3800 Trans seal?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Coming home Saturday night I notice a plume of smoke in the rear view, and then a nice burning fluid smell. I pull over and notice transmission fluid pouring out from underneath the car. I was practically a block away from my house, so I took it home, all the while it kept pouring out. Looked to be from between the transpan and the oil pan from what I could see.

I took it the the local trans shop which called today and said that from what they so far have seen, it looks to be a seal, but they wanted the OK to drop the summabitch to confirm and fix it, if that is indeed what it is. J/O had mentioned that it looked like something was up with one of my axles, but I dont recall exactly what he said.

There goes 50 bucks worth of fluid down the drain from the pan drop. Figures the asshole trans would take 9 quarts worth of fluid (yes, 9) and spew it all a week later. Oh well now it will have all fresh fluid. :rolleyes:

Anyone know exactly what might be the problem? I mean, I have an idea from what he said, but I'm still lost. :blink:

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Update: They are replacing the differential cover gasket, 3rd gear clutch (hmm.. first trans was rebuilt due to loss of 3rd gear, now this one was showing visible, [not driveable from what I could tell] signs of needing the 3rd gear clutch replaced?) as well as a few odd and ends, and something else that was cracked? Differential? :unsure:

I recieved this news from my dad who knows very little car lingo, so this is a half-assed update (I wasn't around when they called Friday or today) but I'm going to find out all the details, as well as pick it up (fixed) tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SaturdaysGS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list