3800 did i chunk a piston???

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
alright well here's the senario, the car has been running very rich the past few weeks and ive been trying to tune it in with an afc but not having too much luck. with that being said, last night there was a lot of cars out, I had some sunoco 104 in the garage so i put 2 gallons in just for the smell (no KR before race gas).

well i was about to race, and decided to make a test run first, just to scan and see how rich it was running (figured it was very rich considering the race fuel), and much to my surprise, without adjusting anything, o2's were about 960 (which is low compared to what it was). i stopped, and deicded to log a scan, so i took off, watching the scanner, saw it get to 935mv, and then 1.xx* or kr. so i slowed down and stopped to turn around, and then all kinds of smoke poured from under/outside the car. i shut it down, opened the hood, it wasn't over heating, and it was a smell ive never smelled before. wasn't hot, wasnt rubber, not sure what it was. started it up, it ran perfect. ltft was good, no smoke from the valve cover, but i noticed the vacum 'TEE' on the FPR was split. i was like damn i leaned it out. so i limped it home, and parked it last night. today i pulled the plugs, and they didnt look bad. none were smashed or anything else typical of damaging a piston. i checked the gap they were all right on. so i changed the plugs anyway, got a new vacum tee and everything runs perfect. o2 voltage is back to 980 like it was before with 0*kr.

my question, is it possible to have damaged a piston without messin up a plug, and what the hell was that smell/smoke. i work on cars for a living, but only fix em to stock, not hop-up work lol. wouldnt the vacum line breaking on the FPR cause an extremly rich condition, then a lean condition right after? maybe the rich condition was the smoke? my boroscope (sp) is inop at the moment or i would use it. i dont really feel as it something is wrong but better safe than sorry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list