3800 Car Having Major Issues

Well it has been a continuing problem with a misfire on cylinder two. I have changed my spark plug wires once, put in spark plugs twice, and then finally replaced the fuel injectors. Zack can attest to all of this. We scanned the car at WOT and the same thing every single time misfires on cylinder 2 and plenty of knock. My check engine soon light blinks and then comes on it eventually turns itself off.

This morning I started my car and it was sputtering and my tach needle was jumping all over the place. I had to go so I drove it and it would rev all over the place and almost die. When I tried to get up to speed it gets stuck at certain rpms and will not go any faster. It sounds like the engine is really having a hard time. It is really loud too. My check engine soon light will blink many times more than just with a misfire and then stay on. Every time I try to get up to speed it does the same thing and my check engine light blinks and then stays on.

Sorry so long I am worried something is really wrong. I have to pass emissions end of next week and I doubt it will pass in this condition. If anyone can help you have to see this in person to really understand it I cannot explain it. So pretty please if anyone has any ideas or can help me out I would really appreciate it :) . Thank you so much...

Morgan

May 24, 2007
this sounds familiar....oh yea it happened to me!! well i dont know if it can be the same thing that was wron with mine but cylinders 1,3&5 were misfiring on my gtp. it turns out it wasnt bad plugs but bad cables. inspect your plug on cylinder 2 and check the porceline (sp...i dont know oh well) and see if its cracked at all. what happened with mine was the wires were bad so it was arcing thru the porceline on the plug and not creating a spark. this would make my car studder alot and my CEL come on all the time and go away. everynow and then i was able to drive it but then it would happen again. i just replaced the wires and plugs on 1,3,5 and now im good to go. check your plug!!!! if it is get new wires and you should be fine. hope this helps!

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
You don't have a snowball's chance in hell of passing emissions if you have the SES light on.

Swap wires and coils to rule out those as issues. Swap the plug as well. I'm afraid though that when you pull that plug, you might see something you're not going to like. :(

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
With the previous troubleshooting you have done, it seems you are down to either
- coil (easy to find out, swap out one)
- piston :(

I seem to recall the coil was also eliminated as the problem.

Expand the list to valve train
- broken spring
- loose rocker

Sorry, not much help without digging into the engine.

J.E.T.

Who is willing to do some digging for me? The spark plug wires are stock and I bought them from the dealer and this is the second set of spark plugs that has went into the car. Zack and I looked at the cylinder 2 spark plug and did not see any damage. All my coil packs tested out fine. I think it is time for some digging... I am free this weekend and most of friday. Let me know I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. When it comes to engines I have very limited knowledge and I would like to pass emissions the first time.

Morgan

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Apr 5 2006, 04:03 PM
With the previous troubleshooting you have done, it seems you are down to either
- coil (easy to find out, swap out one)
- piston  :(

[snapback]120831[/snapback]​

If you've already swapped coils and not hand any problems, it does sound like a piston problem. How long ago did you do the plugs? What do they look like when you pulled em out last time?

Hopefully its not a piston..but with everything else you've done and changed..its got the makings of it :(

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
I had a misfire on cylinder 1 of my regal, l36. Could not get it to go away. Swapped plugs, wires and the coil pack. I finally pulled the engine and replaced the Upper and lower intake manifolds, and the problem went away. I had to change the rear main seal too... When I was taking off the upper intake manifold, several bolts were like finger tight.

Randy

May 24, 2007
ok so i just got done looking at Morgans car and we came to a conclusion that it might be a crank position sensor that my be faulty and is retarding the timing to the coil packs. i checked all her plugs and they are fine. one wire was not on the plug right but i fixed that and she said it felt alittle better but still bogs down some. either she is gonna get the sensors checked or well check them later. but i doubt it is the pistons. we scanned the car and it came up with a P0300 DTC which is multiple cylinder misfire. the crank sensor is what we came up with because it controls the firing of all the plugs.

does this sound like it can be a problem?? CKS?? or the cam sensor could be off too.... well find out soon.

Opinions ppl i need feedback here.

Well thanks alot to Ricky for working on my car, that is pissing me off. It looks like my dad is going to help me out with repairs so it is going to the evil dealership Tues to have them charge me an arm and a leg to to tell me whats wrong with it. Then hopefully fix it we will see though. I will keep everyone updated I am ready to figure out what is wrong... Thanks again for all the replies and help I greatly appreciate it.

Morgan

UPDATE!!!!!!!

Well the car is fixed for now. Only had to put about 1600 into it. Hopefully now it will pass emissions on friday. I am not even going to list all the things they did. To give you a picture... Spark Plug wires, two coil packs, lower manifold gaskets... Lets just say my car was leaking oil and coolant and I did not even know. My car is driving so nicely now, so I am happy :) . I can now drive again... Thanks everyone especially Ricky for his help and everyones advice. You are all AWESOME!!!!! Have a wonderful rest of the week and Easter.

Morgan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info