3800 intercooler/tuning peeps

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I am running the ZZP full IC on my 01 GTP and i also have a powertuner. I am running a breather and it is allowing some unmetered air in to the engine, causing a basically a vac leak at idle and cruise. Can I tap a line between the throttle plate and the MAF sensor and connect it with a hose to a similar fitting in the oil cap. Then, when the crankcase is drawing air in, the engine is metering the air the crankcase is taking in. I got this idea off the club gp site. I know i could tune this problem out but i would rather fix it properly and not just tune over a problem. Here is the thread on club gp if you wish to get some more details.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=30...tmode=1&smode=1
LMK what you all think.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
there's a few options you could get a VE/MAF tune to take care of it but that's not really fixing the problem is it?

you could not run a breather at all but then you'd have a lot of cracnkcase pressure (might blow oilpan gasket etc)

you could drill into the supercharger into the pvc passage or drill a hole in the tb after the maf sensor.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by xierxior@Apr 25 2006, 03:45 AM
are you sure it's the breather? I mean it doesn't allow THAT much air into the motor maybe 0.2 percent more then stock I don't think that would even register on your LTFT's
[snapback]123200[/snapback]​
I am pretty sure it is the breather. I had the computer on and the car idling with my hand over the oil fill and I watched my LTFT's drop until my motor made a squealing sound. When i lifted my had off the oil fill it had a pretty good suction to it.
Today i got a breather that i could slip a hose on it and ran a hose to where the brake booster vac line would plug into s/c and the car didnt like that to much. I thought that because it is after the maff sensor that it would act like drilling in to the T/B. Do i have to drill between the T/B plate and the maff sensor?? Am i able to drill in to the S/C passage with out taking it off the car??

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I went to ZZP's site to verify if the full IC blocks the PCV passage. Here is the add:
-Car idle, streetability and gas mileage remain unchanged
-Works fine year round
-Prevents detonation and chipped pistons
-PCV system remains functional
-Stock EGR function
-3/4" lines and fittings
-New Gen 2 core designs outperm anything available

So, with the PCV not blocked, you shouldnt need a breather - correct?

Did ZZP make IC's that blocked the PCV? I dont remember.

J.E.T.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by 2000gpgt+Apr 25 2006, 06:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior
@Apr 25 2006, 03:45 AM
are you sure it's the breather? I mean it doesn't allow THAT much air into the motor maybe 0.2 percent more then stock I don't think that would even register on your LTFT's
[snapback]123200[/snapback]​
I am pretty sure it is the breather. I had the computer on and the car idling with my hand over the oil fill and I watched my LTFT's drop until my motor made a squealing sound. When i lifted my had off the oil fill it had a pretty good suction to it.
Today i got a breather that i could slip a hose on it and ran a hose to where the brake booster vac line would plug into s/c and the car didnt like that to much. I thought that because it is after the maff sensor that it would act like drilling in to the T/B. Do i have to drill between the T/B plate and the maff sensor?? Am i able to drill in to the S/C passage with out taking it off the car??
[snapback]123277[/snapback]​
[/b]

I'd check with JET to make sure your intercooler infact does cut off the pvc.. you would have to drill BEFORE the throttle blades but after the MAF sensor I don't think this is required tho because I've never heard of anyone doing this?

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Apr 29 2006, 12:11 AM
I went to ZZP's site to verify if the full IC blocks the PCV passage.  Here is the add:
-Car idle, streetability and gas mileage remain unchanged
-Works fine year round
-Prevents detonation and chipped pistons
-PCV system remains functional
-Stock EGR function
-3/4" lines and fittings
-New Gen 2 core designs outperm anything available

So, with the PCV not blocked, you shouldnt need a breather - correct?

Did ZZP make IC's that blocked the PCV?  I dont remember.

J.E.T.
[snapback]123742[/snapback]​

If i put the oil cap on and runt he car, with in 20 sconds it startd to make a high pitched squeal because the crankcase cannot get air. So there for i have got to run the breather. There is an "inlet" and an "outlet" per say on the PCV system, of which one is on the TB side of the SC and the other on the LIM side of the SC. Provided that the TB side hole is open to incoming POST MAF air flow, then that side is correct, then you only have to make sure that there is an appopriate "hole" to go from the bottom of the SC and into the LIM through the Intercooler. There is one hole in my ic core and that is the crankcase to pcv. I and pretty damn sure that it did not have a hole to go from the supercharger to the lim. SO that means the crankcase cannot suck in air because the ic core blocks that path and the only other way is to run the breather. I would have drilled the hole throught the ic plates if i would have known, but i was kinda a newbe to engines and the intercooler. The directions that came with the kit didnt say anything about this situation. I have my MAF table adjusted to correct the problem, i was at 16.4 on my LTFT at idle becaues that air is not being read by the maf sensor. I dont like tuning over problem that i know can be fixed, it would rather fix it the correct way. And now to correct the problem properly and with out rigging it i need to pull my ic and drill the approiate hole. Thanks ZZP!!
I've attached two pics in order to help visualize.

post-122-1146029807.jpg

post-122-1146030113.jpg

I have the blue hole in my ic core for the pcv. But i do not have the red or yellow so the crankcase cannot suck air through those holes because the ic plates block it. That is why i need the breather.
BTW
I probably will not be drilling into my TB because that would also be kinda rigging it.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
here is a pic of the core that i have off the zzp site. You can see where there should be holes on the core to correspond with the lim to supercharger.
420_2.jpg

nevermind on the yellow one if you have a machined lim. I have the machined lim.

This is my conclusion based of my ideas and others with the zzp ic. So if i am completly wrong I am not looking to get bashed, I just want help to get to the bottom of the situation.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Now i have here is a pic and a quote from the WBS.
We are one of the few vendors to retain the PCV system - This means that you do not have to use breathers on each of your valve covers. It also means an easier installation.
intercoolerextreme.jpg

Notice how this core has the hole circled in red.
I dont want to start vendor bashing, I am simply using this for a comparison.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Apr 30 2006, 10:38 AM
And now to correct the problem properly and with out rigging it i need to pull my ic and drill the approiate hole.

STOP here.

You cannot drill the ZZP IC because that inlet hole is within the region of the core. (info from Zoomer himself)
[snapback]123864[/snapback]​
correct, I found that out last night after i made that post.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info