3800 ABS light

My ABS light comes on every once in a while. It will come on while driving, never came on while braking. I went to Autozone and they dont have a scanner that will read what the problem is relating to unless there is an SES light

A guy I work with has an Alero and his ABS light came on. He had to go to the dealer and shell out 50-60 bucks just for them to read it and tell him the problem. It ended up being a bad wheel hub and the sensor that connects to it. When he got the code read, it specified which wheel it was too.

My question to you is; will a powertuner or a tuning software read this ABS code, or am I just screwed and have to take it to a dealer to find out what it is. Also does the light have to be on in order for you to read it...the light comes and goes randomly.

If this is possible....would someone be able to help me out and read the code....$$$...for helping me out. I just dont want to go to the dealer. I live in Montgomery and am willing to drive to meet.

Thanks for any info and help

Jeremy

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
a 2000 enabled powertuner will be able to read the codes. thats not a problem.

another cause of the light could be the ABS sensor's wiring harness. I had the problem within a week of buying the car. I figured it was bullshit, took it to the dealer, and got it fixed for free :).

Someone was talking about someone having a 2000 PT IIRC. Check with them. Hopefully it's something stupid that can easily be fixed.

Well, I'm gonna check out the sensors tommorrow and wait a week or so to see if it comes back on.

I still would like to scan it to see exactly where it's coming from...anyone with a year 2000 PT...$$$...? Like I said before, not sure if it will detect the code if the light randomly goes off and on. It's not an SES light like someone was mentioning in this post, it's an ABS light.

BTW, a bad wheel bearing wouldn't set it off would it? I've been meaning to change my right front for a while, I dont hear it but by the looks of it, it needs to be changed.

Jeremy

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by BigJermGTP@Apr 30 2006, 12:17 AM
Well, I'm gonna check out the sensors tommorrow and wait a week or so to see if it comes back on.

I still would like to scan it to see exactly where it's coming from...anyone with a year 2000 PT...$$$...? Like I said before, not sure if it will detect the code if the light randomly goes off and on. It's not an SES light like someone was mentioning in this post, it's an ABS light.

BTW, a bad wheel bearing wouldn't set it off would it? I've been meaning to change my right front for a while, I dont hear it but by the looks of it, it needs to be changed.

Jeremy
[snapback]123842[/snapback]​
When i had a abs light on my car i went to the local shop and asked if i could use the scanner. It happened to be a snap on scanner and i could drive and see the mph on every wheel. My RF wheel MPH was jumping all over the place because i had a broken wire. I have a powertuner but i dont think it can be used for ABS codes. I have never seen any options like than on the PT. BTW, if you get a wheel bearing for your RF it will come with a wheel speed/abs sensor, because it is all in one unit. It is usually a wheel speed sensor that sets off the abs light. Check the wiring, in the front the clip could have came undone and the wires cound be rubbing the half shaft boot.
Good Luck

BigJermGTP

Regular
Mar 28, 2008
Montgomery
Originally posted by Toasty@Apr 30 2006, 07:58 PM
BigJermGTP--

You're already in Montgomery--

Swing on over to Farm and Fleet, and ask for Mike in service (no thats not me, but the Service Manager) They've got the Snap-on Scanner that will read the ABS codes

if i recall correctly, scanning your car for ABS issues is about $40... cheaper than the dealer
[snapback]123905[/snapback]​

:D Thanks bro, Im headed there right now, I hope they're still open.

BTW: There are 4 sensors all together, correct? One for each wheel. I haven't gotten around to taking off my tires to check the sensors yet.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by BigJermGTP+May 1 2006, 05:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
@Apr 30 2006, 07:58 PM
BigJermGTP--

You're already in Montgomery--

Swing on over to Farm and Fleet, and ask for Mike in service (no thats not me, but the Service Manager) They've got the Snap-on Scanner that will read the ABS codes

if i recall correctly, scanning your car for ABS issues is about $40... cheaper than the dealer

:D Thanks bro, Im headed there right now, I hope they're still open.

BTW: There are 4 sensors all together, correct? One for each wheel. I haven't gotten around to taking off my tires to check the sensors yet.
[snapback]124071[/snapback]​
[/b]
yep one in each wheel.

Originally posted by Toasty@Apr 30 2006, 07:58 PM
BigJermGTP--

Well I went in there and Mike was not working, Jarod said it would be 60 bucks and I have to wait till Monday. I know it can be a number of things wrong, so I guess I cant be too pissed about the charge. <_< Anyways, I just want this dam light to go off and fix whatever it is.

BTW: I can feel the brake pluse at times before the light goes on. This happens after a few minutes of driving right after I start it up. The light will come on everytime I drive now but not till I've stopped and go a few times.

Ok well thanks for all the help so far, we'll see what happens, I know this is not the end of the world but I hate not knowing what is wrong.

Jeremy

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by BigJermGTP+May 1 2006, 08:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
BigJermGTP--

BTW: I can feel the brake pluse at times before the light goes on. This happens after a few minutes of driving right after I start it up. The light will come on everytime I drive now but not till I've stopped and go a few times.

