snapback]124205[/snapback]​
[/b]
well this is what ive heard. never really experimented with PVC myself but if it works...it works. sorry for the ignorance :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info