3800 Engine/Trans swap

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
So, an interesting question, at least I thought so...

when any of you are swapping in a used motor/trans etc, do you document it in your vehicle records in any way? finding the stamping numbers on the new block, etc etc? (THIS ALSO INCLUDES AIR BAGS)

Not that it would end up happening, but that it could, if for some reason your car was needing to be ID'd by a non-public viewable VIN or engine code, and the engine/trans etc codes/stampings did not correlate to the body/frame, it could cause some issues with law/insurance. (not that engine/parts swaps cannot be done legally)

Working with the law enforcement and the insurance industry surely has opened my eyes to what kind of things bad peeps will do with stolen parts, etc... and no i aint sayin any of you are stealin things!

But, if you can document your major component swaps, you will be better off in the long run, if you ever have to have those kinds of records

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by Toasty@Apr 27 2006, 12:45 AM

when any of you are swapping in a used motor/trans etc, do you document it in your vehicle records in any way? finding the stamping numbers on the new block, etc etc? (THIS ALSO INCLUDES AIR BAGS)

Not that it would end up happening, but that it could, if for some reason your car was needing to be ID'd by a non-public viewable VIN or engine code, and the engine/trans etc codes/stampings did not correlate to the body/frame, it could cause some issues with law/insurance. (not that engine/parts swaps cannot be done legally)

Working with the law enforcement and the insurance industry surely has opened my eyes to what kind of things bad peeps will do with stolen parts, etc... and no i aint sayin any of you are stealin things! 

But, if you can document your major component swaps, you will be better off in the long run, if you ever have to have those kinds of records
[snapback]123509[/snapback]​

It is early and I am to tired to read, but all pieces of your car (major ones) have a vin stamped on them, your fenders, your hood, your trunk, the frame it is easily traceable.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Blownbyyou+Apr 27 2006, 07:04 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
@Apr 27 2006, 12:45 AM

[snapback]123509[/snapback]​

It is early and I am to tired to read, but all pieces of your car (major ones) have a vin stamped on them, your fenders, your hood, your trunk, the frame it is easily traceable.
[snapback]123514[/snapback]​
[/b]

yeah, there are. but did you know there are also numbers on the engine/trans too...
usually not a problem for most. however, given the right (or wrong) circumstances, if for some reason insurance or law enforcement wants to question the origins of the engine that is in your car, if it doesnt match numbers to the car's VIN, it could cause unwanted headaches prooving your innocense...

in all, im just suggesting to document major component swaps as best possible...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Toasty
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list