[snapback]124087[/snapback]​
[/b]
hey, have you checked the wiring harnes yet? What you described it exactly what happened to me when i had a broken wire.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by BigJermGTP@May 1 2006, 09:47 PM
Well I went in there and Mike was not working, Jarod said it would be 60 bucks and I have to wait till Monday. I know it can be a number of things wrong, so I guess I cant be too pissed about the charge.  <_<   Anyways, I just want this dam light to go off and fix whatever it is.

Ok well thanks for all the help so far, we'll see what happens, I know this is not the end of the world but I hate not knowing what is wrong.

Jeremy

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor. This is kind of what happens.. the ABS system is freaking out from a bum reading when you hit the brakes, thus the pulsation (ABS pulsating) and then it just disables itself knowing that whatever its reading from that wheel can't be right/possible, thus the light for the system to be serviced.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by BigJermGTP+May 1 2006, 08:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
BigJermGTP--

Well I went in there and Mike was not working, Jarod said it would be 60 bucks and I have to wait till Monday. I know it can be a number of things wrong, so I guess I cant be too pissed about the charge. <_< Anyways, I just want this dam light to go off and fix whatever it is.

Jeremy
[/b]

yah, Jarod knows whats up, too, tho Mike is the one with ASE certs in brakes/abs...but they won't do you wrong.

like others have said, the most common thing is the wheel sensor, which is usually caused by a failing wheel bearing (more play in the bearing causes more stress on the sensor) If you want to see if you have a bad wheel sensor, jack up each wheel (one at a time) and grab the wheel at 12 and 6, and try and 'rock' the wheel up and down... you shouldnt have play there... if you do, that's you bad bearing, and likely abs sensor, too

the other possibilities, as some have said is the wire harness extension that goes from the frame to the wheel sensor... sometimes the contacts get dirty/spread out, and need to be cleaned and adjusted. the wires also can be chaffed by a sharp object/suspension and cause a short/break... but don't be tempted to just spice a regular wire in there, them harnesses are specialized for the flexing they do. (ed morad can get you a good used one)

the other thing you should double check--- make sure your brake fluid reservoir is full... if it is too low, it will trigger the brake sensor, which will trigger the abs sensor, which will trigger the 'traction off' light....

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Aircal@May 3 2006, 07:18 AM
What gas are you using? Any time my wife fills it she uses the lower grade and it casues my abs light to come on. Goes away after I refill
[snapback]124276[/snapback]​

your ABS light??? i doubt gas would cause that... i've had to use lower grade gas before and it's never been an issue

now, perhaps, its actually for some reason triggering the service vehicle light soon lamp, which could potentially trigger the traction off light, which would in turn trigger the abs light... most likely cause, considering the issue goes away after a fillup... the gas cap wasnt tightened when it was filled last

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Originally posted by Toasty+May 3 2006, 11:12 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Aircal
@May 3 2006, 07:18 AM
What gas are you using? Any time my wife fills it she uses the lower grade and it casues my abs light to come on. Goes away after I refill
[snapback]124276[/snapback]​

your ABS light??? i doubt gas would cause that... i've had to use lower grade gas before and it's never been an issue

now, perhaps, its actually for some reason triggering the service vehicle light soon lamp, which could potentially trigger the traction off light, which would in turn trigger the abs light... most likely cause, considering the issue goes away after a fillup... the gas cap wasnt tightened when it was filled last
[snapback]124398[/snapback]​
[/b]

ABS light. Happened more than once. Only happens when she puts lower grade octane in. Goes off as soon as I fill it with 97. Seen others post up the same thing too.

Originally posted by jj91284@May 11 2006, 09:05 PM
I own a snap on scanner that can read abs/engine/trans codes. Let me know what year your grand prix is?
[snapback]125523[/snapback]​

I have a 2000 GP.

The weekend after I posted this the ABS light went off. I did take the tires off that weekend and unplug and reinstall the plugs for the sensor. Ever since I did that, the light never came back on, and no more random ABS surges as described earlier in the post. Not sure if it was just a dirty sensor or if something else it messed up that I cant tell.

Are you able to read the codes if the light is off? Are they stored like an SES light. I do know the Snap-On scanners have a wheel speed sensor capability, I would like to have this done in order to see if I need a wheel bearing.

Where are you located? Would you be able to meet up and check some of these things out for me. Thanks, let me know if you would like a PM

BTW: I cant read the link for your write up, it says error

Jeremy

JJ91284

Regular
Sep 29, 2008
The snap on scanner can read prior codes as long as the code has showed up in the last 100 ignition cycles (that counts going above 10 mph). I live in Schaumburg which isn't to far from Montgomery.

Thats interesting I viewed the link before I pasted it and it worked let me try to get my write up to show up again. Sometimes the link works and then again sometimes it doesn't work

Originally posted by jj91284@May 11 2006, 10:00 PM
If you can't get the link to work, go to clubgp and use the search function.

Type in the following fields

Search Terms: ABS
          Author: jj91284
    Time Filter: within 3 months

You then should see a thread called " ABS Answers for Some of You"

Thats my write up
[snapback]125532[/snapback]​

Well I did a search and found your post, I must say, that is one of the most technical posts Ive ever seen. I know what your talking about in it, but I would get too dam confused if I tried it myself.

Are you testing with the car on or off when your using the volt meter? When I ask on or off, I mean ignition on, car running or car completly off? If I get really bored and you arent able to help me out with the scanner, I may try this one day.

You got PM.

This is the link...hope it works

ABS Light help Club GP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info