3800 Exhaust Leak??

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I did notice something interesting on my way home after the rear PEM install. Is it easier to tell if you have a leak while your cars is in park started it up, or while your cruising? When I am at a normal cruise I can here a ticking coming from the front of my car. I do not know what an exhaust leak sounds like, but what I am trying to explain sounds like a sewing machine type sound. I didnt start noticing it untill the rear PEM was put in. I dont see any smoke coming under the hood or where the rear PEM is, but I am not good at figuring out where this type of problem is. I remember after Ron installed my 1.8 rockers and 90 lb springs he said my car may sound like a sewing machine. I was wondering when I got the rear PEM installed it enhanced that sound due to more air being let out.

Anyone??

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You should hear a ticking noise under load, especially with the car cold if it's an exhaust leak.

If you can put the car up on jackstands, you can feel around the pipes with the car running to feel for air around leak prone areas. It helps if you dampen your palms to feel for leaks...and it's easier on a cold car.

I'd suspect the rear mani to DP flange first. I like to tighten it down with the upper engine mounts disconnected to ensure no leaks. Sometimes they won't line up right, and muffler shops just goop a bunch of sealant (aka fireplace mortar) in there to close it up. That will usually only last 3 days to a couple of weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• MIKES3
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list